Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jim
Forum: UK October 16th 09, 07:42 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 35
Posted By Jim
London's hire bike scheme

congokid wrote:

I prefer coasting to a halt at lights, junctions, crossings,
etc if
possible on my commute to work. No point in reaching a red
light only to
stop, if I can manage to get...
Forum: UK October 15th 09, 11:20 PM Posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 87
Posted By Jim
Newsgroup uk.rec.cycling.moderated now created

jms wrote:

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:19:29 +0000 (UTC), Percy Picacity
wrote:

I probably haven't been paying attention but is the above
web page
public and, if so,...
Forum: UK October 3rd 09, 01:34 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 84
Posted By Jim
20mph urban limit

spindrift wrote:

More 20mph zones, more cameras to enforce them, are
inevitable.

Does anyone enforce 20mph zones with cameras? I was at a town
council meeting recently where the police chap...
Forum: UK October 3rd 09, 12:49 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By Jim
strange dynamo problem

terryj wrote:

I have never had a return wire because I have little
understanding, but
never had a problem.
Where do all those electrons come from, doesn't the frame
run out of
them after a...
Forum: UK October 3rd 09, 07:12 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 32
Posted By Jim
dynamo query

Judith M Smith wrote:

A few years ago - bottle type dynamos were very popular.

Did they actually make contact with the tyre or the rim of the
wheel?

Usually the tyre, but sometimes the...
Forum: UK October 2nd 09, 08:30 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 15
Posted By Jim
Got a (new-sort-of) bike.

Ian wrote:

prevailing on the good nature of uk.r.c,.... I have aquired
a Bicycle.
(thats two I have now.....)

Cost: �0

State: Complete, almost.
Forum: UK October 2nd 09, 06:04 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 71
Posted By Jim
Wiggos' wife knocked off her bike.

RudiL wrote:

On 2 Oct, 12:52, Simon Brooke
wrote:
FWIW, I have had two injury-accidents in something over
quarter of a
million miles of cycling.
[snip]
Wow! a...
Forum: UK October 1st 09, 07:00 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 116
Posted By Jim
Where "facilities" end

David Hansen wrote:

You might be able to ride a bike at 40mph uphill, but not
everyone
can.

My thoughts exactly. I fortunately have only one roundabout on
my commute - there's nothing...
Forum: Recumbent Biking October 1st 09, 06:52 PM Posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Replies: 6
Posted By Jim
Triton trikes?

wrote:

Hello,

Target carries a trike brand that's totally new to me:
http://www.asaproducts.com/.

Has anybody here heard of Triton Trikes before?

No.
Forum: UK October 1st 09, 05:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 24
Posted By Jim
The right saddle

Simon Brooke wrote:

I've ridden on Brooks saddles a great deal over twenty
years; I have
several. I've never had one drop down onto its internal bars
(or even
nearly). The only way you can...
Forum: UK September 29th 09, 07:44 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 43
Posted By Jim
Loads on bikes

Paul - xxx wrote:

David Damerell wrote:

Quoting Paul - xxx :

[snip]

All but the largest cars ...
Forum: UK September 29th 09, 06:20 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 116
Posted By Jim
Where "facilities" end

I think the main problem with the roundabout I have in mind is
that not only is it the intersection of two A roads, but a 5th
road is the service road to MacDonalds Drive Thru "restaurant"
(Boy...
Forum: UK September 29th 09, 07:50 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 116
Posted By Jim
Where "facilities" end

Daniel Barlow wrote:
For the avoidance of doubt: I agree with you completely on
this. I
cannot think of a general way to make big roundabouts safer
for
cyclists, except perhaps by hatching...
Forum: UK September 28th 09, 06:23 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Jim
another dynamo question

Peter Clinch wrote:

I'd say it's the exception that proves the rule: I run a
bottle on it
because it won't take a hub, but running a bottle on that
while we've
hubs on the touring 'bents, my...
Forum: UK September 26th 09, 05:33 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By Jim
Galaxy rebuild

Marc wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions about what to
replace the rest with?

If it were me (and if I could afford it which I can't) I'd try
one of those 14-speed hub gears. If you're having...
Forum: UK September 26th 09, 11:01 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Jim
Any body from Islington?

I'm delighted to say I don't live in Islington, no.

Tosspot wrote:

"A London council has installed a series of speed bumps on a
pedestrian
road - to stop cyclists in their tracks".

Forum: UK September 25th 09, 11:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 195
Posted By Jim
"Now it's speed bumps for cyclists"

Ben C wrote:
Generally agreed?!

Not by our local graffiti artist - who sprayed a picture of a
male thingy on a speedbump near here.

It looked like it was done in the style of and was even signed...
Forum: UK September 25th 09, 07:30 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Jim
another dynamo question

Clive George wrote:

But I notice you said backup. The hub dynamos are the best
by a long way,
but once you're carrying one you may as well use the light
as a main and
keep the rechargable...
Forum: UK September 25th 09, 06:40 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Jim
another dynamo question

Clive George wrote:
Still using bulbs? Try an LED dynamo light - loads better,
and removes one
of the failure modes too.

Would you recommend any particular LED dynamo light? Or put
another...
Showing results 1 to 19 of 19