Showing results 1 to 25 of 206
Search took 0.22 seconds.
Forum: Techniques December 30th 11, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By [email protected]
Stem Failure?

Billet part.
Forged gives better properties.
Forum: Techniques December 30th 11, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
What was the saddle with upturned back edge?

Laurent easily could have. I found a pic of Thierry Marie on it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steel-is-real/2957107257/
Forum: Techniques December 29th 11, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
How many years was Shimano Sante produced for?

Yep. IIRC Sante was 7s while N600 was still 6s; Dura-Ace had gone 7s already. Shortly after that 600 was also 7s, but cassette only - no freewheel. Sante was available either freewheel or cassette.
Forum: Techniques December 29th 11, 03:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
What was the saddle with upturned back edge?

Selle San Marco offered the Concor in a "Sprint" version. Google that.
Forum: Techniques December 29th 11, 03:17 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
How long were Shimano AX groupsets produce for? Advantages of?

On Tuesday, 27 December 2011 14:11:26 UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I know that one problem with them was the large one inch
diameter pedal eyes.

The pedal bearings went out for several riders I...
Forum: Techniques December 29th 11, 03:08 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
How long were Shimano AX groupsets produce for? Advantages of?

Dura-Ace AX worked well, but not if you used a Regina freewheel - the spacing was slightly wider than Shimano, so shifting suffered. And nearly everyone I knew had lots of wheels with Regina and...
Forum: Techniques December 3rd 11, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By [email protected]
Are Bio-pace or similat chainrings advantageous for touring?

Maybe Rotor Q-Rings could be helpful? Especially this part: "Oxygen consumption (during weeks 2-4) and heart rate (weeks 1-3) were significantly lower with Rotor Q-Rings during submaximal testing...
Forum: Techniques October 16th 11, 05:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
Pro TT bike with internal water bladder?

http://books.google.com/books?id=3XJvgh7n3wkC&printsec=frontcover&dq=might+as+well+win&hl=en&ei=FV6aTqrXK8mQiQLoxtyKDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=bladder&f=fals...
Forum: Techniques October 1st 11, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By [email protected]
4-Cross or 5-Cross, help me decide

You can type any number you like into spocalc. Pretty sure it's in the cell right below 4x.
Forum: Techniques October 1st 11, 05:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By [email protected]
Rebuilding Mavic Wheels?

Nice! Free hub for a fun project.

Hubs something like these?
http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/road-triathlon/wheels/Ksyrium-Equipe

You can use spocalc to calculate a length if you can...
Forum: Techniques September 23rd 11, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By [email protected]
4-Cross or 5-Cross, help me decide

Probably doesn't matter for strenth.

Jobst used to say N/9 is the max recommended cross to avoid spoke head interference.
Forum: Techniques August 20th 11, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 33
Posted By [email protected]
Fix shimmy with foam?

What make and model aero frame is it?
Forum: Techniques August 13th 11, 08:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
SRAM front derailleur w/ Shimano to fix BrazeOn issue

You are exactly correct about the 2 mounting holes and that's one reason I like SRAM FDs.

Yes, SRAM FDs work well with Shimano shifters. Just get any model other than Red - its titanium cage is...
Forum: Techniques July 31st 11, 08:24 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By [email protected]
Teflon pipe compound?/RIP Open Pro Redux

Spoke Prep is my favorite too.
Forum: Techniques July 27th 11, 11:45 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
The comforts of a carbon fiber frame

Hi Frank,

TOUR Magazine did this.
Well, single blind at least.
They wrapped the bikes with duct tape.
Not all the same components, but at least the same saddles.

It's...
Forum: Techniques July 27th 11, 11:35 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By [email protected]
Teflon pipe compound?/RIP Open Pro Redux

I've used teflon pipe thread compound on spoke threads. I never had an issue with spokes loosening, but that could be because I also use a spoke tension meter. I never found out for sure but the...
Forum: Techniques November 13th 10, 03:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By [email protected]
Frank's homework assigmment

On Nov 11, 9:45*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
This was directed at Frank K because he claims to be the physics guru
and have all the numbers, but might be an interesting topic for
Forum: Social Issues November 11th 10, 03:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Replies: 70
Posted By [email protected]
Can Saddles Restrict Bloodflow To Legs?

On Nov 11, 12:51*am, James wrote:
On Nov 9, 7:09*am, thirty-six wrote:

(but not past the balls of the foot).

Do most people have a...
Forum: Social Issues November 5th 10, 02:21 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Replies: 70
Posted By [email protected]
Can Saddles Restrict Bloodflow To Legs?

On Nov 4, 7:26*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:

BTW, do any of you know of any resources on how to assess saddle width
knowing the spacing of your sit bones? Mine appear to be about...
Forum: Techniques October 18th 10, 12:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
Can use 8 spd cog as lowest cog on 9 spd?

On Oct 16, 10:30*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use an 8 speed 28 tooth cog
as the lowest cog on a 12 - 25 cog...
Forum: Techniques October 18th 10, 12:24 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By [email protected]
105 front derailleur FD-5703 and old steel frame braze-on

On Oct 17, 2:13*am, Ciera wrote:
If you hold the braze-on versions of the current 105 and Ultegra front
derailers for triple cranksets (FD-5703 and FD-6703) side-by-side...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 10, 01:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 127
Posted By [email protected]
Carbon rims melting

On Oct 10, 10:12*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
Anyone here ever actually melted a carbon rim from braking?

In light of the nature of the material (specifically the resin) it
does...
Forum: Racing August 28th 10, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
What does a death on a training ride call us to do?

On Aug 26, 9:20*am, --D-y wrote:
On Aug 25, 8:20*pm, "
wrote:

Kurt Hovelijnck, pro cyclist, fractured his skull in a...
Forum: Racing August 26th 10, 02:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
What does a death on a training ride call us to do?

Kurt Hovelijnck, pro cyclist, fractured his skull in a training
accident.

Should we encourage riders to wear helmets? What other reaction can
there be? Assuming Mr. Hovelijnck's fans care, how can...
Forum: Racing August 25th 10, 11:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 44
Posted By [email protected]
John Howard Today

On Aug 25, 3:22*pm, Fred Flintstein