Showing results 1 to 25 of 74
Search took 1.74 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Phil Armstrong
Forum: UK August 27th 09, 04:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 61
Posted By Phil Armstrong
ummmmm, 'bike'

Wm... wrote:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:31:55
uk.rec.cycling Aard

I've had a longterm...
Forum: UK August 1st 09, 10:50 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Another practical benefit of cycle helmets

Simon Brooke wrote:
http://www.wyff4.com/news/20187786/detail.html

Some of the comments to that article are terrifying.

Phil

--
http://www.kantaka.co.uk/ .oOo. public...
Forum: UK June 30th 09, 05:29 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling,sci.chem

Marvin wrote:
Keep in mind that tires are made up of more than rubber.
There is quite a lot of carbon black there to protect the
rubber from oxidation. Perhaps the...
Forum: UK June 29th 09, 09:58 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 58
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Tyre Pressure.

Simon Brooke wrote:
Interesting. That confirms what I have been told about inflating tyres
with CO2. But if, as someone claimed upthread (and seems intuitively
Forum: UK June 10th 09, 10:53 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 74
Posted By Phil Armstrong
How to avoid being crushed by an HGV

Mike Clark wrote:
Yes but did you also notice that they didn't mention the use of helmets!

Regardless of one's opinion on the efficacy of helmets, it's difficult
to argue that...
Forum: UK May 24th 09, 05:47 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 130
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Boris Johnson's 'Near Death' experience caught on fillum.

Judith M Smith wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 07:21:56 -0700 (PDT), spindrift
wrote:
Check out the...
Forum: UK May 15th 09, 10:19 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Boris keeps the important traffic flowing

Ian Smith wrote:
So, what does your rule 197 say?

Mine says:
"Pelican crossings which go straight across the road are one crossing,
even when there is a central...
Forum: UK May 14th 09, 10:46 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Boris keeps the important traffic flowing

Judith Smith wrote:
So you are saying that at that crossing if someone is crossing the
right hand side of the crossing ie they have not reached the central
island and...
Forum: UK May 14th 09, 06:04 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Boris keeps the important traffic flowing

Judith Smith wrote:
That'll be the bit where it says :

"Miguel waited until he saw a green man, crossed to the island in the
middle of the road,"

and as you...
Forum: UK May 14th 09, 10:41 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 44
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Boris keeps the important traffic flowing

Dave Larrington wrote:
In ,
Judith Smith tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

Sounds...
Forum: UK May 5th 09, 11:22 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 22
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Advice on Buying a Tag-a-long

wrote:

After looking at alternatives I think I’m going to plump for a tag-a-
long for my 5 year old daughter. I want it for cycling around the
park / along the...
Forum: UK April 9th 09, 03:43 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 328
Posted By Phil Armstrong
More bad news in London

spindrift wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1168705/Cyclist-crushed-lorry-horrific-road-death.html

A woman cyclist was killed yesterday after she was...
Forum: UK April 1st 09, 12:02 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 224
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Road rage incident this morning - advice?

Simon Brooke wrote:
On 1 Apr, 10:49, "POHB" wrote:
"Simon Brooke" wrote

Unfortunately my photograph was
not good enough to...
Forum: UK April 1st 09, 10:54 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 224
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Road rage incident this morning - advice?

Simon Brooke wrote:
pk, you're right that stopping was dangerous. But going past him was
also dangerous, and I felt that stopping was on the whole safer. After
all,...
Forum: UK March 31st 09, 07:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 224
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Road rage incident this morning - advice?

JNugent wrote:
mileburner wrote:

I have seriously considered carrying a baseball bat for protection from
these morons when they decide to set upon the silly...
Forum: UK March 6th 09, 03:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 59
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Shared cycle path - auditorially distracted pedestro-kretins stepping into the path of cycles

Light of Aria wrote:

I am increasingly concerned / distressed / irritated by fools with
headphones on who meander along shared use cycle paths, whom upon
Forum: UK February 6th 09, 06:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 168
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Tory MP in 4x4 fined for 'momentary lapse of concentration'

maria wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 00:20:12 -0000, "OG"
wrote:

snip

Do you take a claim like 'helmets prevent 85% of...
Forum: UK December 14th 08, 09:48 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 270
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Cycling and your child leaflet - update?

Peter Fox wrote:
Absolutely. There's no need to quote any accident figures at
all. *Any* mention of accidents will simply concentrate people's minds
on the...
Forum: UK December 14th 08, 01:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 270
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Cycling and your child leaflet - update?

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:34:13 +0000, Tom Crispin
Veena, at TfL's Centre of Cycling Excellence, advised me not even to
mention the word...
Forum: UK December 12th 08, 07:32 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 342
Posted By Phil Armstrong
OMG H*****ts again

burtthebike wrote:

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
pk wrote:
"Peter Clinch"...
Forum: UK November 28th 08, 09:54 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 35
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Getting a grip on the family lighting

David Damerell wrote:
Quoting bob :
As a Xmas present to the family I am considering getting 4 identical
sets of...
Forum: UK October 14th 08, 09:41 PM Posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 346
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Why is it OK to ram cyclists but not other drivers?

Phil Armstrong wrote:
Thanks for the link. I wonder why they decided to drop the
charge?

Ah, as Steve Firth says, they didn't: they eliminated the
sentance. "In this...
Forum: UK October 14th 08, 07:29 PM Posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 346
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Why is it OK to ram cyclists but not other drivers?

Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:
Phil Armstrong considered Tue, 14 Oct 2008
11:26:07 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Phil W Lee...
Forum: UK October 14th 08, 11:26 AM Posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 346
Posted By Phil Armstrong
Why is it OK to ram cyclists but not other drivers?

Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:
(Steve Firth) considered Mon, 13 Oct 2008
17:15:12 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Phil W Lee...
Forum: UK October 13th 08, 05:59 PM Posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling

Steve Firth wrote:
Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:
Care to quote the precise law which is being broken?

RTA 1988 s3. And before you blart, yes it...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 74