Search: Posts made by: Joy Beeson
Forum: Techniques Today, 05:16 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 153
Posted By Joy Beeson
Sad helmet incident

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 10:39:04 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Imagine what the results of a law stating that
possession of a drug is punished by a mandatory $5,000 fine...
Forum: Techniques January 17th 20, 05:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 56
Posted By Joy Beeson
Hitting your head

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:04:11 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Helmets do offer protection because that's what they are designed to do.

Helmets are designed to protect...
Forum: General January 15th 20, 05:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1,061
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Road Rash

Tuesday, 14 January, 2020

but the distal edge still foams up when
peroxide hits it,

That should have been "proximal"; it was the far edge of the wound
when I was looking at it with my elbow...
Forum: General January 13th 20, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1,061
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Road Rash

On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 19:38:15 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I haven't had road rash since long before

Not a wise thing to say. I strode over black ice on the bridge on...
Forum: General January 12th 20, 01:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1,061
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Road Rash

My plastic surgeon (now retired) was very big on putting Vitamin-E oil
on a healing wound as soon as the stitches came out.

He left beautiful scars. Every time he took a cancer off, I'd say to
my...
Forum: General January 10th 20, 04:56 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
First ride of the year.

Instead of sewing a snap on my new wallet, I went to Zale's Hometown
Pharmacy today. About two miles out and two miles back -- hardly
worth suiting up for.

It's absurd that on the ninth of January,...
Forum: General January 5th 20, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Joy Beeson
Cyclecraft: being seen

I can't fault the section on Being Seen that runs from page 36 to page
39 of _Cyclecraft: North American Edition_.

It begins with a very useful distinction between conspicuity and
perspicuity, and...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 20, 06:56 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Joy Beeson
Predictions

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 10:18:28 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

They're the bike equivalent of a woman's
stiletto heeled shoes.

There's your answer. It's received wisdom...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 20, 06:53 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Joy Beeson
Predictions

On Fri, 03 Jan 2020 19:14:54 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

Up here beyond civilization, where we actually pay to have
salt spread all over hell, it's obscene to sacrifice a
Forum: Techniques January 5th 20, 05:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Joy Beeson
Shimano Hollowtech lateral play

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 20:06:00 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Did the Australian aborigines have a
tradition of conducting controlled burns? Did that practice end and
Forum: General January 4th 20, 05:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 3
Posted By Joy Beeson
Left foot?

I went to a lot of trouble -- or rather, I commissioned my spouse to
go to trouble (I don't do Amazon) -- to obtain a copy of _Cyclecraft:
North American Edition_, yet it's been months and I'm still...
Forum: General December 31st 19, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
Bottles in the drainer

Monday, 30 December 2010

When I washed dishes this afternoon, I finally remembered to include
the two water bottles that have been sitting on the counter ever since
I took my bike in for an...
Forum: General December 24th 19, 05:51 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
Michigan

The Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund (MNRTF) board
recommended $300,000 in development funds to be allocated
to Ottawa County Parks & Recreation for development and
construction...
Forum: General December 17th 19, 04:49 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 19
Posted By Joy Beeson
Fall is falling

The season marches on. Yesterday I wore my alpaca shawl for the first
time.

But that's partly because we were going to dinner and a play after
church, and I didn't want to wear a long dress.

Today...
Forum: General December 14th 19, 04:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 19
Posted By Joy Beeson
Fall is falling

A sign that fall, while still here is almost over:

As I was pulling out of my driveway on Wednesday, I'm pretty sure that
I saw a leaf-sucker with a snowplow blade on it turn into Columbia.

--
joy...
Forum: Techniques December 13th 19, 05:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 13:56:07 +0700, John B.
wrote:

http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/BLOG1XVI/PATIEN6h.JPG

Errr... That isn't a photo of anything that my wife...
Forum: Techniques December 13th 19, 05:16 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 205
Posted By Joy Beeson
Bike adjustments

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 06:50:44 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Didn't I hear you exclaiming the merits of your slide rule?

While cleaning his room, my spouse found a stash of...
Forum: Techniques December 12th 19, 05:23 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 205
Posted By Joy Beeson
Bike adjustments

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 19:49:22 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

(I'm not expert with a sewing
machine.) I'd like to recruit Joy to do a better job with its fabric.

You'd...
Forum: General December 12th 19, 04:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
The Trails are Open

I had a check-up this morning, and didn't fancy having to take off six
layers to show the doctor my toenail, so I drove.

I took the opportunity to go to Martin's and Aldi to stock up on heavy
stuff,...
Forum: Techniques December 11th 19, 05:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 56
Posted By Joy Beeson
We're from the government. We're here to help you.

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 16:51:51 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Far too much traffic planning these days is to move the automobiles and never mind the bicyclists or...
Forum: General December 10th 19, 01:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
Ventilation

The first few cotton-jersey jerseys I made had
extremely-unsatisfactory vents. I didn't want a zipper next to my
skin, so I used snaps, and it was impossible to make the placket neat.

Eventually, I...
Forum: General December 10th 19, 01:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
Transcribing my notes

I always write my notes very clearly and distinctly, save for an
occasional "I'll remember where I've been" squiggle, but when I go to
transcribe them indoors, I find them nearly unreadable.

Today I...
Forum: General December 9th 19, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
McElroy Hill

Monday 9 September 2019 -- waiting for the washing machine.

On Saturday, I spent from 11:56 to 12:00 walking up McElroy Hill. A
few weeks ago, when I first thought of timing my walk, it took...
Forum: General December 5th 19, 03:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Joy Beeson
Mitten dryers

One week I'd been doing a lot of riding and found three pairs of socks
in the wash, and I had only two mitten dryers.

Well, they are easy to make, and I have a vast surplus of dress
hangers.

A...
Forum: General November 30th 19, 05:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
Route-marking basics

http://roadpainter.com/good-bicycle-route-marking/

quote

This may seem simple enough but it’s an important detail that very
often gets neglected. I go on about this subject for a while...