Showing results 1 to 25 of 145
Search took 0.13 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: pete whelan
Forum: UK October 19th 09, 04:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 208
Posted By pete whelan
Goodbye uk.rec.cycling; Helllo U.R.C.moderated

Last post to this 'newsgroup'. Those that remain, enjoy the Troll-fest.
Forum: UK September 14th 09, 05:44 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 23
Posted By pete whelan
Mountain bike punctures - valve being torn off.

Doki wrote:
I keep getting punctures on my mountain bike, where the Schraeder valve has
been pulled off the tube. Clearly, the tyre is rotating slightly on the rim
under braking, and pulling...
Forum: UK September 13th 09, 08:55 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By pete whelan
spa cycles

chris French wrote:
In message , Danny
Colyer writes
On 11/09/2009 00:01, Adam Lea wrote:
Anybody here used...
Forum: UK July 7th 09, 06:07 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By pete whelan
Dun Run

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:25:42 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
wrote:

In ,
Tom Crispin...
Forum: UK April 29th 09, 05:29 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By pete whelan
Can cycling furiously or red light jumping on a bike result inpoints on your driving licence?

Roger Thorpe wrote:
Every link that google throws up says no. It seems to be a popular myth
though. The most reliable reference that I can find in 2 minutes is:

Forum: UK April 28th 09, 05:02 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 110
Posted By pete whelan
Why don't they use carbon capture for cars?

Doug wrote:
As there seems to be a move to promote discussions about cars on this
cycling newsgroup may I join in?

A large tank on the roof with a compressor to store the exhaust gases.
Forum: UK April 28th 09, 05:01 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 2
Posted By pete whelan
Chainline

Alan Braggins wrote:
Given a cottered bottom bracket in poor condition, what's the best way
to go about finding a more modern replacement which will give the same
chainline for a hub gear?

Two...
Forum: UK March 5th 09, 04:45 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 36
Posted By pete whelan
cycling weekly?

Simon Grant wrote:
Hi group,
Anyone else here have a subcription to cycling weekly?.Every
thursday it lands on my doorstep,posties been and no mag,will give it until
tommorow...
Forum: UK February 2nd 09, 08:45 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By pete whelan
Which tyres in snow?

3 of them, fully slick (great in the snow on the Trice)
Forum: UK January 27th 09, 07:32 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 33
Posted By pete whelan
Advice on how to handle a situation

Mark wrote:
Hi,

Thanks to cyclecraft and reading this NG I feel safer in general on
the road. However there is one kind of situation that I regularly get
faced with that I have had no...
Forum: UK January 10th 09, 04:29 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By pete whelan
The Bicycle Diaries.

wafflycat wrote:

It's my favourite morning read :-)

.........after seeing to the food, drink & cleaning requirements of the various animals on the premises..

that reminds me, How is...
Forum: UK November 23rd 08, 01:39 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By pete whelan
SKS mudguards available separately?

Pete Biggs wrote:
Tim Dunne wrote:
Hmm, SKS chromoplastics virtually unbreakable? I think not...

Fitted a new set of p35's when I changed the forks back in June. Going
well until...
Forum: UK November 22nd 08, 06:08 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 29
Posted By pete whelan
One armed guys on HPV's

Sorry to hear about this.

One thing to remember with the cost is that if you would then be classed
as disabled, then I think you are exempt from VAT on the cycle. I was
speaking to someone...
Forum: UK October 24th 08, 06:09 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 41
Posted By pete whelan
State of the art cheap battery LED?

Andreas Schulze Bäing wrote:
On Oct 24, 4:48 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
Not looking for a MTB light with associated price tag, but something good
enough for road...
Forum: UK October 21st 08, 08:41 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 35
Posted By pete whelan
Workshop tools

David Damerell wrote:
Quoting Colin Reed :
How many here invest in all the tools for looking after bikes on a regular
basis?

I buy tools the second...
Forum: UK October 9th 08, 05:12 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 31
Posted By pete whelan
Tamdem Recommendations

Clive George wrote:
"_" wrote in message

Not necessarily - you can run whatever chainset you...
Forum: UK October 7th 08, 05:59 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 0
Posted By pete whelan
Suffolk CTC 'Rough Stuff 25' 12th October

It's that time of year again for the annual Rough Stuff in the forest on
the Suffolk Coast. Don't worry about the weather, as the course rides
better in the wet.

Turn up at Butley Village Hall (not...
Forum: UK October 7th 08, 05:18 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 16
Posted By pete whelan
Dawes Childrens Bikes:Any Good

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 01:50:26 -0700 (PDT), Myra in Cambridge
wrote:

Thanks for that analysis, Tom. In your opinion, what could Islabikes
do to make...
Forum: UK August 30th 08, 10:38 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 8
Posted By pete whelan
sports video cameras

anern wrote:
Another scrape last night (12 stitches). I've decided to get a little more
pro-active about dealing with problem motorists. Anybody got some
suggesstions on gathering evidence, I...
Forum: UK August 18th 08, 07:50 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By pete whelan
re enamelling a 531 Frame

Paul Boyd wrote:
Roger Thorpe said the following on 18/08/2008 14:12:

Why on earth would you paint an axle?

I assumed we're not talking bike axles here.

probably for a custom racing...
Forum: UK July 28th 08, 08:57 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 4
Posted By pete whelan
TT insurance

visionset wrote:
I fancied doing some TT's. A local club runs informal ones in the
evenings but requires insurance. What is generally the most cost
effective way of securing said insurance?...
Forum: UK July 21st 08, 06:12 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By pete whelan
mirrors and aerobars

anern wrote:
Hi,
Has anybody tried attaching mirrors to their face to enable them to ride
face down, to avoid neck strain and obtain a more aerodynamic position ?

Cheers,

Bruce.
Forum: UK July 20th 08, 07:58 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By pete whelan
Dunwich Dynamo - anyone riding ?

wafflycat wrote:

"Pete Whelan" wrote in message
Anyone here riding DD tomorrow evening?

Should be there. ...
Forum: UK July 18th 08, 07:10 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By pete whelan
Dunwich Dynamo - anyone riding ?

Anyone here riding DD tomorrow evening?

Should be there. Weather forecast is good.
Forum: UK June 26th 08, 07:17 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 15
Posted By pete whelan
Get your stolen bike back

Pete Biggs wrote:
Mark T wrote:
Just had an interesting talk with a policeman.

Tags, it seems, are merely a deterrent to theft. The problem with
them is that when plod spots an oik...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 145