Showing results 1 to 25 of 74
Search took 0.33 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Johan Bornman
Forum: Techniques October 23rd 09, 05:37 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By Johan Bornman
Spoke wrench size

On Oct 22, 5:05*pm, thirty-six wrote:
On 22 Oct, 13:47, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

0.130" to 0.127" *Less than a fag paper difference. *This...
Forum: Techniques June 3rd 09, 05:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By Johan Bornman
Q: Wellgo SPD pedel clones

On Jun 2, 2:09*pm, somebody wrote:
How good are the current Wellgo SPD pedals? *I tried a set about 10
years ago and had problems with SH-55 cleats releasing.

My old...
Forum: Techniques May 14th 09, 02:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 188
Posted By Johan Bornman
How can I blacken stainless steel spokes?

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Carl - enamelling is not an option, but nice try. I love your links.

Peter suggested I just buy black spokes. Easier said than done. I'm
not in the US or UK but...
Forum: Techniques May 12th 09, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 188
Posted By Johan Bornman
How can I blacken stainless steel spokes?

Nowadays with all the spoke options I am hard-pressed to keep, or
indeed, find stock of all the permutations. How do they blacken spokes
and can this be done in a workshop as and when needed?
Forum: Techniques January 22nd 09, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 84
Posted By Johan Bornman
With all this talk about cfrp....

D'ohBoy wrote:
Cut cut cut cut

They use hidden nipples in order to reduce the size of the holes
drilled thru the rims. Other mfrs are molding in the spoke holes but
I think the smaller...
Forum: Techniques November 18th 08, 07:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Johan Bornman
Wheel Momentum Problem and Survival Story

First the survival story

Last week I survived the umpteenth attempt by truck drivers to kill me
by releasing a truck wheel and aiming it at me in my car.

Driving along, I noticed a very large wheel...
Forum: Techniques October 20th 08, 03:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Johan Bornman
Emergency single-speed forcing chain to larger sprocket

After suffering a broken jockey, an emergency single-speed was
created
by bypassing the jockey and running the chain from a MTB's centre
front chainring to the centre (9-speed) rear sprocket. In...
Forum: General October 20th 08, 07:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Johan Bornman
Emergency single-speed forcing chain to larger sprocket

After suffering a broken jockey, an emergency single-speed was created
by bypassing the jockey and running the chain from a MTB's centre
front chainring to the centre (9-speed) rear sprocket. In...
Forum: Techniques September 4th 08, 08:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By Johan Bornman
Spokes Break At Nipples: Typical Location?

On Sep 1, 6:17*am, wrote:
Cut cut cut cut

Spokes entering nipples at 90° and the like don't make things more
clear. *Spokes should enter spoke nipples at zero...
Forum: Techniques February 20th 08, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Johan Bornman
Spokes: Cutting And Threading?

dabac wrote:
How 'bout simply going up one cross? Might fit...
Or if it doesn't straight off you can tinker with changing cross and
nipple length and maybe find a decent combo there? It's much...
Forum: Techniques December 15th 07, 05:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Johan Bornman
Disparate spoke lengh problem on American Classic wheel.

daveornee wrote:
I dealt with an early version of the hub I think you are describing.
It had 66.2 mm spoke hole pattern. I used spokecalc to arrive at the
spoke lengths and used those values....
Forum: Techniques December 14th 07, 01:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Johan Bornman
Shoe vs foot width

wrote:
Hi All,
Cut cut cut cut

Shoes of varying widths are often made using the same sole, but with
more upper material to create a greater volume. In discussions...
Forum: Techniques December 14th 07, 01:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Johan Bornman
Disparate spoke lengh problem on American Classic wheel.

I've come up against a puzzling problem on an American Classic Sprint
250 wheel.

I was asked to respoke the wheel. On receiving it, I noticed someone
else had already tried to solve whatever the...
Forum: Techniques November 13th 07, 05:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Johan Bornman
Options for tubeless MTB rims

On Nov 12, 5:35 pm, Scott Gordo wrote:
On Nov 12, 10:10 am, Johan Bornman wrote:

Also, FWIW, most riders I know use Stans in conjunction even...
Forum: Techniques November 12th 07, 03:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Johan Bornman
Options for tubeless MTB rims

A customer has asked me to build him a set of tubeless MTB wheels. He
does not want to do a tubeless convesion through the likes of Stan's
NoTubes. He wants to use a UST tubeless tyre on a proper...
Forum: Techniques November 2nd 07, 05:18 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Johan Bornman
1995 Campag Hub bearing size?

A Muzi wrote:
Johan Bornman wrote:
I have what I believe is a +- 1995 Campagnolo rear 8-speed hub that I
can save and use if I can find the right balls for it.

With nine 1/4 inch...
Forum: Techniques November 1st 07, 07:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Johan Bornman
1995 Campag Hub bearing size?

I have what I believe is a +- 1995 Campagnolo rear 8-speed hub that I
can save and use if I can find the right balls for it.

With nine 1/4 inch balls fitted on each side, the cones and jamb...
Forum: Techniques October 13th 07, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Johan Bornman
Calculating the spoke approach angle.

wrote:

Snip snip snip

so you can compensate for that if you want to
be picky. However, this formula isn't exact.
Because f is often small compared to r and l,
Forum: Techniques October 11th 07, 10:07 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Johan Bornman
Calculating the spoke approach angle.

On Oct 11, 6:07 am, wrote:
Johan Bornman writes:
You didn't say what the hole circle diameter of the hub is or the rim
size. With that info, more could be...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 07, 10:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Johan Bornman
Calculating the spoke approach angle.

On Oct 11, 12:41 am, Ron Ruff wrote:

That is the appropriate solution. The load required to straighten out
the bend is very close to the tensile yield of spoke, so it...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 07, 10:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Johan Bornman
Calculating the spoke approach angle.

On Oct 10, 9:45 pm, A Muzi wrote:

Are you using excessively high or low cross pattern?
Some wheelbuilding software lists the spoke angle with the length for
each cross...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 07, 09:59 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 11, 6:07 am, wrote:
You didn't say what the hole circle diameter of the hub is or the rim
size. With that info, more could be said. From the 90° comment...
Forum: Techniques October 10th 07, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Johan Bornman
Calculating the spoke approach angle.

Maybe the mathematicians here can help me calculate what I call the
spoke approach angle or, the angle at which the spoke enters the rim.

I've had a problem with a wheel where the angle was way past...
Forum: Techniques October 2nd 07, 07:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Johan Bornman
Alex 320 rim ERD please

Victor Kan wrote:
This doesn't give the ERD, but if the rim is the one on the Alex/A-
Class 320 wheel, the spoke lengths for their particular build are here
(so if you can just find their hub...
Forum: Techniques October 2nd 07, 07:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Johan Bornman
Alex 320 rim ERD please

landotter wrote:

Where did you get the rims? I'd love to know a source for more Alex
rims other than the 3-4 common models.

The local A-Class wheel importer in South Africa brings the rims in...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 74