Search: Posts made by: Joy Beeson
Forum: General December 10th 17, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 771
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Spinning, slogging, grinding and hills

When we tell people that it isn't a good idea to wreck your knees and
exhaust yourself by slogging up hills, they seem to think that we're
saying "spin furiously and get all out of breath".

The idea...
Forum: General December 3rd 17, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 771
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Salutatory fear

Back in the eighties, I took a Youth Hostel tour of southern England.
After we'd been there a couple of weeks, I skillfully executed a
perfect left turn -- and found myself on the opposite side of...
Forum: Techniques November 30th 17, 04:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Joy Beeson
FLU

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 08:01:55 +0700, John B.
wrote:

The radio programs advertising animal feed is obviously not germane
when discussing your living accommodations.

Not to...
Forum: General November 29th 17, 05:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
SR 15

I rode on Detroit Street today -- just far enough to get to the other
side of US 30. Oddly, the swirling traffic where the two barrier
roads intersect is less hair-raising than the rest of SR 15. ...
Forum: Techniques November 29th 17, 04:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 81
Posted By Joy Beeson
Bike Share graveyard

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:15:22 -0600, Tim McNamara
wrote:

whereas prior programs failed
miserably- including programs where there was no cost to the user at
all.

Any...
Forum: General November 26th 17, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 771
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Socks

It took at least five minutes to put on my shoes this morning, but
I've remembered how to put on multiple socks:

When most of the second sock is gathered up on your instep, pause...
Forum: General November 26th 17, 12:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By Joy Beeson
Changing Seasons

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 14:29:06 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

We know you do a lot of stitching. I rarely do any, but I'm proud to say
I've made two of my own handlebar...
Forum: General November 24th 17, 03:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 771
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: running stop signs.

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 10:22:01 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Does a bicycle have the right to ignore traffic laws in the U.S.?

On a more serious note: In the U.S. we are obsessed...
Forum: General November 21st 17, 02:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 771
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Cold weather

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:12:13 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 18:46:07 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

When layering for cold...
Forum: Techniques November 19th 17, 03:37 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 67
Posted By Joy Beeson
Discs

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:22:34 +0700, John B.
wrote:

But more to the point $10 for a tee shirt? That is (last time I
checked the exchange rate) 330 baht for a tee shirt? ...
Forum: General November 18th 17, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 771
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Cold weather

When layering for cold weather, try to use not-underwear all the way
to the skin.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 18:12:45 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Have you tried using a handlebar bag? They work very well for me. In
cold weather, I stock it with a few...
Forum: Techniques November 15th 17, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Joy Beeson
World's Fastest Bike Light, Oculus

Not divided into paragraphs. Did not read.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

You should, now and again, push a gear that is taller than you can
handle -- if you never push your limits, your limits will shrink.

But never do it hard enough or long enough to leave you sore. ...
Forum: General November 11th 17, 04:52 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By Joy Beeson
Changing Seasons

It's one of God's little jokes that when you have to wear mittens, you
have to get your handkerchief out of your pocket every few minutes.

I had to stop several times because I couldn't find my...
Forum: General November 8th 17, 10:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Joy Beeson
Nancy Classics

After buying brake blocks, I read the funnies

http://www.gocomics.com/nancy-classics/2017/11/06

and found the current Nancy Classics apropos.

[back from the table of dictionaries: Well I'l be...
Forum: General November 8th 17, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

Does a bicycle have the right to ignore traffic laws in the U.S.?

No, but bicycles are invisible.

--
Joy Beeson
joy...

In the U.S., non-riders regard cyclists as superhuman jerks. The
character "Jef the Cyclist" in the comic strip "Pearls before Swine"
has been toned down from the public perception.

There is...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 17, 04:58 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 112
Posted By Joy Beeson
NY bike path mayhem

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 11:39:36 -0600, Tim McNamara
wrote:

You can release a wrongfully convicted person from
prison and make some restitution to them, but you cannot...
Forum: General November 6th 17, 12:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 771
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Oops

I missed deadline because I was distracted by "get jet lag without
going anywhere" day.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern...
Forum: Techniques November 2nd 17, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 98
Posted By Joy Beeson
Lithium Ion vs NiMh battery

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 11:04:54 +0700, John B.
wrote:

A friend at work had one of those H.P. calculators and I found the
reverse polish notation to almost impossible to work...
Forum: Techniques November 2nd 17, 03:09 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 393
Posted By Joy Beeson
Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On Thu, 02 Nov 2017 08:54:44 +0700, John B.
wrote:

With my truck it just as easy. Foot on the brake thus limiting engine
RPM, other foot on the throttle, press and you...
Forum: Techniques November 1st 17, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 112
Posted By Joy Beeson
NY bike path mayhem

Oddly, I first read about this incident in the London Telegraph --
rather high on the page.

Exactly what the murderer thought he was doing isn't particularly
important.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at...
Replies: 393
Posted By Joy Beeson
Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 08:08:25 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

And if you DO try you have cars behind you honking their horns.

I'm pretty sure that the last time someone honked at me, I was...
Forum: General October 29th 17, 02:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 771
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Changing seasons

Last week it was still hot. On today's eight-mile ride, I wore two
pairs of tights under sweat pants, fuzzy gloves, a thick linen-cotton
scarf, two silk undershirts, one heavy-cotton jersey, and...