Replies: 21
Posted By James[_8_]
How critical is road bike tire pressure max?

On 19/04/18 07:42, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/18/2018 5:01 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-04-18 13:15, Duane wrote:

Yeah, I'm mostly used to hearing people ask how low they can go and
Forum: Techniques Yesterday, 11:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By James[_8_]
today's ride

On 19/04/18 05:32, Joerg wrote:

BTW, the rash thing also happened with the hydration pack belts
especially where they touched skin. Sleeving cut-open cotton tube socks
over them made that...
Forum: Techniques April 17th 18, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By James[_8_]
today's ride

On 18/04/18 00:58, Joerg wrote:

Have you tried cotton? I tried some cycling clothes early on in my 20's
which made me sweat profusely and the skin itch, even gave me rashes. A
cotton...
Forum: Techniques April 17th 18, 06:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By James[_8_]
today's ride

On 16/04/18 21:10, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
On 14/04/18 22:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

Forum: Techniques April 16th 18, 05:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By James[_8_]
today's ride

On 16/04/18 08:51, jbeattie wrote:

Road tires generally cut through new hail and snow unless it really
accumulates fast. I've never had problems with rim brakes riding in
hail. I just...
Forum: Techniques April 16th 18, 05:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By James[_8_]
today's ride

On 14/04/18 22:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/looks-like-snow-baraboo-streets-covered-in-hail/729197821

Nope. Clear blue...
Forum: Techniques April 10th 18, 09:26 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By James[_8_]
Statistics skewed by ER directive?

An anecdote I was told the other day is very troubling.

A cyclist crashed & was taken to hospital. A nurse made notes. The
cyclist asked why the box was ticked that he'd been wearing a helmet.
The...
Forum: Techniques April 4th 18, 10:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By James[_8_]
High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On 04/04/18 13:16, jbeattie wrote:

Here's an anecdote -- I just about got whacked by some dumb f*** on a
bike tonight with no light and ninja black outfit. I couldn't see
him against the...
Forum: Techniques April 3rd 18, 10:49 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 87
Posted By James[_8_]
High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On 01/04/18 06:15, AMuzi wrote:

Regarding safety, I read last week that crocodile egg gatherers in
Australia (going rate AU$35 per viable croc egg) trudge through wetlands
& swamps...
Forum: Techniques April 3rd 18, 05:08 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By James[_8_]
Tires

On 01/04/18 10:43, John B. wrote:

On a bike with 700C tires I am currently running 23mm tires. Some of
the roads in Bangkok are pretty rough and my front fork could take a
25mm tire, but...
Forum: Techniques March 29th 18, 06:30 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By James[_8_]
Wood news

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/stronger-than-steel-able-to-stop-a-speeding-bullet-mdash-it-rsquo-s-super-wood/

--
JS
Forum: Techniques March 29th 18, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 28/03/18 01:39, Joerg wrote:

Hydraulics also can suffer from sudden fade and that's scary. Then they
require bleeding which, depending on the kind, is a messy business. On
mine...
Forum: Techniques March 27th 18, 03:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-03-26 15:11, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/26/2018 5:42 PM, Joerg wrote:

Quote "But the idea that hub-disc brakes are an advancement or even
Forum: Techniques March 20th 18, 05:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By James[_8_]
How long should pedals last?

On 20/03/18 14:34, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 5:33:17 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 20/03/18 07:43, Joerg wrote:

I get around 5000mi out of pedals and it doesn't seem to...
Forum: Techniques March 20th 18, 12:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By James[_8_]
How long should pedals last?

On 20/03/18 07:43, Joerg wrote:

I get around 5000mi out of pedals and it doesn't seem to matter much
what their price was. Then the bearings are gone. Similar with bottom
brackets. I have...
Forum: Techniques February 27th 18, 08:42 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 66
Posted By James[_8_]
The lone 26er in a forest full of 29ers and 27.5ers

On 27/02/18 18:15, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 23:21:34 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/26/2018 8:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I haven't seen a CO2...
Forum: Techniques February 9th 18, 12:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By James[_8_]
How to kill and be found not guilty

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/elderly-mandurah-man-found-not-guilty-over-death-of-cyclist-20180208-h0vsqi.html

--
JS
Forum: Techniques February 2nd 18, 01:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 02/02/18 12:07, John B. wrote:

If you are worried about your bike's rear strut why not just reinforce
it. You have explained how clever it is to use a hose clamp to prevent
a nut from...
Forum: Techniques January 31st 18, 12:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By James[_8_]
average lifespan of a rear derailleur

On 31/01/18 11:38, patrick wrote:
I'm wondering if the fact that I wet lube the pivots might be
beckoning the grit into the joints- accelerating the demise of the
pivot pins. Perhaps I should...
Forum: Techniques January 30th 18, 11:47 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By James[_8_]
average lifespan of a rear derailleur

On 31/01/18 08:17, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/30/2018 3:10 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:56:37 AM UTC-5, patrick wrote:
I bought a used but never assembled¬*...
Forum: Techniques January 18th 18, 03:18 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By James[_8_]
pull tight

On 18/01/18 08:22, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/17/2018 3:17 PM, Frank Miles wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 19:37:35 +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:

If one pulls a wheel axle nut too tight, to...
Forum: Techniques January 15th 18, 02:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 78
Posted By James[_8_]
handlebar

On 15/01/18 10:42, Frank Krygowski wrote:

From the dreamy adspeak: Stainless steel's ride can be "crisper" and
"snappier."

Is that better than "rigid, yet compliant"?

Polished...
Forum: Techniques January 10th 18, 05:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By James[_8_]
wheel sizes on trailers

On 08/01/18 09:31, Emanuel Berg wrote:

However having neither chainring or sprocket,
what impact does the bicycle trailer wheel size
has, and how does that work? Impact not on the
bike but...
Forum: Techniques January 8th 18, 12:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By James[_8_]
Joerg Antidote

On 07/01/18 07:42, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sorry, Joerg, I needed a subject and "Ride Report" seemed too grandiose.

First ride of the new year: -5F and breezy, but at least the sun was
shining....
Forum: Techniques December 22nd 17, 02:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By James[_8_]
Standards; always room for one more!

On 22/12/17 12:12, AMuzi wrote: