Showing results 1 to 25 of 251
Search took 0.18 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Stevie D
Forum: UK March 31st 07, 04:52 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 48
Posted By Stevie D
Losing the will to live

Danny Colyer wrote:

Strictly speaking that ought to be "louse picking". "Nit picking" would
be removal of the eggs.

I'm with Tony on "losing the will to live" right now!

--
\\\\\ ...
Forum: UK March 31st 07, 12:16 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling

Matt B wrote:

No. Most authorities are reluctant to accept the reality, and cling
to some outdated ideology. In Northmoor, before the new scheme was
implemented, the TRL found that mean...
Forum: UK March 31st 07, 12:13 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 39
Posted By Stevie D
OT - Remove humps, cars go faster, crash

Jim Higson wrote:

Before that, I don't like speed humps much either. Cars always slow
right down for them, and on a bike you have to either stop and loose
momentum to avoid hitting the car...
Forum: UK March 31st 07, 12:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 39
Posted By Stevie D
OT - Remove humps, cars go faster, crash

Dave Larrington wrote:

And try hitting one with a single wheel of a trike at 40+ mph[1]. Ensure
your life insurance is fully paid-up before you try.

1 - it was just after dawn, ipssnig...
Forum: UK March 28th 07, 11:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 72
Posted By Stevie D
Kids riding on pavement - local news story

Tom Crispin wrote:

For young children the pavement can be a safer place than certain
roads. While most cycle training providers will not consider on-road
training for children younger than...
Forum: UK March 28th 07, 08:06 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 72
Posted By Stevie D
Kids riding on pavement - local news story

archierob wrote:

I don't think she is a stupid woman. My son is grown now but I told
him to cycle on the pavement. I think in the end you make the decision
that although you know that...
Forum: UK March 28th 07, 12:09 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 72
Posted By Stevie D
Kids riding on pavement - local news story

From the York Press:

::: Police told our kids to stop riding on the ‘safe’ pavement and go on
::: to the busy road instead
:::
::: A mother has blasted police after they told her two young...
Forum: UK March 28th 07, 12:04 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 25
Posted By Stevie D
Dangerous driving

naked_draughtsman wrote:

Does that imply that anyone cutting a corner is driving dangerously
(in a legal sense, not in the common sense) or do you have to hit
someone before it's...
Forum: UK March 27th 07, 11:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 144
Posted By Stevie D
What do you think are the main reasons for people not cycling.

Sir Jeremy wrote:

Which is my point- if it isn't enjoyable why do it?

Because it's good for you!

The vast majority of people are not getting enough regular exercise.
Cycling as a means of...
Forum: UK March 25th 07, 09:03 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 144
Posted By Stevie D
What do you think are the main reasons for people not cycling.

raisethe wrote:

Or you could cycle along the busy roads, holding a good position well
away from the kerb, and passing motor vehicles to their right when
they go too slow. Busy fast moving...
Forum: UK March 25th 07, 08:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 144
Posted By Stevie D
What do you think are the main reasons for people not cycling.

Sir Jeremy wrote:

7) They live too far from local cycle paths. Its no fun cycling in
busy traffic

Which is a rubbish excuse. You don't need cycle paths, you just need
quieter roads. With a...
Forum: UK March 25th 07, 06:55 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 144
Posted By Stevie D
What do you think are the main reasons for people not cycling.

Mike the unimaginative wrote:

I'm unconvinced by the arguments for showers.
I suspect that calls for, and installing showers, sends out a message
(maybe subliminal) that you *will* get hot...
Forum: UK March 25th 07, 12:50 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 144
Posted By Stevie D
What do you think are the main reasons for people not cycling.

thedudeinthehat wrote:

After a certain age still being on a bus must be a sign
of..................???????????

....a free bus pass.

--
\\\\\ ...
Forum: UK March 25th 07, 12:49 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 144
Posted By Stevie D
What do you think are the main reasons for people not cycling.

killermike wrote:

The first point that seems to raised whenever I get into such a discussion
is "punctures".

Funny, that's _never_ been mentioned when I've discussed it with
people!

Forum: UK March 25th 07, 12:48 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 144
Posted By Stevie D
What do you think are the main reasons for people not cycling.

Ziggy wrote:

1) They think it's dangerous.

Agreed.

2) They don't like hills and headwinds.

Agreed.
Forum: UK March 24th 07, 01:14 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 24
Posted By Stevie D
Ping: Danny Colyer

Tony Raven wrote:

In court Brady admitted he was going fast, admitted that he saw them
and that her husband had already reached the far side of the road when
he hit her and that he thought...
Forum: UK March 24th 07, 01:06 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 45
Posted By Stevie D
bike bridge, and seasonal variations in cycling

Erik Sandblom wrote:

This is chicken and egg. Cycling on the streets is not pleasant,
because the behaviour of motorists is bloody awful.

There are books that can teach you to deal with...
Forum: UK March 17th 07, 10:04 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By Stevie D
Don't chase after cars.

John B wrote:

Forgetting one's age is the sure sign of getting old :-(

counts fingers

Have you still got them all? Can you remember how many you should
have?

--
Forum: UK March 17th 07, 09:41 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 58

Al C-F wrote:

My car is equipped with lights, which are quite bright. When I am
driving towards a cyclist, these lights illuminate the reflectors on the
bike (including those amber ones on...
Forum: UK March 17th 07, 07:14 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 58
Posted By Stevie D
Flashing lights , a good thing?

Peter Clinch wrote:

You mean the ones that go through a set of batteries in half the time
and thus considerably enhance your chances of having /no light at all/
quite by accident?

LED...
Forum: UK March 17th 07, 07:12 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 58
Posted By Stevie D
Flashing lights , a good thing?

Simon Brooke wrote:

Roger Burton West wrote:

I don't have an explanation for it but it's certainly my experience;
many times when I've been driving, I've seen a bicycle light, thought
Forum: UK March 17th 07, 06:51 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 17
Posted By Stevie D
Not quite a pothole but dangerous

John Clayton wrote:

A country lane in South Devon, in my car, we drive throuh the first "puddle"
OK.
However the second one is so very deep it stops our car, draws water into
the engine...
Forum: UK March 11th 07, 05:24 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 175
Posted By Stevie D
Clarkson admits that speed kills.

Jon wrote:

Nonsense. He was well within the limit. A 30mph limit means 'do not
exceed 30mph', not 'drive at 30mph'. A driver driving at any speed
below 31mph on such a road is heeding such a...
Forum: UK March 11th 07, 05:12 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 175
Posted By Stevie D
Clarkson admits that speed kills.

spindrift wrote:

I would suggest that had he hit and killed that same child whilst
doing say 30 Mph, it would be reasonable to argue that this death was
directly attributable to his failure...
Forum: UK March 10th 07, 06:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 69
Posted By Stevie D
Bikes at the supermarket

Ekul Namsob wrote:

In ten years of driving to the supermarket (barring the one year when I
lived near enough across the road, so walked there), I've never had any
damage to my car in a...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 251