Showing results 1 to 25 of 182
Search took 0.15 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Marcus Coles
Forum: Techniques July 28th 13, 09:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 126
Posted By Marcus Coles
Overhanging trees on trails

On 07/28/2013 03:17 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I don't want to hijack the other thread.

One of the problems that can arise with trails is this little thing called wind. You ride along the trail...
Forum: Techniques July 27th 13, 04:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Marcus Coles
Is there anyway to determine if a carbon fiber fork is reallydamaged and should be replaced?

On 07/26/2013 08:45 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

He was riding down the hill doin' 60 miles an hour when his fork it suddenly failed. He was found in the wreck with his feet cliped to the pedals oh...
Forum: Techniques May 27th 13, 01:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 58
BS
Posted By Marcus Coles
BS

Real Usenet people read datakoll postings or not.

rec.bicycles.tech is not really a Google group, Google just includes it
in it's coverage of a subset of Usenet groups. So don't read too much...
Forum: Techniques March 7th 13, 05:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Marcus Coles
Chain stretch - actual tech.

On 21/02/13 02:35 AM, James wrote:
I just came across this;

http://www.cantitoeroad.com/docs/connex_by_wippermann/Chains_Stretch.pdf

I can't see whether the stretch was plastic or elastic. ...
Forum: Techniques December 31st 12, 07:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Marcus Coles
rolling resistance units.

On 12/19/12 08:35, datakoll wrote:
WHAT COULD BE THE AVERAGE DISTANCE BETWEEN FLATS FOR THE NUEVO COMP RIDER USING THE NUEVO COMP TYPE TIRE ?

say for 1000 riders the average distance twen flats...
Forum: Techniques June 3rd 12, 06:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Marcus Coles
Compact gearing not for everyone??

Try using the whole cassette on the 50 and dropping to the 34 only when
the going gets tough. Make sure you have enough chain for big-big on
chainring and cassette.

The late Sheldon Brown's gear...
Forum: Techniques October 19th 11, 02:24 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 38
Posted By Marcus Coles
Vintage Raleigh dating/model needed

On 18/10/11 05:55 PM, AMuzi wrote:

First off, it's not a Raleigh Record color. More, Sprite mudguards are
distinctive and unlike all other Raleigh models.

It is a Sprite IMO too.

Given...
Forum: Techniques July 21st 11, 06:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Marcus Coles
HARP SEAL CHAMOIS !

On 20/07/11 07:33 PM, kolldata wrote:

$145 FOR 2. CHAMOIS VILLE DIRTIBUTORS, SEATTLE WA

I assume at that price the seals are hand clubbed and white.
Forum: Techniques July 21st 11, 06:31 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 49
Posted By Marcus Coles
On Maintaining Shimano Dynamo Hubs

I don't think the patent should be/have been approved since the solution
is "obvious to one skilled in the art".

The trouble is that these days patent offices find the acquisition of
fees is the...
Forum: Techniques June 26th 11, 06:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
Posted By Marcus Coles
MORE OIL ! MORE MORE !

And MORE!

Wrecking the wilderness.

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/witness/2011/06/20116227153978324.html

Oil it's not just for chain lube anymore!
Forum: Techniques March 16th 11, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Marcus Coles
I can't find this item...

http://www.inmed.com.au/radiation-detection.html

Their Xtreme Dashmount has a handlebar mount option.
Forum: Techniques October 19th 10, 02:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By Marcus Coles
Butted tubing for rollcages

On 18/10/10 05:52 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Those of us who have rolled cars view this problem in a different light.

I'm a member of that group.

A good case can be made for a decent restraint system and a...
Forum: Techniques July 17th 10, 12:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Marcus Coles
Juju

On 15/07/10 10:34 PM, kolldata wrote:
be kind to Jute, he's only human.

Turing Test: Pass
Forum: Techniques May 31st 10, 03:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By Marcus Coles
Tire Rotation, was: 1st century done

Congratulations on your century.

I get about 2000 Miles out of a rear Vredestein Tricomp with no
swapping, I weigh about 200 lbs most of the time and ride on urban and
rural paved roads.

The best...
Forum: Techniques April 14th 10, 03:39 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Marcus Coles
Quill stem flex on front loaded bicycle.

Thanks to everybody who responded to this.

Happy cycling to all.

Marcus
Forum: Techniques April 14th 10, 01:31 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Marcus Coles
Quill stem flex on front loaded bicycle.

Jobst,

In this particular case rather than the split stem with the conical nut
it has the diagonal cut and the matching jam nut.

My theory is that when the handlebars are initially turned with the...
Forum: Techniques April 13th 10, 03:23 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Marcus Coles
Quill stem flex on front loaded bicycle.

Over on the iBOB list there has been some discussion of apparent initial
torsional steering flex and recovery in the quill type stem on a front
loaded (50lbs load) "porteur style" cargo bike that...
Forum: Techniques February 5th 10, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 47
Posted By Marcus Coles
Ugly bike paint?

Gaffer tape as a base, it is duct tape like and stays on, but is
strippable. Then paint that.

Stickers are always good, an "I visited Sacred Miracle Cave" bumper
sticker and the like, lengthwise...
Forum: Techniques December 8th 09, 11:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Marcus Coles
Hitler was a bike messenger

landotter wrote:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5B72Y820091208?type=technologyNews

"Ancestry.co.uk, which bills itself as Britain's leading family
history website, has begun the...
Forum: Techniques December 8th 09, 10:37 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Marcus Coles
Wheelbuilding: offsetting rim outside of hub width?

DougC wrote:
I am pondering building a tadpole trike.

Because it will use lean-steering, I'd like to be able to align the
kingpins of the front wheels on the plane of the tires. (I am aware...
Forum: Techniques November 30th 09, 05:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Marcus Coles
Shiftmate - Jtek available on ebay

Wayne wrote:
Jtek's Shiftmate is available on ebay from seller bikesportstuff. I
have ordered a shiftmate and service is great. The seller is actually
Jtek Engineering.

They are also...
Forum: Techniques November 26th 09, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By Marcus Coles
Spoke life with disc brakes

thirty-six wrote:
On 25 Nov, 23:18, Chalo wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

Castor oil, or possibly almond, although probably too thin to last any
appreciable time. ...
Forum: Techniques August 4th 09, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Marcus Coles
Compact Crank

Mark Cleary wrote:
I would like to know if any of the group uses a compact crank 50/34 and
wonder how they like the gears. The more I get use to the one I have I
generally like it don't use...
Forum: Techniques August 1st 09, 02:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Marcus Coles
So... humor me. My latest project.

RonSonic wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:05:58 -0500, !Jones wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:51:02 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech TT

Forum: Techniques August 1st 09, 12:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 38
Posted By Marcus Coles
What gauge of spoke do I have?

someone wrote:
On 31 July, 20:58, Marcus Coles wrote:
!Jones wrote:
BTW, in case anyone doesn't know, the term "gauge" usually refers to a
fraction of a known mass of...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 182