Search: Posts made by: bob prohaska
Forum: Techniques May 4th 19, 02:17 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By bob prohaska
Setting headset bearings

AMuzi wrote:

I think you said 15ft/lb which seemed reasonable. The only
mfr spec I know is Tange at 200 in/lb or something past
16lbs. That's with two proper...
Forum: Techniques May 2nd 19, 12:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By bob prohaska
Setting headset bearings

John B. wrote:
One thing I have noticed is that the play in the threads is sufficient
on many bikes so that if you hand tighten the lower nut so that the
fit is...
Forum: Techniques May 1st 19, 03:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By bob prohaska
Setting headset bearings

AMuzi wrote:
On 4/30/2019 8:32 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
On one of my bikes (A Breezer Uptown8 grocery chaser) the steering
head bearings tend to work loose over a few...
Forum: Techniques May 1st 19, 02:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By bob prohaska
Setting headset bearings

On one of my bikes (A Breezer Uptown8 grocery chaser) the steering
head bearings tend to work loose over a few months of riding. It
first happened after the dealer set the bike up, so I reset...
Forum: Techniques February 2nd 19, 06:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By bob prohaska
Grocery Bike

John B. Slocomb wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0SEpVo33AM

There are a few such machines in my neighborhood, used daily by
their owners to haul kids to...
Forum: Techniques February 1st 19, 11:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By bob prohaska
Grocery Bike

patrick wrote:
Since I've been contemplating a fetch bike, I thought that perhaps an electra townie type so called flat foot bikes as a grocery getter in that the...
Forum: Techniques February 1st 19, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By bob prohaska
Grocery Bike

wrote:

The problem is - do you continue to use a bike for shopping after the immediate idea that driving there is dumb? Some of you probably have some experience with this -...
Forum: Techniques January 17th 19, 01:53 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 176
Posted By bob prohaska
What is the point of tubeless tires?

wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing riders?

A tubeless tire...
Forum: Techniques October 31st 18, 11:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By bob prohaska
relationship between tire and PSI

Emanuel Berg wrote:
What's the relationship between the quality and
wear of the tire and the PSI one can/should put
in a tube, assuming a brand new tube?

Wear varies...
Forum: Techniques August 20th 18, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By bob prohaska
DH-3N20 bearing adjustment

AMuzi wrote:

I think your hubshell comments are a red herring to bearing
adjustments. Ignore your theory it's not a factor.

Fair enough. The shell stiffness is the...
Forum: Techniques August 19th 18, 05:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By bob prohaska
DH-3N20 bearing adjustment

Steve Weeks wrote:

This video may be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXptXRqxj9c

The narrator simply says, at 13:06, "It's standard cup and cone". The
bearing is...
Forum: Techniques August 18th 18, 12:25 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By bob prohaska
DH-3N20 bearing adjustment

What's the conventional wisdom for setting preload on
Shimano hub dynamo bearings?

On a normal hub I'd adjust the cone finger tight and
set the locknut without moving the cone. The dh-3n20
hub is...
Forum: Techniques August 9th 18, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By bob prohaska
Sunscreen for bicycling

Does anybody have suggestions for sunscreen to wear while bicycling?
I've been using a stock of TopCare SPF30, but it's running out and I
don't particularly like the odor and texture of the...
Forum: Techniques June 6th 18, 03:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By bob prohaska
MTB touring bike

Emanuel Berg wrote:

Save for the color (black), that looks great!
But doesn't that have the save problems as my
military bike? No gears and too heavy?

Are you looking...
Forum: Techniques May 10th 18, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Ralph Barone wrote:

Three white LEDs in series probably needs nearly 10-12 V just to overcome
the diode drop. Try just two in series and see if that helps things.
Forum: Techniques May 7th 18, 04:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Joerg wrote:
Why should bicycle lighting be inferior to car lighting?

Does anybody make a bicycle dynamo that produces more than 3 watts
at 10 mph?

bob prohaska
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/4/2018 12:06 AM, bob prohaska wrote:

I'm curious, what make of dynamo got hot at 10 mph?

The glued-on label has faded out completely....
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 06:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Andre Jute wrote:

My experience is that Shimano dynamos, of which the -72 was once the most desirable model, come up to maximum output faster than SON dynamos, that is,...
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If that's true, then there may be something wrong with the Shimano
dynamo. Got any electronics test equipment, such as an oscilloscope?
Take a look...
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 05:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

wrote:

I am an EE. I recommend that you buy B&M front and rear lights.
There's more to lighting than simply the electronic circuit.
Optics play a crucial role.

Optics...
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 04:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ralph Barone wrote:

Three white LEDs in series probably needs nearly 10-12 V just to overcome
the diode drop. Try just two in series and see if that helps things.

Yes,...
Forum: Techniques May 4th 18, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Sepp Ruf wrote:
David Scheidt wrote:
sms wrote:
:On 5/2/2018 7:49 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
: I finally caved and bought a Shimano dh-3n72 hub for use on my
:...
Forum: Techniques May 3rd 18, 03:49 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 173
Posted By bob prohaska
Dynamo/LED power conditioning

I finally caved and bought a Shimano dh-3n72 hub for use on my
exercise bike. It works fine, but the LEDs flicker quite noticeably
at all speeds. The circuit puts series trios of LEDs in...
Forum: Techniques January 25th 18, 05:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By bob prohaska
Electric bike question please

Bob Newman wrote:
I ride a road bike usually twice a week, usually 30-40 miles each. I used to ride (not average) about 15-16 mph. Due to a few health problems + hitting my...
Forum: Techniques September 26th 17, 03:34 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By bob prohaska
Does anybody make 37-630 tires?

Sepp Ruf wrote:
bob prohaska wrote:

"Ride Tour" 32-630, Conti #0101161, is a 0.57 kilo, 80 PSI, anti-puncture
rubber layered, city/trekking tire, made in China. I...