Showing results 1 to 25 of 27
Search took 0.06 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Roy Zipris
Forum: Rides December 24th 06, 11:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 6
Posted By Roy Zipris
Take heed - Lady, put your dog on a leash on PA St Rt 232.

Regarding what is lawful and what not, when one can use force in
self-defense, and how much force, such questions in the US are governed
by state law, so the answers may vary enormously from state to...
Forum: Techniques December 24th 06, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Roy Zipris
Looking for frame builders for repair

I believe that Tom Kellogg, of Spectrum Cycles, near Allentown, PA,
does repairs. I have not had repairs, but he built me a wonderful bike,
and I'll vouch for his integrity and skill. Regards, Roy...
Forum: General September 23rd 06, 01:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 11
Posted By Roy Zipris
how to tie your shoes

Claire Petersky wrote:
See he http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/bushwalklacing.htm

What in the world were you looking for when you came across this odd
little site?
Regards, Roy Zipris
Forum: Rides September 21st 06, 03:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 5
Posted By Roy Zipris
Bike paths in New Jersey

Fred wrote:
I was hoping someone could recommend a couple of good bike paths in New Jersey or eastern
PA. I live in New Jersey and the next couple of weekends I'd like to find some areas to...

Fred wrote:
I was hoping someone could recommend a couple of good bike paths in New Jersey or eastern
PA. I live in New Jersey and the next couple of weekends I'd like to find some areas to...
Forum: General September 18th 06, 12:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Roy Zipris
Sweetpea Bikes

The daughter of a friend is having a bike built by Sweetpea Bikes, in
Portland:
http://www.sweetpeabicycles.com/blog/?page_id=59. Anyone ride one or
know anything about these folks? Regards, Roy...
Forum: General September 14th 06, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 18
Posted By Roy Zipris
Long rides

Claire Petersky wrote:
For me, the usual daunting point of a century is not the last few miles, as
I figure I can drag my sorry ass a few more miles. I find that where it's
harder for me is...
Forum: General September 13th 06, 12:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 18
Posted By Roy Zipris
Long rides

Several years ago, on a hot, humid, muggy day, 108 miles on the
Princeton Event, hosted by the Princeton Freewheelers. I was helping a
friend attempt her first century (actually, according to cue...
Forum: Techniques September 13th 06, 12:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Roy Zipris
Time to replace those STI cables?

sally wrote:
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
:
We've had a run of people breaking the shifting cables in their STI road
Forum: Techniques September 7th 06, 01:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 46
Posted By Roy Zipris
New Brooks B17 Conditioning Question

Hello, Jay. I'm coming late to this thread, so my contribution may be
redundant. In any event, here it is: if the weather looks threatening,
stuff a plastic baggie (of the supermarket/convenience...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 06, 02:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Roy Zipris
Glueless / selfadhesive tube patches don't work for beans

Glueless patches work for me, except when I'm not careful enough to
ensure a solid seal at that little mold ridge. Patches are my back-up,
if necessary, to the two spare tubes I carry, or for someone...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 06, 02:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By Roy Zipris
When to patch and when to change? [Was What do you carry in your road bike seat pack?]

wrote:
Dear Artoi,
I'm in Pueblo, Colorado.
Jobst is in Denial.

No offense, Mr. Brandt, but that's the first good laugh I've had in
eighteen months. Thank you, Mr. Fogel....
Forum: General September 2nd 06, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 2
Posted By Roy Zipris
Moots vs. Merlin vs. Seven

Merlins are, or were, designed by Tom Kellogg, who is Spectrum Bikes;
Merlin welds his ti frames, though he and his partner do their own
steel bikes. Why not go directly to the source? Tom's a...
Forum: General September 2nd 06, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 34
Posted By Roy Zipris
DiNotte's tail light is unreal.

I don't trust o-rings mounts to hold lights in place well enough, which
might be the reason why that light comes with an extra o-ring.... --Roy
Zipris
Forum: Techniques September 1st 06, 12:38 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Roy Zipris
Source for smaller tire repair patches?

John Crankshaw wrote:
Where to get the smaller patches?

In your sewing kit? Apply a scissor? Regards, Roy Zipris
Forum: Techniques August 29th 06, 04:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 119
Posted By Roy Zipris
Seven Cycles "Sounds Cheap"Touring Frame

R Brickston wrote:
Any suggestions on a frame builder?

Well, where are you? I live outside of Philadelphia, so I decided to
buy a Spectrum (www.spectrum-cycles.com/index.htm) from Tom...
Forum: Techniques August 29th 06, 12:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 119
Posted By Roy Zipris
Seven Cycles "Sounds Cheap"Touring Frame

R Brickston wrote: "Seven won't ship it without their name/logo on it.
Is this a decent
buy or would it be like a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; $5 for the shirt
and $40 extra for the embroidered...
Forum: General August 23rd 06, 12:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 14
Posted By Roy Zipris
deceptive slopes

There's a section of Route 29, along the Delaware River in New Jersey,
that rides like it's uphill in both directions! I've thought about the
wind shifting directions between the morning leg and the...
Forum: Techniques August 15th 06, 01:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Roy Zipris
Chain guide won't fit seat post

Robert Lee wrote:
My chain falls off when I shift from the 50 to the 36 chain ring.
I want to buy a chain guide to prevent this. But none of the three
brands will fit the 12cm seat post of my...
Forum: Rides August 11th 06, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 6
Posted By Roy Zipris
RSVP 2006 Trip Report

Hi, Claire. Where does the phrase "blue room" come from? And what is a
"Dan Henry"? RSVP sounds like a journey I'd like to challenge myself,
one day. Regards, Roy Zipris
Forum: Techniques August 11th 06, 04:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By Roy Zipris
On the topic of presta valves

I took it for granted that it was understood that you "dangle" the
wheel while it is removed from the frame...although it is an amusing
image to think of someone, perhaps misled by my description,...
Forum: Techniques August 11th 06, 12:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By Roy Zipris
On the topic of presta valves

I don't recall where I heard about this technique, but I have tried it
once or twice with no problems: hold the tire with the valve at the
top, and simply let the tire dangle freely as you pump. You...
Forum: General August 2nd 06, 02:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 9
Posted By Roy Zipris
Seattle Shooting

Edward Dolan wrote: [snip]

Dear Saint Edward: You've tarnished your halo. "Have you no sense of
decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?" --Roy
Zipris
Forum: Rides July 30th 06, 11:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 1
Posted By Roy Zipris
Bike Tour in Central NJ

This is, I believe, the "Habitat for Humanity Tour" and it benefits
Middlesex County Habitat for Humanity. I did it several years ago and
found it a nicely-run event, for a good cause. --Roy Zipris
Forum: General July 26th 06, 12:14 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 34
Posted By Roy Zipris
Why do my Brooks saddles last less than one year?

y speculation, based on what you have told us: too much water on the
leather, leave the tension screw alone, too much Proofride.

If you play with the tension screw because of sag *after* the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 27