Search: Posts made by: NFN Smith[_2_]
Forum: General March 7th 18, 11:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 2
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
Striking a Match

Joy Beeson wrote:

Upon reading that Giro helmets are being boycotted by nutcases,

Where did you see that?

logged into DuckDuckGo to see whether any of their models would suit
me when I...
Forum: General February 21st 18, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
Car features and other gadgets: was: my fixie doesn't needimprovement

John B. wrote:
Can you still walk into a car dealer and buy a car with a manual
transmission? Here I was told that an auto transmission would have to
be special ordered.

I have a neighbor who...
Forum: General September 4th 17, 05:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: It bears repeating

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Zoning out is relaxing, but it works only in ideal conditions.

To this end, I will *never*, under any conditions, ride with earbuds, no
matter how bored my brain might...
Forum: General June 19th 17, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 2
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
Learning from a fatal accident

Frank Krygowski wrote:
So yes, the area to the right of a motor vehicle that may turn right
should be avoided, whether moving or standing still. Don't let paint
think for you. Just take...
Forum: General June 19th 17, 12:51 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 2
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
Learning from a fatal accident

A few weeks ago, there was a fatal accident -- two women and a large
truck. One had injuries (I think not serious), the other was killed. I
believe that both were members of a competitive club (and...
Forum: General March 21st 17, 08:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: Always signal

Joy Beeson wrote:

The driver's manual says that you don't need to signal your turns
unless your actions might affect other people, but making it a habit
to signal whenever you have no reason...
Forum: General February 13th 17, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: How to ride on a walkway

Joy Beeson wrote:
Indeed, putting up a sign saying that wheel toys are welcome may make
a multi-user path *more* dangerous than an ordinary walking path.
"Bike" paths are very rarely safe...
Forum: General November 22nd 16, 01:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: I did it again.

Joy Beeson wrote:
I was riding west on Arthur Street, approaching the intersection with
Park. When I got close to the intersection, I moved right because I
intended to turn right when I got...
Forum: General November 1st 16, 12:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: Riding on the verge

Joy Beeson wrote:

Always leave yourself room to dodge to the right (or left on the other
side of the pond) -- but there *are* times when you want to ride as
far to the right as possible, so...
Forum: General October 20th 16, 07:47 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: Halt!

Joy Beeson wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 14:18:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

With what do you spray it? Your water bottle?

That can work, actually. If you have no Halt and you...
Forum: General September 9th 16, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: Sidewalks

John B. wrote:
I would add "elbow room" to "speed". Two pedestrians can, if
necessary, sort of side step close to each other and get through a
space narrower than the usual bicycle handle bars...
Forum: General September 8th 16, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: Sidewalks

Frank Krygowski wrote:

They are for pedestrians, but in many places it's legal for cyclists to
ride them. Local laws vary.

I agree that they're for pedestrians, specifically for foot...
Forum: General September 9th 15, 11:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: Legal isn't always smart

Duane wrote:
But likely a 44 ton truck is not going to be able to pass me in the same
lane with 1m to spare so he will be forced to move to the other lane.
Well theoretically anyway. That's...
Forum: General September 9th 15, 11:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: Legal isn't always smart

wrote:
In France I didn't see people passing people other than casually. I
also didn't see racers inside the city limits. That was in 2002 and
things might have changed....
Forum: General September 7th 15, 04:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: Legal isn't always smart

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

"... if there is a solid line, a vehicle is expected to stay in that
lane, and a vehicle should not cross a solid line. That's not only...
Forum: General September 5th 15, 04:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: Legal isn't always smart

Joy Beeson wrote:

Now and again you see a sign telling you that it's legal to ride your
bike on a sidewalk. It may even be a special sidewalk on which curbs
and steps have been replaced with...
Forum: General December 1st 14, 01:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
shipping a bike

Gus Overton wrote:
If I do ship-- Greyhound? I had a bike shipped from Erie to Denver
once that way. I assume the airline would too, but probably a lot
more $... I'll need a box too... I...
Forum: General November 21st 14, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 870
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
AG: Make some noise

Joy Beeson wrote:
Before you overtake someone, MAKE SOME NOISE. "Hi!" is popular for
this purpose when overtaking another bicycle on the road. When
overtaking a pedestrian on a recreationway,...
Forum: General February 26th 14, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 6
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
Lights Question: Blinking Best ?

Stephen Harding wrote:
In Europe (Germany I think), it's illegal to use blinking lights on your
bike. You must use non-blinking ones.

This is backed up by studies (Europeans do a lot more...
Forum: General May 24th 11, 09:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 18
Posted By NFN Smith[_2_]
Price points: you've got to shop around

de-lurking...

Bill wrote:
My LBS wanted $70 for them.
Performance (50 miles away) didn't even have any rims! (The clerk told
me to try City Bicycle Works of Sacramento.) City Bicycle Works