Search: Posts made by: Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Forum: Techniques July 21st 18, 01:30 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Dual valve floor pump only pushes air out the Schrader valve hole

Andre Jute writes:

Buy stuff. Solution #1 in the bicycle world.

Oh, I agree with you; I have nothing but contempt
for bicycle fashion victims. That's why I mention
Forum: Techniques July 20th 18, 09:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Dual valve floor pump only pushes air out the Schrader valve hole

Andre Jute writes:

I've got a cool little Wrench Force floor pump that
will accept Schrader or Presta. I've used it for
over a year exclusively to inflate my Presta...
Forum: Techniques July 20th 18, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
dork communters

AMuzi writes:

Simple but true answer is,"That's what sells".
In your neighborhood in Sweden anyway.

DBS is Norwegian... But other than that, yeah.

So why people pay...
Forum: Techniques July 20th 18, 02:42 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
dork communters

I must say I really dislike these "dork" commuters
that I see from Monark, DBS, etc. They are the new
iteration of the standard bike, and are solid bikes,
but

- old bikes had steel frames, these are...
Forum: Techniques July 20th 18, 12:55 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
upside-down U-shaped aluminium/aluminum down and top tube

The other day I saw something new, a Monark bike, an
aluminium frame only the tubes were oval. I thought,
as this was an expensive black commuter bike with
a Shimano hub dynamo light and all that,...
Forum: Techniques July 19th 18, 12:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Marginal gains

John B. Slocomb writes:

As Comrade Liebermann said on this forum, you
don't ride a bike, you wear it. And if the shoes
are attached to the bike, they could be...
Forum: Techniques July 19th 18, 11:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Marginal gains

As Comrade Liebermann said on this forum, you don't
ride a bike, you wear it. And if the shoes are
attached to the bike, they could be considered part
of it, right?

Perhaps we should login...
Forum: Techniques July 19th 18, 11:00 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Marginal gains

Ha ha ha :) And what colors are they?!

Sorry, that was unpleasant. I actually agree that
colors are important. As Comrade Liebermann said on
this forum, you don't ride a bike, you wear it. And...
Forum: Techniques July 19th 18, 10:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Marginal gains

jbeattie writes:

I still prefer black ones but I had to have two
different colors because they differ half a size;
one for thick socks for early season and one for
Forum: Techniques July 18th 18, 08:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Electic bikes from China

The EU will impose duties (27.5-83.6%) on
electric bikes from China, starting Thursday.

https://www.svt.se/svttext/tv/pages/133.html

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

The load is the chainguard and chainguard
bracket stay whose weights I can report back
later tonight, God willing.

A typical chainguard including the bracket stay
weighs in at 160g.

--...
Forum: Techniques July 17th 18, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 136
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
drill/tap in frames

Frank Krygowski wrote:

We were discussing thread engagement.
How thick are these attachment points?

Two occasions of 2/16 inches, and one 1/16 plus
change, for M5s, with no extruded part.

The...
Forum: Techniques July 17th 18, 06:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
29er "pedals easier"

Frank Krygowski wrote:

But there are a LOT of 630 (or 27") garage
queens around here. Some are quite nice
bikes. They're left over from the 1970s
and 80s.

I have one from the early-mid 80s,...
Forum: Techniques July 17th 18, 09:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 136
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
drill/tap in frames

The front and rear stays, which I suppose are
welded to the frame, and painted in the same
color - these are 2 inches wide.

The bottom stay, which is a long bracket with
the form of the...
Forum: Techniques July 17th 18, 09:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 136
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
drill/tap in frames

The front and rear stays, which I suppose are
welded to the frame, and painted in the same
color - these are 2 inches wide.

The bottom stay, which is a long bracket with
the form of the...
Forum: Techniques July 17th 18, 09:07 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 136
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
drill/tap in frames

Today I measured the three contact points of
a typical chainguard for standard steel bikes,
with a caliper. All of the contact points are
threaded holes with no nut on the other side.

The front and...
Forum: Techniques July 17th 18, 08:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
loosen nut before torque wrench torque?

How hard can a nut be seated by non-torque
factors? Like really, really hard? Is it good
practice to loosen the nut prior to using the
torque wrench in order to always first thing
cancel out such...
Forum: Techniques July 17th 18, 08:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
29er "pedals easier"

Frank Krygowski wrote:

How big is a "29er"?

I think bikes in general should have bigger
wheels. Why not drop the 622 standard (700C)
and go back to 630? Only it can/should be
wider...
Forum: Techniques July 16th 18, 07:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
29er "pedals easier"

Doug Cimperman wrote:

29" is 622mm, the same as a 700c. 29" is just
made to mount fat tires.

The difference between 584mm/650b and 27.5"
is that the 27.5 frames are made to mount
wider...
Forum: Techniques July 16th 18, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
29er "pedals easier"

Frank Krygowski wrote:

No, bigger wheels do not necessarily mean
more ground clearance. That's a function of
frame design.

Bigger wheels are much better. Try a 630 bike
after your 622 and...
Forum: Techniques July 16th 18, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
29er "pedals easier"

sms wrote:

My MTB is still the same 26" rim brake
wheels that its had since new in 2000. If it
can't roll over the bumps and rocks and ruts
and slop I want to roll over, then its the
Forum: Techniques July 15th 18, 09:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Vietnam war: reinforced bikes to carry artillery?

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I doubt anyone posting here is really
car-free.

100% if you get an exception for public busses
once in a while.

--
underground experts united
Forum: Techniques July 15th 18, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Vietnam war: reinforced bikes to carry artillery?

AMuzi wrote:

like this:
https://blog.e-bikerig.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/military-bicycles-in-vietnam-war.jpg

Sweet!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Forum: Techniques July 14th 18, 10:29 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Vietnam war: reinforced bikes to carry artillery?

Recently I've read a couple of book about the
Vietnam war(s) and more than once I've read
that the Vietnamese for transport during their
anti-colonial and independence struggle used
"reinforced...
Forum: Techniques July 14th 18, 12:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 136
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
drill/tap in frames

James wrote:

Regardless, the wall thickness of the main
tubes will not be sufficient to drill and tap
sufficient threaded area to hold a bolt.

I can only tell what I see with my own eyes.
And...