Showing results 1 to 23 of 23
Search took 1.07 seconds.
Forum: Techniques May 23rd 14, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By [email protected]
Is there a preservative for gum rubber brake hoods?

I put on an NOS pair of gum rubber brake hoods. Is there anything that would make an effective preservant (without making the hoods slimy or otherwise unpleasing to grip)?
Forum: Techniques April 29th 14, 12:24 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Can Shimano ROAD front derailleurs be used with MTB shifters?

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:56:06 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

No, the two have different cable travel.
On a double it's workable, on a triple not without much
trouble. Get a compatible...
Forum: Techniques April 26th 14, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
26" touring tire recommendation

On Monday, April 21, 2014 6:16:16 PM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
It's about time to replace the 26 x 38/32 WTB Slickasaurus tires on my
Surly LHT and I'm looking for recommendations. The bike is...
Forum: Techniques April 26th 14, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Compatibility of Tiagra derailleur with STX shifter?

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 5:37:01 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I assume your cables are new and well lubricated.

Cables are new. The derailleur snaps back when downshifted with a bang. I...
Forum: Techniques April 19th 14, 08:37 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Compatibility of Tiagra derailleur with STX shifter?

On Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:34:32 PM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:

I had a world of trouble with the Tiagra front STI shifter on my LHT (hard
to shift up and it would downshift from the outer...
Forum: Techniques April 19th 14, 08:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Compatibility of Tiagra derailleur with STX shifter?

My old mountain bike came with STX components in 1994. After a few years of nonuse due to mechanical issues, I'm fixing it up.

I got new "special edition" STX shifters to replace the worn ones, and...
Forum: Techniques March 27th 14, 01:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Toe clips for SP 153 "platform" pedals

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:50:33 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/26/2014 5:17 PM, Ed wrote:

I have a set of NOS SP 153 pedals. These are alloy pedals from the 1980s. The front isn't a cage,...
Forum: Techniques March 26th 14, 10:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Toe clips for SP 153 "platform" pedals

I have a set of NOS SP 153 pedals. These are alloy pedals from the 1980s. The front isn't a cage, it's a platform. The holes to attach toe clips are horizontal, and a bit further out from the axle...
Forum: Techniques February 14th 14, 03:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 97
Posted By [email protected]
New wheelset: should bearings still be adjusted?

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:59:44 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:53:43 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Yes, yes, I will adjust the...
Forum: Techniques February 12th 14, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 97
Posted By [email protected]
New wheelset: should bearings still be adjusted?

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:53:43 AM UTC-5, wrote:
The reason a tiny amount of play is taken out of hubs when quick release is tightened is that the QR slightly bows...
Forum: Techniques February 11th 14, 04:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 97
Posted By [email protected]
New wheelset: should bearings still be adjusted?

On Monday, February 10, 2014 12:24:05 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

We open new hubs to add fresh grease which may not be
absolutely necessary nowadays. Lubricate axle threads and
lock the...
Forum: Techniques February 10th 14, 04:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 97
Posted By [email protected]
New wheelset: should bearings still be adjusted?

Old advice is to adjust the bearings on a newly-purchased wheelset. I'm wondering if that's still true today.

I got a good deal on a nice new wheelset to replace my front wheel (bad hub) and rear...
Forum: Techniques August 16th 13, 09:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
Replacing wheelset--stick with freewheel or go with cassette?

On Friday, August 16, 2013 4:11:16 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

It's also pretty easy to build up a custom cassette with EXACTLY the cogs you want. I built a corncob one last year for fun...
Forum: Techniques August 16th 13, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
Replacing wheelset--stick with freewheel or go with cassette?

On Friday, August 16, 2013 11:55:54 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Thanks for the response....

Changing to a cassette wheel has real advantages in axle
durability and ease of future service but that...
Forum: Techniques August 16th 13, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
Replacing wheelset--stick with freewheel or go with cassette?

My old Steve Bauer is in need of a front wheel (hub is shot) and rear wheel (replacement rim likes to go out of true and spoke tension is inconsistent).

The bike is from 1987 and originally came...
Forum: Techniques August 9th 13, 09:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By [email protected]
What's the ultimate failure mode of cone-and-cup bearings?

Okay, I got home without any funny noises, and I rode in today as well.

The hub still gets perceptibly warm when I ride it. The rear hub does not, so obviously it's still grinding up inside. It...
Forum: Techniques August 9th 13, 09:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By [email protected]
What's the ultimate failure mode of cone-and-cup bearings?

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:25:59 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Too bad Backpeddling is so far from you. If anyone has exactly what you want it'd be them.

I may need to take a trip out there....
Forum: Techniques August 8th 13, 09:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By [email protected]
What's the ultimate failure mode of cone-and-cup bearings?

I went down today with some automotive wheel bearing grease. Pried up the dust shields on each side and really slathered it in. Wheel feels smoother. I'll try riding it home.

I suspect that I won't...
Forum: Techniques August 7th 13, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By [email protected]
What's the ultimate failure mode of cone-and-cup bearings?

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:50:08 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Yes shoot some lube in it, enough to ride home. Oil, grease,
cooking oil, whatever.
The noise is most certainly not a neoprene...
Forum: Techniques August 7th 13, 02:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By [email protected]
What's the ultimate failure mode of cone-and-cup bearings?

The hub on my front wheel was getting rough in the cup, and that was five thousand kilometres or so ago. At that time, I just packed in the grease and called it a day.

This morning, the bearing...
Forum: Techniques December 9th 07, 04:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By [email protected]
Looking for info on slow-speed bicycle handling

On Dec 7, 8:10 pm, Luke wrote:

0 KM/H. Ever a see a fella on a fixed gear pulling a trackstand? Or an
inexperienced cyclist, astride or not the bicycle, walking or...
Forum: Techniques December 7th 07, 09:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By [email protected]
Looking for info on slow-speed bicycle handling

On Dec 7, 6:14 am, "
wrote:
On Dec 7, 12:49 am, wrote:

Damn, I think Google Groups ate my first...
Forum: Techniques December 6th 07, 11:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By [email protected]
Looking for info on slow-speed bicycle handling

Damn, I think Google Groups ate my first post--trying again.

If a bicycle goes slowly, it is wobbly and difficult to handle,
especially for inexperienced or casual cyclists. The question is,...
Showing results 1 to 23 of 23