Showing results 1 to 25 of 67
Search took 0.12 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Garry Lee
Forum: Techniques November 25th 13, 05:37 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Garry Lee
IN HONEST STATISTICS (NOT THE KRYGOWSKI KIND), IS CYCLING SAFE — OR DANGEROUS?

A couple of points on reading all the above.
The Australian accident statistics improvement must be in large part due to the cracking down on drink-driving in that country.
I hae me doots about the...
Forum: Techniques September 28th 11, 07:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Garry Lee
Any news on Jobst Brandt?

Is he well, recovering after his crash some months ago?
Forum: Techniques June 23rd 10, 06:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 12
Posted By Garry Lee
Sayeth the Sage of Bandon: Lightness and carbon forks

My father used to always say as we left Bandon in the car, having
driven through, Abandon Bandon! Dunno why. Maybe he thought it
infested with Jutes and Saxons!
Forum: Racing June 23rd 10, 06:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 2
Posted By Garry Lee
Sayeth the Sage of Bandon: Lightness and carbon forks

My father used to always say as we left Bandon in the car, having
driven through, Abandon Bandon! Dunno why. Maybe he thought it
infested with Jutes and Saxons!
Forum: Techniques June 2nd 10, 07:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Garry Lee
Maddening chainskipping with unusual cause. The wrong chain link.

I got a new bike some time ago, a carbon fibre racer. The chain had a
maddening tendency to skip, but I never actually saw it do it. It did
it on any sprocket, but more on the smaller ones...
Forum: UK October 14th 09, 09:03 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Garry Lee
another dead cyclist aged 34...one suspects too many drugs

If he died of pulmonary embolism, then that is suspicious of blood
doping or EPO or similar usage. Pulmonary embolism is very rare in
young fit people.
Forum: Techniques September 9th 09, 09:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Garry Lee
Pringled rim - is this beyond repair?

Jobst Brandt in his marvellous tome, "The Bicycle Wheel" ISBN
0-99607236-6-8, refers to this as soft wheel failure.
He says
"To repair such a bent or collapsed wheel first loosen all nipples
about...
Forum: Rides September 2nd 09, 05:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 7
Posted By Garry Lee
Touring on bike paths?

I've done it in Germany where there are numerous such paths, called
Radwegs. It is a bit slower because of the extra navigation involved.
Forum: UK August 17th 09, 08:32 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 62
Posted By Garry Lee
Compassion plea after cycle death

About 40 years ago there was a very effective Ad on Irish TV. In it,
Rosemary Smith who was a brilliant Irish Rally driver who won the
Monte Carlo rally said simple.

"If you can't see, stop the...
Forum: Techniques August 11th 09, 08:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Garry Lee
Downshifting problem; whose?

There's a trick to adjusting front derailleurs which I discovered
years ago. Maybe it's widely known, but I thought of it myself.
Overadjust the derailleur so that it throws the chain too far...
Forum: UK May 23rd 09, 07:47 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 39
Posted By Garry Lee
Cro-Mo Frames

Some truths.

Steel does rust but good steel tubing does not rust to a serious
level.
The "comfort" level spoken of by some cycling journalists with regard
to certain types of tubing is just rubbish....
Forum: Techniques February 9th 09, 08:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Garry Lee
I hear it's cold and snowy elsewhere

A bit of a coincidence.
I got a Bennett's fracture, a tiny one, on Jan 2nd. Thumb caught in
something on simple fall from bike. Getting your thumb wrenched back
causes this painful fracture.
Took 10...
Forum: Techniques December 15th 08, 07:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Garry Lee
Rain Gaiters?

On Dec 13, 11:44*am, Andy M-S wrote:
On Dec 10, 8:17*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Anybody know of something that can be put on without taking...
Forum: Rides October 22nd 08, 06:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 6
Posted By Garry Lee
handlebar bag .. ?? Recommend, and a question

Arkel not a good idea.

Not waterproof.

You need a waterproof bag.

I have an Agu (not waterproof) camera handlebar bag which I use for
cameras, an old large Ortlieb in a size which is no longer...
Forum: Techniques October 3rd 08, 07:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Garry Lee
Cateye Triple Shot battery charging problem.

This is my third winter using this lighting system for night training
on quiet roads.
I cannot cycle during the week at daytime due to the demands of my job
(I intend to retire within a year).

After...
Forum: Techniques September 27th 08, 09:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By Garry Lee
Gaping hole in tire

Glue canvas on the inside with puncture solution. As long as it's not
on the contact part of the tyre, this will nearly always last the life
of the tyre. If the cut is big, you can sew the cut first...
Forum: Rides August 4th 08, 08:35 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 3
Posted By Garry Lee
Bike Bags Shipping

Don't use bags.

I've been easily on 100 flights with my bikes and I've not had a bike
broken. A bike which looks like a bike is by and large treated better
than one in a bag or a box. In those cases...
Forum: Techniques July 4th 08, 07:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Garry Lee
Sticking Front Changer. How I solved it.

On Jul 2, 8:05*am, sergio wrote:
On 1 Lug, 23:21, Garry Lee wrote:

This may be helpful to someone who doesn't know this trick.
Front triple...
Forum: Techniques July 1st 08, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Garry Lee
Sticking Front Changer. How I solved it.

This may be helpful to someone who doesn't know this trick.

Front triple changer sticking. Had to kick into smallest ring.
Couldn't see what was causing it to stick. Not cable. Brushed with
diesel....
Forum: Techniques May 23rd 08, 07:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Garry Lee
is there a small backpack that fits onto bike rack

A friend of mine used one for touring for years. Was made byKarrimor.
Forum: Techniques May 12th 08, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 19
Posted By Garry Lee
Pain between shoulder blades

The only time I got that was when I was overstretched. Try a shorter
reach.
Forum: Techniques April 21st 08, 08:35 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By Garry Lee
Raceface external bearings.

Had a pair fail in first month on bike tour. French bike mechanic,
himself a racer, said they're very problematical. The chainsets are
fine, but he had 2 sets of bearings fail on himself before he...
Forum: Techniques April 1st 08, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 70
Posted By Garry Lee
Hard braking down hill blowouts

I've had about 3 such blowoffs. One in Gran Canaria, one on the
descent from Neuschwannstein Castle in Germany and one somewhere in
Ireland. Can't remember where.
Forum: Rides February 27th 08, 07:24 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 1
Posted By Garry Lee
new blog post on pedaling technique

I used to read all that kind of stuff years ago.

It's really nonsense. Just pedal. If you look at various cyclists
there's just a variety of styles. That's it.
Forum: Rides February 18th 08, 07:55 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Replies: 1
Posted By Garry Lee
Tommy Godwin

.... wasn't he just a little bit nuts????
Showing results 1 to 25 of 67