Showing results 1 to 25 of 33
Search took 0.51 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Neil[_3_]
Forum: UK January 23rd 13, 10:40 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 2
Posted By Neil[_3_]
air temperature and wax

Dear All,
How useful a guide is air temperature for waxes. I was out in +6 but a blue
wax -6 to 0 worked fine.
Forum: UK December 14th 12, 01:55 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Derailleur for older frames

This works if the cage is steel not aluminium. Check by using a magnet.

"thirty-six" wrote in message

On Dec 2, 3:10 pm,...
Forum: UK December 2nd 12, 01:37 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Derailleur for older frames

Didn't like using brute force and bending things but it seems to have
worked. Because the angle of the seat post was beyond the spec of the mech
(60-68 degrees) the curve of the derailleur was...
Forum: UK December 1st 12, 11:30 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Derailleur for older frames

I spoke to a bike shop nearby that seemed to know what they are talking
about (they have 500 bikes for hire) and they recommended taking a screw
drive and bending the derailleur cage, if it was a...
Forum: Techniques November 30th 12, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Derailleur for old frame

re-sprayed second hand job. The specifications for the derailleur do limit
it to 68. It is curved completely differently form the chain ring.

"AMuzi" wrote in message...
Forum: Techniques November 30th 12, 06:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Derailleur for old frame

Replacing a front derailleur I discover that the no longer sell ones the fit
older bikes that have a seat tube that is 74o . Any suggestions about where
I could a suitable derailleur or any...
Forum: UK November 30th 12, 06:24 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Derailleur for older frames

Dear All,
Replacing a front derailleur I discover that the no longer sell ones the fit
older bikes that have a seat tube that is 74o . Any suggestions about where
I could a suitable derailleur or...
Forum: UK September 12th 12, 11:52 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 28
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Bike Helmets

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, Rob. Lots of good ideas. I wonder if
there is a trade off between robustness and lightness particularly with
those built to esn 1078 standard.
Another factor in...
Forum: UK September 10th 12, 04:29 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 28
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Bike Helmets

Interesting photo, I personally have always favoured reserving tactile
nuclear devices for taxis.

"thirty-six" wrote in message...
Forum: UK September 9th 12, 10:24 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 28
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Bike Helmets

Dear All,
Had a disagreement with a car, It lost a wing mirror and I acquired a few
cuts and bruises so both parties lived to tell the tale.
But after 40 years of cycling I will have to finally bite...
Forum: UK July 19th 12, 12:48 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 45
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Chain overriding

Dear All,
problems with chain and largest front chain ring. The chain over rides the
largest front chain ring and comes off. This is with the shifters
adjustment screw as finely set as I can. The...
Forum: UK July 9th 12, 09:35 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Chain over riding large front chain ring

Dear All,
problems with chain and largest front chain ring. The chain over rides the
largest front chain ring and comes off. This is with the shifters
adjustment screw as finely set as I can. The...
Forum: UK November 5th 11, 10:35 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Cantilever Brakes - centring

Got round to adjusting the brakes. Turned the spring around, made sure that
it was in the correct hole - eh viola - problem solved! Thanks N_Cook!

"N_Cook" wrote in message...
Forum: UK November 4th 11, 10:52 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Cantilever Brakes - centring

Finally got around to fixing that brake. Turned around the torsion spring,
made sure it was locked into the correct hole and it worked a treat. Thanks!

"N_Cook" wrote in message...
Forum: UK September 15th 11, 04:29 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Cantilever Brakes - centring

Hi All,
problem with centring my cantilever brakes. One side will not spring back
out and is always close to the rim, so I have to leave the brakes quite
slack. I have greased the frame post. I am...
Forum: UK August 23rd 11, 12:45 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 136
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Helmets don't always work ..

How?

"The Medicated Handyman" wrote in message

On 21/08/2011 23:46, Neil wrote:
I do not wear a helmet because I survived many decades before they came
into...
Forum: UK August 21st 11, 11:46 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 136
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Helmets don't always work ..

I know that road and have been down it many times. It is extremely steep
+15%. It has very sharp bends. It has gravel on the road. It was the reason
I upgraded my brakes - I was using my feet to...
Forum: General August 21st 11, 02:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Wear indicator

Hi all,
How do wear indicators work on rims. I have a wheel where the wear indicator
on the rim is starting to disappear. Do I need a new wheel.
Neil
Forum: General June 9th 11, 11:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 22
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Furniture spray.

Cleaned off old oil - sprayed some furniture spray - cycled a couple of
miles -seems to work. I'll do a longer rides over the weekend which will
explore how long it lasts and whether it picks up...
Forum: General June 6th 11, 04:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 22
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Furniture spray.

I tried furniture spray on some squeaky door hinges. It worked a treat.
Tomorrow I will clean off a new chain and try it on that.
Neil

"Neil" wrote in message...
Forum: General June 3rd 11, 07:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 22
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Furniture spray.

Could you use furniture spray as a chain lube?

"Neil" wrote in message ...

Dear all,
just had a guy round fixing my windows. There was a problem with a...
Forum: General June 3rd 11, 10:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 22
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Furniture spray.

Dear all,
just had a guy round fixing my windows. There was a problem with a metal
hinge. He suggested using furniture polish rather than WD40 to lubricate it
as the polish would not collect grit....
Forum: General April 13th 10, 10:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 4
Posted By Neil[_3_]
To replace bottom bracket

The article talks about cups - does it relate to sealed bearings or the old
cup and cone system?

"landotter" wrote in message...
Forum: General April 13th 10, 10:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 4
Posted By Neil[_3_]
To replace bottom bracket

Dear All,
there is a clicking noise coming from my bottom bracket. In the days of cup
and cone bearings I would have assumed that it was a crushed bearing is this
the case with sealed...
Forum: UK February 3rd 10, 04:39 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By Neil[_3_]
Correct chain length

The article directs you to link the chains outside of the derailleur and
then an additional chain. If I do this the chain is too long when the chain
is put through the derailleur. Worn jockey...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 33