Search: Posts made by: SMS
Forum: Techniques October 15th 19, 10:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/15/2019 3:03 AM, sms wrote:

snip

Jay: please buy this and report back.

One thing I didn't notice which is a great feature "it can be topped up
itself while in use." So you can use an...
Forum: Techniques October 15th 19, 08:47 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/15/2019 9:58 AM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

I don't doubt your report but since there are more pickups sold than
sedans, it wouldn't surprise me that truck driver behavior spans the
full...
Forum: Techniques October 15th 19, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By SMS
Government helping cyclists. Again, dammit.

On 10/15/2019 8:27 AM, AMuzi wrote:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10/15/13/19702896-7572381-Another_hilarious_scenario_shows_a_sign_warning_drivers_to_be_ca-a-9_1571141021452.jpg

As a child...
Forum: Techniques October 15th 19, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/15/2019 7:20 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Don't make it political. All of us make pronouncements based on our personal experience, and Frank is fundamentally right that on most paved streets,...
Forum: Techniques October 15th 19, 11:16 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/15/2019 12:14 AM, John B. wrote:

snip

A "chain saw helmet"? I understand the face shield, but the helmet?
Maybe cut down a tree and it falls on your head?

I could have sworn that many...
Forum: Techniques October 15th 19, 11:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/14/2019 8:05 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

If what you say is even remotely true why aren't you recommending face
shields, after all they are quite common on motorcycle helmets and
would...
Forum: Techniques October 15th 19, 11:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/14/2019 7:48 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Although low hanging branches are very rare in most urban settings and certainly not a justification for retina burning mega lights on city streets...
Forum: Techniques October 15th 19, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/14/2019 9:18 AM, wrote:

snip

Frank has trouble empathizing with someone else's situation and needs. That the reason he getting on the nerves of some of us including...
Forum: Techniques October 14th 19, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/14/2019 9:18 AM, wrote:

snip

Oh, and a tree branch doesn't have to be 80mm diameter to be
a problem. Even something smallish in the face while riding
is a...
Forum: Techniques October 14th 19, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/14/2019 7:32 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 9:57:12 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 10/14/2019 6:04 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:

snip

All I can tell you john, is that...
Forum: Techniques October 14th 19, 04:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 10/14/2019 7:23 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Although low hanging branches are very rare in most urban settings and certainly not a justification for retina burning mega lights on city streets...
Forum: Techniques October 14th 19, 02:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/14/2019 6:04 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:

snip

All I can tell you john, is that avoiding low branches and bushes is a daily occurrence on my rides. Like frank, just because it isn't your...
Forum: Techniques October 13th 19, 07:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/13/2019 9:01 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Oddly, I encounter branches fairly frequently just commuting, and If I'm not paying attention in the dark, I can get whacked. This is the ride home:...
Forum: Techniques October 13th 19, 12:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/12/2019 9:57 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

OT, but I've been skating on chestnut shells lately. I was set into a corner and hit a bunch of chestnuts and about went down last week. I was in the...
Forum: Techniques October 13th 19, 12:25 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/12/2019 9:57 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Some years are better than other with sweeping, but generally speaking, he segregated facilities don't get swept -- or they get swept very...
Forum: Techniques October 12th 19, 04:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/11/2019 9:39 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

No, nor has it purchased ponies for the kiddies.

That's a shame. Kids love ponies.

And actually we have little street sweepers, but not little...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 19, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 76
Posted By SMS
John Forester Speaks

On 10/10/2019 3:11 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

I would have to ask, "what is the sense of having a law if one can't
be bothered to enforce it?"

Because if the law makes sense then most people...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 19, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/10/2019 12:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

So, as I mentioned above, they're putting these thing in places that prevent the buses from pulling to the curb, which creates danger chutes with...
Forum: Techniques October 10th 19, 03:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/10/2019 4:26 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:

snip

In Germany, that's the most normal thing of the world.* In Heidelberg,
we have a one-way street with 2,500 cyclists per day and direction, and...
Forum: Techniques October 10th 19, 03:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 76
Posted By SMS
John Forester Speaks

On 10/9/2019 3:59 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Maybe not, but perhaps a 20MPH speed limit will result in vehicles going
35MPH, while a 35MPH results in vehicles going 50MPH.

Thus speaks the...
Forum: Techniques October 9th 19, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 76
Posted By SMS
John Forester Speaks

On 10/8/2019 11:51 PM, Lars Lehtonen wrote:

snip

Creekside trails scare the **** out of me, as here in California there
are people living on them 24/7, and they are a police-free-zone.

1....
Forum: Techniques October 9th 19, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/9/2019 2:37 AM, John B. wrote:

The problem with all the "solutions" is that they are usually not
strictly enforced.

Exactly.

snip

The secret was, they enforced the law, rigorously.
Forum: Techniques October 9th 19, 04:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 148
Posted By SMS
Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On 10/9/2019 6:44 AM, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 12:32:33 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Here's what all that "Safety Inflation" ultimately generates:

Forum: Techniques October 8th 19, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 76
Posted By SMS
John Forester Speaks

On 10/8/2019 7:14 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Just a heads-up, don't put the sheltered facility and a bus or shuttle stop together. My favorite unnecessary hazard going to work is the sheltered...
Forum: Techniques October 8th 19, 02:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 76
Posted By SMS
John Forester Speaks

On 10/7/2019 3:59 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Lets be rational and say that in the U.S. there will never be any real
change. Speed limits are not going to be lowered and no significant
bicycle...