Showing results 1 to 25 of 456
Search took 0.42 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Donald Gillies
Forum: Techniques April 29th 08, 03:26 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Donald Gillies
Bottom brackets, etc.

HDGuzzi writes:

Can anyone tell me if the bottom bracket inners from a '70s version
Raleigh Sports will fit into a 1969/70 Gran Prix frame? I'm thinking
of maybe taking...
Forum: Techniques April 28th 08, 03:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Donald Gillies
Campagnolo Freewheel Removal

Given that Euro-Asia still has a very generous selection of cogs for
these freewheels, and in VG condition they sell (used) for about $200
on ebay, I'd take extra-special care of your campy...
Forum: Techniques April 28th 08, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By Donald Gillies
Bottom bracket corrosion: can this bike be saved?

I'd suggest two things :

(a) Get someone to coach you removal of a bottom bracket. You're
batting 0/2, as far as I can tell.

(b) Get rid of that shimano proprietary crap that is ruining...
Forum: Techniques April 23rd 08, 09:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Donald Gillies
Any way to find original parts?

glibdud writes:

Hi folks. I have a Giant Cypress DX (2006 model, I think) that I
bought last year. Over the winter, my cats got at it and tore up the
grips. The gear-shift...
Forum: Techniques April 22nd 08, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Donald Gillies
Chinese "craftsmanship"

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:19:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I give a little cycling business to a friend shop owner who is an
admitted republican because, as he...
Forum: Techniques April 18th 08, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Donald Gillies
Chinese "craftsmanship"

Tom Sherman writes:

aka Andres Muro wrote:
[...]
I have a chinese made titanium frame. It's great. Nice finish, nice
welds, works...
Forum: Techniques April 18th 08, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 74
Posted By Donald Gillies
Chinese "craftsmanship"

Tom Sherman writes:

aka Andres Muro wrote:
[...]
I have a chinese made titanium frame. It's great. Nice finish, nice
welds, works...
Forum: Techniques April 18th 08, 10:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Donald Gillies
IRD Freewheels : Worth 3x the cost ??

"Mike Jacoubowsky" writes:

"Chalo" wrote in message
| Ryan Cousineau...
Forum: Techniques April 14th 08, 04:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 55
Posted By Donald Gillies
IRD Freewheels : Worth 3x the cost ??

Chalo writes:

If you were going to run a 9 or 10-speed cassette, it's still
comparable. So far, there has been no expansion of gearing range
offered by higher sprocket...
Forum: Techniques April 12th 08, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

$14.95 for a 13-24 7-speed freewheel (sunrace) at bikeman.com
$12.95 for a 13-24 7-speed freewheel (nashbar) at nashbar.com

I remember that when IRD first announced their 'defiant'
freewheels, they...
Forum: Techniques April 7th 08, 11:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Donald Gillies
How do I remove brake hoods?

writes:

Do I need to remove brake handles from the handlebars to remove the
rubber brake hoods or do they just get wrestled off from the front "as
is"?

It probably depends...
Forum: Techniques April 1st 08, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Donald Gillies
What are the differences between Sugino Alpina and Alpina 2 cranks?

Check out this Alpina Cospea (in Octalink) before you make your buying decision :

Forum: Techniques April 1st 08, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Donald Gillies
What are the differences between Sugino Alpina and Alpina 2 cranks?

bfd writes:

Does anybody know what, if any, are the difference between the Sugino
Alpina and Alpina 2 crankarms?

1. Alpina Cospea has much thinner (lighter, more machined)...
Forum: Techniques April 1st 08, 10:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Donald Gillies
What are the differences between Sugino Alpina and Alpina 2 cranks?

I have been drooling over these cranks for a long time. The Alpina
Cospea XD8000 from Jitensha (and also bensbike on ebay, in Octalink)
was a high-end crankset sugino was offering, and its weight...
Forum: Techniques April 1st 08, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Donald Gillies
removing painted decals from bare titanium

Have you tried a blow-dryer? In most cases, mild heat will soften
glue enough that the decal can simply be pulled away, intact ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Forum: Techniques April 1st 08, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Donald Gillies
Worn out chainrings?

A Muzi writes:

Tom Sherman wrote:
So how does the professional bicycle mechanic decide when to recommend
new chainrings [1] to the customer?
[1] Or is a new crank...
Forum: Techniques March 27th 08, 11:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By Donald Gillies
Bike chains

Andrew Price writes:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:12:53 -0700, Michael Press
wrote:

The on-bike chain cleaning tools are very little help.

I disagree, I think...
Forum: Techniques March 26th 08, 11:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By Donald Gillies
Bike chains

"Mike Jacoubowsky" writes:

If you've got a 10-speed drivetrain, the KMC & Shimano chains work very
nicely. I'm not a fan of the SRAM. Noisy, seems to wear more quickly,...
Forum: Techniques March 26th 08, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 43
Posted By Donald Gillies
Cup & Cone Bottom Brackets - Any Sources?

datakoll writes:

try ... EPDI, ...

EPDI ?? The European Post Doctoral Institute ??

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA
Forum: Techniques March 25th 08, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 43
Posted By Donald Gillies
Cup & Cone Bottom Brackets - Any Sources?

Hands Of Stone writes:

I am looking for a source for high-quality conventional cup & cone BBs
(JIS square taper). Ritchey used to still make some but they are no
longer...
Forum: Techniques March 25th 08, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Donald Gillies
I put new leather on my B-66

Eric Vey writes:

And it doesn't look awful even though I have never done anything with
leather before.

I made up a page describing how I did it with photos of the finished...
Forum: Techniques March 22nd 08, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By Donald Gillies
Pedal suggestions, please.

A Muzi writes:

They're quality too, last seemingly forever under the most abusive
riders/conditions. Still made in Japan, first...
Forum: Techniques March 21st 08, 03:53 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By Donald Gillies
Pedal suggestions, please.

writes:

So, what's a good, solid, nonexpensive, non-boat-achor (quill) pedal nowadays?

I'm having a lot of fun with some excellent low-cost MKS Pedals :

(a) MKS Sylvan...
Forum: Techniques March 16th 08, 09:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Donald Gillies
WHAT is the asking price for a perfect 1967 first run TREK?

Early (pre-1980) treks show up on ebay quite commonly. I believe that
for the first 2-3 years, they were sold as either standalone
framesets, or full-custom bicycles which could be ordered with...
Forum: Techniques March 11th 08, 10:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 30
Posted By Donald Gillies
BB Shell Cracked! Is this just what folders do, with a 210 lb rider?

A Muzi writes:

Well, I looked.

We agree that, as the original owner, Jay should converse with Bike
Friday directly about this. Moreso because it was custom built with both...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 456