Posted By Lou Holtman
Pics of Campa 11 speed

Morten Reippuert Knudsen wrote:
On 2008-06-21 16:23:24 +0200, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

We had reached the practical limit at 9 speeds. Of what use is more
than that...
Forum: Techniques May 5th 08, 09:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Lou Holtman
Beads

Derk wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:

Why use donuts in the first place?
I keep my bike in the house and take it downstairs when I go riding.
To do this, I hold the top tube and thanks to the...
Forum: Techniques May 5th 08, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Lou Holtman
Beads

Derk wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:

Softer donuts are in your package along with the truing stand.
Thank you, Peter. I didn't remember if I asked you to send me...
Forum: Techniques May 4th 08, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Lou Holtman
coffee holder

still just me wrote:
On Thu, 1 May 2008 22:40:21 -0700 (PDT), datakoll
wrote:

use the gatorade bottle wrapped in foam. hose clamp the cage after
spreading linseed...
Forum: Techniques May 1st 08, 09:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Lou Holtman
how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag

wrote:
how to protect spare tubes in the tool bag

..

i have an under-seat bag
it;s fairly rigid
i keep a spare tube in there

several times when i need a spare...
Forum: Techniques April 26th 08, 06:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Lou Holtman
Do Shimano SPD road pedal clips fit on Mtn Bike shoes?

wrote:
I'm thinking of buying Shimano Ultegra PD-6620 SPD-SL Road Pedals...
I’m wondering if the cleats will fit my shoes. My shoes are diadora
Mtn bike shoes (because...
Forum: Techniques April 24th 08, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Lou Holtman
Shimano chain life

Neal wrote:

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message
Neal wrote:
My latest bike has a Shimano Ultegra 10speed drive...
Forum: Techniques April 24th 08, 06:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Lou Holtman
Shimano chain life

Neal wrote:
My latest bike has a Shimano Ultegra 10speed drive train. I only have
1200 miles on it and already the chain is measuring close to the
replacement point. I'm used to Campagnolo...
Forum: Techniques April 23rd 08, 10:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 55
Posted By Lou Holtman
Touring bikes: Index or friction shifting?

wrote:
On Apr 23, 1:40 pm, still just me wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:50:21 +0200, Lou Holtman

Forum: Techniques April 23rd 08, 05:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 55
Posted By Lou Holtman
Touring bikes: Index or friction shifting?

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
On Apr 18, 3:14 pm, Rex Kerr wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I can understand wanting to use shifters with a friction...
Forum: Techniques April 21st 08, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Lou Holtman
KMC chain question

wrote:
On Apr 20, 6:31 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Kenneth wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:31:02 -0400, Nate Nagel
Forum: Techniques April 20th 08, 05:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Lou Holtman
ceramic bearings

Dave Mayer wrote:
"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

That is the second stupiest way to maintain a hub. The first is not to
Forum: Techniques April 19th 08, 12:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 32
Posted By Lou Holtman
What to do to 'maintain' my Bicycle?

wrote:
On Apr 18, 7:27 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
You didn't oil your chain for 15 years and now you make such a big
deal of it?

well, like I said in my...
Forum: Techniques April 18th 08, 11:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 32
Posted By Lou Holtman
What to do to 'maintain' my Bicycle?

wrote:
Went to the bike store this week to buy some lube/oil.
The guy kept taking out bottles that were way too big.
I told him "I had my bike for over 15 years without...
Forum: Techniques April 17th 08, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 55
Posted By Lou Holtman
Touring bikes: Index or friction shifting?

wrote:
On Apr 17, 12:54 am, still just me wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:33:36 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie

Forum: Techniques April 14th 08, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Lou Holtman
Edge 305 & Calories

steve wrote:
Edge 305 & Calories

My new Garmin Edge 305 calculates the calories I have supposedly used
during a ride. Knowing the calories and time I should be able to
estimate my wattage...
Forum: Techniques April 13th 08, 09:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Lou Holtman
Carbon steerer star nut torque

Phil Holman wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 13, 1:18 am, Gig Miller...
Forum: Techniques April 13th 08, 12:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 133
Posted By Lou Holtman
HEART RATE

On 2008-04-13, wrote:
[...]
there is a point there I might as well re-iterate; and that is you can
go without food, use up your glycogen...
Forum: Techniques April 12th 08, 09:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Lou Holtman
DA7700 Shifter stripped screw advise needed

RS wrote:
I went to change the shifter cables on my DA7700 equiped bike and the little
screw holding the cover over the shift cable end wouldn't come off. I managed
to mangle it further. ...
Forum: Techniques April 12th 08, 08:42 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Lou Holtman
ceramic bearings

Camilo wrote:
On Apr 9, 9:04 pm, Rick Roof wrote:
Just installed ceramic bearings in my front wheel. The original
bearings seem much smoother. Is this just because the...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 08, 10:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Lou Holtman
Chain skipping under load(for no obvious reason)

John Henderson wrote:
wrote:

John Henderson wrote:

Sheldon's site has that listed as doable. Without sending
off to a metallurgy lab I'm as...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 08, 08:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By Lou Holtman
SM+ question: 700x35c -or- 700x38c for Chicago year round commuting?

Jay wrote:
On Apr 2, 12:49 pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 2, 6:51 pm, Jay wrote:

On Apr 1, 1:56 pm,...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 08, 06:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Lou Holtman
R 'Glacier Gloves' D Bes' Cold Rain Gloves for Brooklyn?!

Jay wrote:
On Apr 2, 11:16 am, "
wrote:
On Apr 2, 3:34 pm, Jay wrote:

Just wondering...
Forum: Techniques March 31st 08, 07:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Lou Holtman
Thoughts on my new Electra - a Joy to Ride!

Jay wrote:
On Mar 28, 6:31 pm, "Jay" wrote:
Thanks (all) for your thoughtful comments regarding my recent bike troubles.
I expect to have my SM+ tires in a couple days. I...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500