Showing results 1 to 25 of 69
Search took 0.07 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Nurse Ben
Forum: Unicycling January 9th 09, 03:03 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 34
Posted By Nurse Ben
15-16 year old riders - click this

Name: Ben
Age: ummm
Birthday: 1965
Riding Style: MUni
How Long You Have Been Riding: 7 months
Country: The United States of America
Daily Practice Time: 1-2 hours, 1-3 times a week, more in the...
Forum: Unicycling January 7th 09, 08:04 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 11
Posted By Nurse Ben
Duro Wildlife Leapord tire pressure

I reckon a good starting pressure is about 1psi per 10lbs of rider
weight.

Good suggestion. I run the Intense DH 3" at 15-20# for my 200# weight,
the lower setting (15#) is better for slow,...
Forum: Unicycling December 19th 08, 05:32 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 49
Posted By Nurse Ben
Tips please--- How to fall and avoid injury.

Six weeks and my broken fingers are just starting to be usable, though
it hasn't stopped me from riding :rolleyes:

Hand injuries are common if you fall on your hands, the same could be
said if you...
Forum: Unicycling December 15th 08, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 13
Posted By Nurse Ben
Crank lengh advice needed please.

The spin rate doesn't change with shorter cranks, but it may feel
smoother and easier to spin. That said, if you want speed then you'll
need a larger wheel. For muni, anything shorter than 150 at...
Forum: Unicycling December 3rd 08, 02:44 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 53
Posted By Nurse Ben
KH / Schlumpf Geared 24" mountain unicycling

I've ridden a 26" and 24" muni on the same trails, and though the 24" is
a bit more agile, the 26" is durn close to the same. A smaller wheel
makes a 24" a bit twitchy at times, whereas the 26" is...
Forum: Unicycling November 30th 08, 01:17 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By Nurse Ben
Guni Suspension, New plans

If you put the suspension in the legs, how will you keep the side
working in concert (together)? Suspenion at the crown would be easier,
but then the previous pictures pretty much worked that...
Forum: Unicycling November 27th 08, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Nurse Ben
Hand Injuries Common in Muni? Or is just me?

Well, I don't think it was my fall technique that was the problem :o

I was riding single track, setting up to do a rolling hop over a log,
and I didn't see the root a few feet in front of the log,...
Forum: Unicycling November 26th 08, 01:25 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 29
Posted By Nurse Ben
Do you guys ACTUALLY get mad??

Not mad, but sometimes I get tired of people paying attention to my
riding likes it's a circus trick.

I have much better input from mountain bikers, esp folks who have seen
me on the trails. They...
Forum: Unicycling November 25th 08, 02:35 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Nurse Ben
Hand Injuries Common in Muni? Or is just me?

After six months of riding, I finally took a fall that did damage. I was
setting up to roll a fallen log, when I bobbled on a smaller root and
did a dive into the log and landed on my grab hand. I...
Forum: Unicycling November 19th 08, 01:45 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 25
Posted By Nurse Ben
Odd Hub Design (Pros vs. Cons?)

That's a sweet idea, why not suggest it Kris or UDC? I bet they'd
consider selling an aftermarket bearing cap if folks would buy it.
Another possibility would be nylon piece that clips onto the...
Forum: Unicycling November 11th 08, 07:13 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 39
Posted By Nurse Ben
Round Crown Aluminum Frame

How much market is there for a frame only?

Granted, I'm looking to upgrade my 24" Nimbus II, but that's only
because it's the old one which is too narrow for a 3" tire; I also want
brake...
Forum: Unicycling November 9th 08, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 1
Posted By Nurse Ben
Eastern TN, Southeastern KY, Western NC Riders?

I live in the Knoxville area of East Tennessee. They're not a lot of
riders here, so I mostly ride alone or with my son. Is there anyone else
out there who'd like to meet for a ride?

We have some...
Forum: Unicycling November 6th 08, 07:28 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 7
Posted By Nurse Ben
Slowest learners?

I practice about 1 hour on the weekends.

Okay, I hate to seem negative, but do yo uactually expect to learn
unicycling by practicing for one hour per week?

I consider my self a slow learner,...
Forum: Unicycling November 6th 08, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Nurse Ben
A couple of questions from a newbie..

It takes time, lots and lots of time.

My son and I have been riding unicycles for five months. It took a week
to ride across the yard, a month to ride around the parking lot, two
months to learn a...
Forum: Unicycling November 4th 08, 05:00 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 36
Posted By Nurse Ben
24" vs. 26" Muni

I've pre-ordered a 26" ISIS MUni with 137mm Moments from municycle.ca
and I'm not 100% sure if I've made the right choice for the rim size. I
think I could handle a 26" with those cranks (I...
Forum: Unicycling November 4th 08, 05:00 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 36
Posted By Nurse Ben
24" vs. 26" Muni

I've pre-ordered a 26" ISIS MUni with 137mm Moments from municycle.ca
and I'm not 100% sure if I've made the right choice for the rim size. I
think I could handle a 26" with those cranks (I...
Forum: Unicycling November 4th 08, 04:52 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 36
Posted By Nurse Ben
24" vs. 26" Muni

A lot of the 24 vs 26 vs 29 debate is really null until you factor in
rider experience. As a new rider, I started on a 24, felt like I
couldn't "clear" certain obstacles, so I went up to a 26 which...
Forum: Unicycling October 31st 08, 12:59 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Nurse Ben
Anyone ride a 29er muni with long cranks?

Well I've been riding the 150's for the past few weeks. Things are okay,
still hard to climb and descend, though I feel like there are some
advantages such as being able to get in the sweet spot...
Forum: Unicycling October 28th 08, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 34
Posted By Nurse Ben
29" tires - big volume

Given that the existing rim is great for XC use, I'm not sure about
doing something only slightly wider (e.g. 42") because it would be
heavier than the current 38 mm rim without the huge...
Forum: Unicycling October 10th 08, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 7
Posted By Nurse Ben
Gel vs Freeride Saddles for Muni

The KH gel can be comfortable, but you may need to play with the seat
angle. I bought a KH adjustable seat post and it's the bomb for fine
seat adjustments.

I ride the gel on distance and muni and...
Forum: Unicycling October 9th 08, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Nurse Ben
Anyone ride a 29er muni with long cranks?

I normally ride a 26er with 165 Momen, Gazz 2.6. I also have a 24 muni
with 150 Moments, Kenda Klaw 2.6.

I just got a KH 29, running 125/150 Moments, Nevegal. I like the way
the uni rides on...
Forum: Unicycling October 6th 08, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Nurse Ben
What helmet?

BMX helmet for park and street, bike helmet or similar for CC Muni. The
BMX helmets have more coverage, so they will be hotter, but they give
more protection and stay in place better than a bike...
Forum: Unicycling October 1st 08, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 9
Posted By Nurse Ben
Dogs love MUni

I have always had trail dogs, when I ran ultras my dogs were my training
partners. Mountain biking and muni are the same, if I go, they go. I
like muni for my current trail dog, Matty, because he has...
Forum: Unicycling September 30th 08, 07:53 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 31
Posted By Nurse Ben
Best Muni/Trials Shoe

Another vote for 5.10 Impact 2's. I have the low customs (Sam Hills).
Great durability, sticky when wet, can be harder to chaneg foot
placement, but all you need to do is run a shoe with...
Forum: Unicycling September 26th 08, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 2,626
Posted By Nurse Ben
Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Where I ride there are tons of mountain bikers, but muni is totally new,
so much so that many times I'll have someone pass me and it'll take them
a while to realize that I was on a unicycle. A couple...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 69