Search: Posts made by: Ned Mantei[_2_]
Forum: Techniques November 20th 18, 11:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
chain rust

On 19-11-18 21:55, AMuzi wrote:

I just throw the chain out after salt season, haven't found any better
answer.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/AMKEST08.JPG

Thanks to you and...
Forum: Techniques November 19th 18, 09:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
chain rust

I have an old bike fitted with "spike" winter tires. This is in action
only when there is ice and/or snow on the streets, so where I live about
2 to max. 8 weeks per year. Not much, but the salt...
Forum: Techniques November 2nd 18, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
disc brake grabs at one place

My newer mountain bike uses Shimano Ice-Tech discs (SM-RT81) and JO4C
"metal" brake pads, with DT-Swiss through-axle wheels and XT brakes. In
June I installed a new front disc and brake pads, and...
Forum: Techniques October 31st 18, 02:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Bicycle Accident

On 30-10-18 15:33, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I looked at a number of other images in that photo stream you posted links to. I found it interesting that the signs were in time = how long it'd take to get...
Forum: Techniques October 30th 18, 11:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Bicycle Accident

On 30-10-18 07:58, James wrote:
On 30/10/18 11:39 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

When my wife, daughter and I did our coast-to-coast ride, we were on a
gravel road in North Dakota when a...
Forum: Techniques October 25th 18, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
how long does water stay OK in a plastic bottle?

On 25-10-18 16:23, Joerg wrote:
Near the mountains there are lots of high-altitude summer
pastures ("Alp" in Swiss German) with a fountain fed by a spring. I
often refill water bottles from...
Forum: Techniques October 25th 18, 03:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 23-10-18 20:50, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 12:59:52 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
How long does water stay OK in a plastic
bottle? Here [1] it says 2-3...
Forum: Techniques October 18th 18, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Replacing a used front rim

On 18-10-18 10:54, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 4:29:11 AM UTC-4, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Thank you all for the advice, I will carefully check the effective rim
Forum: Techniques October 18th 18, 07:39 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Replacing a used front rim

On 17-10-18 22:01, jbeattie wrote:
And assuming available ERDs are correct. You can get three or four different ERDs for some old rims, like Mavic MA2s -- from different sources, none directly...
Forum: Techniques October 17th 18, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Replacing a used front rim

On 17-10-18 16:36, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

A couple of months ago, I noticed my rear rim was worn out, with some
scratches I attributed to braking with sand or gravel on the pads....
Forum: Techniques October 8th 18, 02:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Min. TH = 1.5

On 05-10-18 14:22, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I found "Min. TH = 1.5" on the disc brake
rotor. Does this mean I should replace it when
it gets below that, i.e. below 1.5mm?

Replacing in time might be...
Forum: Techniques September 8th 18, 08:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 203
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Bus racks

On 07-09-18 21:43, Joerg wrote:
There are lots of people in this world who are taller than 6ft and need
large frame sizes.

For an example, at this link click on the picture of Jobst Brandt on...
Forum: Techniques September 3rd 18, 08:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 96
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Who is a real cyclist ?

On 03-09-18 17:54, Frank Krygowski wrote:
And he, more than anyone else in North America, was responsible for
showing that the normal rules of traffic do work for cyclists. That's
really the...
Forum: Techniques August 30th 18, 12:38 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 59
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Combining Ultegra Cassettes 11-34 + 14-28 - 14-34

On 29-08-18 18:51, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Hah! With my even MANlier 52-47 rings, I don't shift the rear at all! :-)

Not nearly as MANly, but this reminded me of "half-step plus granny": My
1987...
Forum: Techniques August 28th 18, 09:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 203
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Bus racks

On 27-08-18 22:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Reading the thread about bus racks being to short for some bicycles got me to thinking about how the bicycle is supported in the rack. When I worked in...
Forum: Techniques August 25th 18, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 76
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Bus bike rack too short, how to strap in a bike quickly?

On 24-08-18 16:35, Joerg wrote:
Couldn't believe it. Those great agency folks obviously didn't test the
bike racks for our local buses before signing the contract. Long story
short my 29er...
Forum: Techniques August 12th 18, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 165
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Flat repair

On 11-08-18 16:48, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I've got a large spray can of brake cleaner, and another of carburetor
cleaner. Since I'll never use them up working on the car, I'd be willing
to...
Forum: Techniques June 18th 18, 06:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 86
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Helmet News

On 18-06-18 04:11, Frank Krygowski wrote:
In reality, brain injury while bicycling is very rare. It's more common
while traveling as a pedestrian. And helmets have not caused any
significant...
Forum: Techniques February 27th 18, 10:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 66
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
The lone 26er in a forest full of 29ers and 27.5ers

On 26-02-18 21:34, Joerg wrote:
My experience is the opposite. Horses leave their poop all over but that
ain't so bad.

I agree. Horse droppings dry quickly, leaving only something like hay...
Forum: Techniques February 25th 18, 11:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
v-brakes

On 25-02-18 00:07, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Here are a couple of pics to facilitate the
discussion:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/brake/

I've heard that

1) the long...
Forum: Techniques February 18th 18, 06:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
muck on chainring/sprocket on 1SP/internal gear hub bikes

On 18-02-18 01:26, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Almost always there is a pattern of dirt, like
the "negative" of the chain, on the
chainring/sprocket. This is often very loose,
a wood stick and then...
Forum: Techniques January 28th 18, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
bike shedding most boring trend

On 28-01-18 06:35, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And I agree with the concept. As I've mentioned before, we were staying
with (new) friends in Zurich, and they took us on a walking tour of the
Forum: Techniques January 1st 18, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
postcard

On 01-01-18 16:06, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/1/2018 1:11 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
avagadro wrote:

Forum: Techniques November 27th 17, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 81
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Bike Share graveyard

On 2017-11-25 06:57, wrote:

Forum: Techniques November 26th 17, 02:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 81
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Bike Share graveyard