Showing results 1 to 25 of 352
Search took 0.89 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Papa Tom
Forum: UK August 10th 09, 12:59 PM Posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 11
Posted By Papa Tom
If I were the president, I'd give $200 toward purchasing a bike

I think it's a better idea to give each person who agrees to open a US-based
bike manufacturing plant $200,000 on the condition that they build quality,
affordable bikes and participate in a...
Forum: UK August 5th 09, 07:12 PM Posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 61
Posted By Papa Tom
Do you enjoy the ride on the road, or just survive it?

As an experienced cyclist who has ridden the same neighborhood for roughly
forty years, I feel totally at home on the road, although I am always,
ALWAYS aware that anything can go wrong at any...
Forum: Techniques August 3rd 09, 07:47 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Papa Tom
New helmet technology

No, just a rubbish helmet ...

I REFUSE to wear one.

(See alternate definitions of "refuse" to understand why this is mildly
amusing)
Forum: Techniques July 28th 09, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Papa Tom
Clicking Bottom Bracket

Wow. I guess my local bike guy is not as honest or as knowledgeable as I
thought. Each time I've brought in a bike with a clicking bottom bracket,
he immediately sold me a new one! It's good to...
Forum: Techniques July 28th 09, 03:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Papa Tom
Kenyan Bike Phone Charger

I made an effort last year to closely monitor my household electricity
use and make changes to lower it. It's a much greener activity than
worrying about how my AA batteries are...
Forum: Techniques July 27th 09, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Papa Tom
Clicking Bottom Bracket

Anyone have a similar experience with a Ti BB?

I always thought a click from ANY bb meant it was history.
Forum: Techniques July 27th 09, 08:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Papa Tom
Kenyan Bike Phone Charger

How about not ignoring the earlier bit of my post : a dynamo is the
answer to those.

Yah, I forgot about that. I had a Dynamo for a short while and tried to get
it to work with a...
Forum: Techniques July 27th 09, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Papa Tom
Kenyan Bike Phone Charger

Also, what do you mean "burn through batteries like crazy"

I'm talking about the three "AAA" batteries I need to make that little dinky
red light blink under my saddle, the two "C" batteries...
Forum: Techniques July 27th 09, 05:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Papa Tom
Kenyan Bike Phone Charger

Thanks, Ben C. It's always refreshing when somebody can put together a
response without starting with an insult. As I mentioned in another post,
the meat and potatoes of my question is "why CAN'T...
Forum: Techniques July 27th 09, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Papa Tom
Kenyan Bike Phone Charger

The trouble with you, Barton, is that you JUST DON'T LISTEN.

Don't blame BARTON. The bad listener is ME...Papa Tom. Anyway, it's not
that I'm not listening. It's that, rather than...
Forum: Techniques July 27th 09, 01:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Papa Tom
Kenyan Bike Phone Charger

You want a free lunch. There is not a free lunch.

But I've got this little bicycle guy on my desk - about six inches high and
six inches wide - who starts to pedal furiously THE SECOND the...
Forum: Techniques July 25th 09, 01:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Papa Tom
Kenyan Bike Phone Charger

There is no free lunch when it comes to energy. If you don't think
about the energy usage of your devices, you just can't understand why
things are the way they are.

But what if...
Forum: Techniques July 24th 09, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Papa Tom
Kenyan Bike Phone Charger

At that nominal rating, it takes an hour to provide a raw 3 watt-hours of
energy

That's a little over my head for this time of day on a Friday, but if you
say so, I believe you!
Forum: Techniques July 24th 09, 12:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Papa Tom
Kenyan Bike Phone Charger

'Don't know why there aren't more of these devices and why they aren't more
effective. I've got an emergency radio that can play for an hour with a
one-minute turn of a small crank. How much more...
Forum: General July 23rd 09, 11:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Replies: 29
Posted By Papa Tom
Nashbar Compromised Credit Card Information, Check Your Credit Card Statements if You've Shopped at Nashbar in the past several years.

I mean, I dunno, I ain't no rocket scientist, but I'm just sayin...

I get your point, and I'm not even offended by the sarcasm.:) It's pretty
dumb of me to leave myself wide open just...
Forum: Techniques July 23rd 09, 11:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Replies: 5
Posted By Papa Tom
Nashbar Compromised Credit Card Information, Check Your Credit Card Statements if You've Shopped at Nashbar in the past several years.

I mean, I dunno, I ain't no rocket scientist, but I'm just sayin...

I get your point, and I'm not even offended by the sarcasm.:) It's pretty
dumb of me to leave myself wide open just...
Forum: General July 23rd 09, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Replies: 29
Posted By Papa Tom
Nashbar Compromised Credit Card Information, Check Your Credit Card Statements if You've Shopped at Nashbar in the past several years.

I just got my letter from Nashbar today. My User name and Password on their
site is pretty much the same one I use everywhere else. (I know, I
know...don't give me crap about it!). I wonder if...
Forum: Techniques July 23rd 09, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Replies: 5
Posted By Papa Tom
Nashbar Compromised Credit Card Information, Check Your Credit Card Statements if You've Shopped at Nashbar in the past several years.

I just got my letter from Nashbar today. My User name and Password on their
site is pretty much the same one I use everywhere else. (I know, I
know...don't give me crap about it!). I wonder if...
Forum: General July 20th 09, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Replies: 29
Posted By Papa Tom
Nashbar Compromised Credit Card Information, Check Your Credit Card Statements if You've Shopped at Nashbar in the past several years.

Now that I've read this thread, I suppose the fraudulent charges on my card
(which took a few weeks to clear up) stem from Nasbar, too. My charges were
for a government grant program, a book club,...
Forum: Techniques July 14th 09, 12:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Papa Tom
Question about AirFree tires availability.

I am NOT here to rile any of you up.

Trust me, Doctor Tom, the prostate problem was caused by cancer, NOT
AirFree Tires.

I thought you weren't here to rile anybody up. ...
Forum: Techniques July 13th 09, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Papa Tom
Question about AirFree tires availability.

Thanks for your reply, Tom but I use 700C and 27" tires and find them to
be very comfortable, even after having had my prostate removed.

Ummm, not to make light of your surgery, but...
Forum: Techniques July 13th 09, 08:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Papa Tom
Question about AirFree tires availability.

I've got a set of 26" solid rubber tires (brand new) that were on a
prototype bike given to me by Royce Union when I had my bicycle recycling
club. They're horribly uncomfortable to ride. Is this...
Forum: General July 8th 09, 08:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles,aus.bicycle
Replies: 9
Posted By Papa Tom
"The Chain That Binds,Cycling and Coffee's Unlikely Partnership"

It's all in the timing, though. Don't do this on the east end of
Rochester when heading west.

Well, if my full name didn't show up in each of these posts, I could tell
you some...
Forum: Techniques July 6th 09, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 268
Posted By Papa Tom
How many gears are enough?

I probably should have mentioned that I understand the gear ratios on a
three-speed will be different than the three gears I am using now. If I
were to switch to a three speed, can I find one...
Forum: General July 6th 09, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles,aus.bicycle
Replies: 9
Posted By Papa Tom
"The Chain That Binds,Cycling and Coffee's Unlikely Partnership"

I find the title of this really funny, as coffee certainly doesn't "bind"
me. Even decaf. If I'm going riding any time within the next couple of
days, you won't see me NEAR a cup of coffee...or a...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 352