Forum: Techniques December 5th 17, 11:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By [email protected]
Chain Reaction closes Los Altos store.

You're f****** nuts....All these places beat the **** out of Cameron Park.

Jay, you really don't know what you're talking about. As one who has lived in both places, I am here to attest to the fact...
Forum: Techniques November 24th 17, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Spoking wheels

FWIW, a few years ago I was breaking rear spokes on the freewheel side, and the guys on here told me to check my spoke tension more carefully when I built the wheel (I had not been checking it...
Forum: Techniques November 22nd 17, 08:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Spoking wheels

So John B., what method are you using to equalize the tension on all the spokes?
Forum: Techniques November 19th 17, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions of Gates Carbon Drive system?

Both the Pope automobile and the Pope bicycle were made and priced as rich men's toys, before cars and bikes became commodities. The Pope was a quality vehicle and was supposedly a lot more...
Forum: Techniques November 16th 17, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions of Gates Carbon Drive system?

Sounds like the Gates Drive is a solution to a problem yet to be invented!
Andre Jute
"Because we could." isn't a reason, it's an excuse

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, Andre. So why are...
Forum: Techniques November 14th 17, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions of Gates Carbon Drive system?

I searched dutifully, but couldn't find a thread on this. (I believe Andre might have a bike with Carbon Drive; not sure.) Has this been discussed here?

I would be very interested to hear how the...
Forum: Techniques October 9th 17, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 108
Posted By [email protected]
Bicycling & health benefits of?

Are you guys old enough to remember Paul Dudley White, M.D., the eminent cardiologist and father of preventive cardiology through exercise? Really cool guy who served as Eisenhower's and LBJ's...
Forum: Techniques September 8th 17, 04:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By [email protected]
Sandwich recipe, please

Hey guys, would you do me a big favor and tell me your favorite sandwich that can be made conveniently, cut into quarters and stuffed into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

It's gotta be...
Forum: Techniques August 19th 17, 03:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By [email protected]
Powder Coating

I know I'm repeating myself, but nobody else can mask your frame for painting as well as you can do it yourself, because you can take the time. I sure do like masking it myself and painting it with...
Forum: Techniques July 18th 17, 08:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By [email protected]
bike swerve

When I was younger and rode tandems with women, an argument always seemed to ensue, probably engendered by trying to merge two different riding styles.
Forum: Techniques July 9th 17, 05:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 117
Posted By [email protected]
Olmo

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 10:35:56 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
They could invest in some paint for their building ...

Joerg, I believe that's the "BĂ©ton brut" style of exterior architecture. In other...
Forum: Techniques July 5th 17, 08:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 117
Posted By [email protected]
Olmo

Olmo factory in Celle Ligure, Italy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek0uuvy5jb7zdjk/olmo1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hbg81pe1vvr3mv/olmo2.jpg?dl=0
Forum: Techniques June 19th 17, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By [email protected]
The Biggest Troll on RBT

Translation:
Another day has passed with no techincal enquiries on RBT.
Andrew Muzi

But Andrew, every time I pose a techincal enquiry, nobody responds. Take for example the time I asked for help...
Forum: Techniques June 19th 17, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By [email protected]
Square-taper cranks won't come off. Tricks?

"I tried something similar before with a big puller and it stripped its thread."

That shouldn't happen with a good quality hub puller. In fact, you can remove tapered splined hubs on axles where...
Forum: Techniques May 22nd 17, 09:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By [email protected]
Square-taper cranks won't come off. Tricks?

Joerg, I would try a big, thick washer that will go over the crank arm and behind the crank (between the crank and the bottom bracket spindle), and then pull behind the washer with a big-assed hub...
Forum: Techniques May 22nd 17, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 62
Posted By [email protected]
editorial opinion, steel frames

I've owned my Paramount since 1988, and it's dialed in to the Nth degree. I did it not by changing components or adjusting anything, but instead by having my body conform to the bike over the last 28...
Forum: Techniques May 19th 17, 10:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 176
Posted By [email protected]
Are CF frames really safe?

I tend to agree with you.

It really makes me wonder how the CF bike manufacturers handle their product liability claims. Do they actually buy insurance, or are they self-insured and simply fold the...
Forum: Techniques May 19th 17, 08:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 176
Posted By [email protected]
Are CF frames really safe?

With the price of a complete CF bicycle now approaching $1,000, one is tempted to buy one; however, I keep hearing stories about forks collapsing unexpectedly and without apparent reason.

Political...
Forum: Techniques May 11th 17, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 60
Posted By [email protected]
Toward self-built wheelset

Yeah, you don't want what happened to King John of England in 1216 to happen to...
Forum: Techniques May 9th 17, 06:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Curious what brands of bicycles the Olmo factory is making these days

Gene, the family with whom I was staying in Celle told me that it had something to do with the Italian bicycle manufacturing industry being nationalized, so the federal government told the factories...
Forum: Techniques May 9th 17, 05:26 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Curious what brands of bicycles the Olmo factory is making these days

When I visited the Olmo factory in Celle Ligure, Italy in 1978, they were making various brands of bikes besides Olmo. Here are a couple of pictures of the large...
Forum: Techniques May 8th 17, 03:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By [email protected]
This supplement in your water bottle will really help you enjoy your ride.....

......that is, if it doesn't make you fall off your bike.

Fill your water bottle with a 1-pint jar of "Cannabis Quencher" fruit drink. Be sure to get the bottle that has 200 mg. of THC.

You won't...
Forum: Techniques May 6th 17, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 62
Posted By [email protected]
All's not fair in love and science

"Ursa Major commemorates Bob Hite of course." - Andrew Muzi

Andrew, would you please stop damaging my self-image? You make me feel totally unworthy, knowing that I will never even APPROACH your...
Forum: Techniques May 6th 17, 03:37 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By [email protected]
painting small steel frame damages

That's pretty funny - we have an entire string of having to touch up scratches on bicycle paint and you ask "how hard a paint do you really need on a bike".

Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread,...