Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.87 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Martin[_2_]
Forum: UK September 16th 10, 12:31 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 4
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Better than a speed bump?

On 15/09/2010 23:28, Tony Raven wrote:
From outside a primary school in Vancouver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r26AwT7PTM&feature=related

TBH I think this could be quite dangerous. It...
Forum: UK October 15th 09, 11:57 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By Martin[_2_]
secondary rear light suggestions

Adam Lea wrote:
I'm looking at getting a secondary light to complement my dynamo setup
primarily as a backup in case something breaks but also as a good
complementary "be seen" light. I was...
Forum: UK September 26th 09, 08:09 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 19
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Never broken a bone

Wm... wrote:

I was thunking this evening.

I've never broken a bone or had a bone broken.

My nose has been messed up a few times but that is cartilage.

I'm mid forties and never...
Forum: UK September 21st 09, 12:16 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 1
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Help - is it broken?

Passing Tyke wrote:
----- Reposted as I accidentally inserted it into a thread instead of
starting a new thread.---------

Ok, I admit it, my bike mechanic skills are lamentable, so please
Forum: UK September 15th 09, 12:46 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By Martin[_2_]
One legged bike thief sentenced.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/legged-Bristol-thief-caught-city-centre/article-1334741-detail/article.html

A one legged bike thief has been sentenced to six weeks (and a bit more
for other...
Forum: UK September 14th 09, 10:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 213
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Scotland's cycling tax

lardyninja wrote:

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/latestnews/-Government-in-talks-over.5642372.jp

Would this tax only apply to cycles purchased in Scotland, or would it
also apply to...
Forum: UK September 11th 09, 01:05 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 185
Posted By Martin[_2_]
What is a cyclist?

Doug wrote:
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of...
Forum: UK September 11th 09, 12:56 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 56
Posted By Martin[_2_]
"Cycling is not dangerous. Cars are dangerous."

Doug wrote:
That's what it says in this Times article;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article6828120.ece

And it also says:

"...According to their research,...
Forum: UK September 2nd 09, 05:33 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Self adjusting brakes?

Marc wrote:
Last night I took the rear wheel on the Dahon off, stripped it down and
repacked the bearing,adjusted the derailluer , found all the gears again
and adjusted the drum brake. While I...
Forum: UK September 2nd 09, 04:36 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Bike enthusiast develops electric penny-farthing that travelsup to 13mph

Mike P wrote:
On 2 Sep, 10:59, "Just zis ****, you know?"
wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1210534/Bike-enthusias...

£3000? Hell fire.

Forum: UK August 25th 09, 02:02 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 30
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Truing wheels

Henry Lockwood wrote:
Dear all

I'm planning to make some minor adjustments to my wheels, in order to
straighten out a couple of little wobbles. At present, I own neither
spoke key nor...
Forum: UK August 12th 09, 02:34 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 25
Posted By Martin[_2_]
More idiotic bicycle-of-the-future reportage

Simon Brooke wrote:
On 11 Aug, 22:56, James wrote:
On Aug 12, 2:13 am, Simon Brooke wrote:

On Aug 11, 3:59 pm, Martin...
Forum: UK August 11th 09, 03:59 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 25
Posted By Martin[_2_]
More idiotic bicycle-of-the-future reportage

D.M. Procida wrote:
From the Daily Mail, naturally. This time it has the imprimatur of Chris
"Very much so" Boardman.

Forum: UK August 5th 09, 02:24 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 11
Posted By Martin[_2_]
hub dynamo question

Simon Brooke wrote:
On 5 Aug, 00:10, "Adam Lea" wrote:
I am toying with the idea of getting a hub dynamo for the coming winter,
however the wheels on my road bike only...
Forum: UK August 3rd 09, 11:22 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By Martin[_2_]
LEJOG by flying recumbent trike?

Alistair Gunn wrote:
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/lands-end-to-john-ogroats-by-flying-tricycle-22666

Okay, so it uses an engine whilst flying but on the ground it's a FWD
delta...
Forum: UK August 2nd 09, 12:58 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 75
Posted By Martin[_2_]
How much to pay for a cycle helmet?

Mr. Benn wrote:

I have seen several helmets being sold for £20 or less. Does it make any
sense to spend a significant amount of money on a helmet? I realise it's
my head which is at stake...
Forum: UK July 28th 09, 10:52 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 22
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Problems with inner tube rubber becoming brittle over time?

Ian Smith wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:46:32 -0700, blackhead wis temporarily glaikit then
blurted oot this wisdom:

After getting a succession of 8 punctures in 8 days on an inner tube
Forum: UK July 24th 09, 11:48 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Bike with mudguards on.

Ken wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chloesmithnorwichnorth/3672840794/sizes/l/

Just to...
Forum: UK July 24th 09, 09:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 30
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Three wheels on my wagon...

On 2009-07-23, Tom Crispin wrote:

OK - I can understand that. A single wheeled trailer will be able to
tilt at quite an angle offsetting outward forces; a two wheeled
Forum: UK July 24th 09, 03:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Bike with mudguards on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chloesmithnorwichnorth/3672840794/sizes/l/

Just to show a nice recent bike with mudguards on. Also appears to have
light brackets and a rear reflector. Nice comfy handle...
Forum: UK July 15th 09, 06:16 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 21
Posted By Martin[_2_]
It's cycling, Jim, but not as we know it

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

I'm pretty sure that counts as a moped in traffic law, but ingenious
anyway.

Not if it can do 50mph, mopeds...
Forum: UK July 14th 09, 10:12 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 113
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Passing stationary / parked cars

Pip Ryder wrote:
When cycling on small roads in residential areas, you often get a
situation where one side of the road is blocked by parked cars and there
is only enough room for one vehicle...
Forum: UK July 14th 09, 07:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Helmet cams / Cycle cams

Pip Ryder wrote:

If you want to record your journeys for your own interest,
then of course you may

Yes, that's precisely what I want to do. I'm always on the look out for
ways to...
Forum: UK July 14th 09, 06:34 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 52
Posted By Martin[_2_]
alerting drivers to rear light failures

On 2009-07-13, Adam Lea wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
Simon...
Forum: UK July 14th 09, 02:14 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 113
Posted By Martin[_2_]
Passing stationary / parked cars

Pip Ryder wrote:
Daniel Barlow wrote:

Hell's bells, there's even a
section in the *driving test* devoted to the perception of "hazards"
like this.

How do they test it? Does the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500