Showing results 1 to 25 of 60
Search took 0.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: rruff
Forum: Techniques September 21st 09, 04:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By rruff
Deburring eyelet less spoke holes

On Sep 20, 12:59*am, someone wrote:
I fear the skill of building up lightweight metal rimmed wheels has
much diappeared. *Such a shame that so many will turn away from
Forum: Techniques September 20th 09, 05:45 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By rruff
Deburring eyelet less spoke holes

On Sep 19, 11:55*am, jay wrote:
Jobst
I, like you prefer dbl. eyeleted rims. But if not double at least
single. However, I also like offset (asymmetrical) rims for rear
Forum: Techniques September 20th 09, 05:41 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By rruff
Deburring eyelet less spoke holes

On Sep 19, 2:06*am, jay wrote:
1, Do wheel builders who regularly use eyelet less rims bother to
remove the burrs? * * * * * * * * *2. If so, how is it done quickly &
Forum: Techniques September 10th 09, 07:37 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By rruff
Oh, inflation is only running around 2 percent...MY ASS!!!!

On Sep 10, 8:58*am, slide wrote:
No, I'm not triumphant in having been right. I am depressed. I would so
much rather have been wrong about Obama.

I think you are...
Forum: Techniques August 29th 09, 03:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By rruff
(lack of) chain wear

On Aug 28, 10:59*am, someone wrote:
On 28 Aug, 16:21, rruff wrote:
The worst case is not small gear spinners, but riders who mash up
steep...
Forum: Techniques August 29th 09, 03:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 28 Aug, 16:21, rruff wrote:
The worst case is not small gear spinners, but riders who mash up
steep...
Forum: Techniques August 28th 09, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By rruff
(lack of) chain wear

On Aug 27, 11:01*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

We had been trying to figure out why some people were
doing a number on rear wheel spokes while others with the same...
Forum: Techniques August 6th 09, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By rruff
Physics (kind of) question

On Aug 6, 9:30*am, Ben C wrote:
Using a similar one, if you do a metric century at 20mph, that's about
205W (which is good going). But to do it at 25mph, you'd need about
Forum: Techniques August 5th 09, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By rruff
I still don't get it.

On Aug 4, 5:31*pm, Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT
wrote:
Nearly as aero isn't equally as aero.

Probably more aero if they have tiny oval spokes.
Forum: Techniques August 4th 09, 05:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By rruff
Compact Crank

On Aug 3, 7:09*pm, Mark Cleary wrote:
I would like to know if any of the group uses a compact crank 50/34 and
wonder how they like the gears. The more I get use to the one...
Forum: Techniques August 4th 09, 04:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By rruff
I still don't get it.

On Aug 4, 9:21*am, landotter wrote:
That was the climax of the whole piece. LMAO.

Somebody told me that this was the guy VN hired to fill the "tech
editor" spot they had open...
Forum: Techniques July 24th 09, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 122
Posted By rruff
gears for those on the tour de france

On Jul 23, 7:34*pm, someone wrote:
So it is very useful, very occasionally, in one specific circumstance
because the team wont fit big rings. *It is not used for 1/10th of...
Forum: Techniques July 24th 09, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 122
Posted By rruff
gears for those on the tour de france

On Jul 23, 3:15*pm, someone wrote:
They do use compact chainsets, that is the likely time the 11 sprocket
is used. *It is not useful in normal circumstances with big...
Forum: Racing July 3rd 09, 05:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 22
Posted By rruff
OT but great

On Jul 2, 4:45*pm, --D-y wrote:
Object, in general, being "dying of old age surrounded by loved ones",

I think you must have misread the description when you signed on...
Forum: Racing July 2nd 09, 11:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 22
Posted By rruff
OT but great

On Jul 1, 5:36*pm, --D-y wrote:
Or we could say that instead of hush-hushing the reality of life ("the
monsters among us"), that contemporary parents are more aware than
Forum: Racing July 1st 09, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 22
Posted By rruff
OT but great

Great article. I grew up near a small town in downstate IL myself.
Instead of kids running around on their bikes, we now have parents
shuttling them around to supervised activities in 6000 lb SUVs. I...
Forum: Techniques June 30th 09, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 45
Posted By rruff
Dupont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant

On Jun 30, 9:11*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
It doesn't take a lot of oil in the mix to make paraffin squeak
proof. *I mixed my batch many years ago and didn't actually...
Forum: Techniques June 30th 09, 05:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 45
Posted By rruff
Dupont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant

On Jun 30, 5:35*am, someone wrote:
I think the answer is, that a little oil has a dramatic effect. *The
oil is the lubricant and the wax delays its loss. *Pure wax has...
Forum: Techniques June 30th 09, 05:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By rruff
Dang! Helmets Again

On Jun 29, 8:25*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
I wish the Skid Lid™ was still made, as it would provide "bump and
scrape" protection while lessening the potential...
Forum: Techniques June 30th 09, 05:31 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 45
Posted By rruff
Dupont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant

On Jun 29, 5:07*pm, " wrote:
If these things are a problem, waxing is a good compromise. If they
are are not a problem, add as much oil as you feel that...
Forum: Techniques June 29th 09, 07:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 45
Posted By rruff
Dupont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant

A little oil seems to improve the wet weather performance of the
Dupont stuff quite a bit. I rode for ~3hrs today. The first 10 minutes
and the last two hours were in the rain. After the chain dried...
Forum: Techniques June 28th 09, 06:41 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 45
Posted By rruff
Dupont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant

On Jun 27, 7:52*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
I think there is
far too much agonizing over lubricant, particularly by those people
who live in warm, dry and clean...
Forum: Techniques June 28th 09, 06:35 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 45
Posted By rruff
Dupont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant

On Jun 27, 8:09*pm, wrote:
No squeaking, but then rain is mostly a rumor around here.

No "monsoons" up your way?
Forum: Techniques June 28th 09, 06:34 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 45
Posted By rruff
Dupont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant

On Jun 27, 7:04*pm, someone wrote:
How about using an engine oil additive like Molyslip - Molybdenum
disulphide and graphite, I think. *It's wet (ish), but when it...
Forum: Techniques June 22nd 09, 10:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By rruff
Chain and shaft drive efficiency

On Jun 22, 12:17*pm, wrote:
It's hard to make normal chains much smaller in pitch for bicycle use.
The smallest that I've heard of being used is the well-known 10 mm
that...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 60