Forum: Techniques September 10th 19, 06:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 54
Posted By [email protected]
Does anything dissolve paint thinner

"I use brake cleaner for all my degreasing needs."

I don't wish to be disrespectful, but this makes no sense to me. Brake cleaner lifts bicycle paint, and there is virtually no way to keep it from...
Forum: Techniques September 4th 19, 02:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 54
Posted By [email protected]
Does anything dissolve paint thinner

Naptha was used by the dry cleaning industry until the '60s, when it was discovered to be carcinogenic. Then perchlorethylene (sp?) or "perc" started to be used. Although perc was also...
Forum: Techniques September 4th 19, 12:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 54
Posted By [email protected]
Does anything dissolve paint thinner

I like to use naptha for all parts cleaning. Don't get too much of it on your skin for too long, and don't breathe the fumes too much. Use gloves.

The best buy in naptha is the 5-gallon container...
Forum: Techniques May 23rd 19, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
High ratio climbing gears

Tom, I didn't get the size of your small front chainring. I really like my compact crankset, BTW. If you aren't using one, you might want to try one.
Forum: Techniques April 14th 19, 04:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By [email protected]
Any problem with the plastic suspension parts on a SpecializedS-Works Tarmac road bike?

One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works Tarmac CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic (polymer??) bits in the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 19, 10:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 114
Posted By [email protected]
Damned Central Heating!

The new, "smart" HVAC systems with the 2-stage compressors and the DC-operated, variable-speed fan motors are very trouble-prone and cost much more to repair than any energy savings you might get...
Forum: Techniques December 4th 18, 12:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By [email protected]
What kind of pump am I supposed to use on this bike?

Thanks a lot, boys. That Mt. Zefal "HPX Protection" piece looks like what I want. I'll see if the LBS has it.
Forum: Techniques December 3rd 18, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By [email protected]
What kind of pump am I supposed to use on this bike?

Old Supergo Access hardtail MTB made from Columbus Cromor, with a top peg brazed behind the seat tube. Gotta be Shrader. Top and bottom mounts look like...
Forum: Techniques November 3rd 18, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
disc brake grabs at one place

Brake cleaner dissolves rubber seals and lifts paint. I would recommend using automotive paint-type grease and wax remover instead (e.g., Dupli-Color Grease and Wax Remover; there are several other...
Forum: Techniques September 1st 18, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 96
Posted By [email protected]
Who is a real cyclist ?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the difference between waiving your breaches and waving your breeches. Jay, would you please explain?
Forum: Techniques August 31st 18, 04:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 96
Posted By [email protected]
Who is a real cyclist ?

I'm so damned old that before learning to ride a bike, I pushed scooters when they were still called "Go Devils". So I am real by seniority, no matter that I now ride only for exercise.
Forum: Techniques July 16th 18, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By [email protected]
29er "pedals easier"

Very, very good! Thanks for all your thoughtful opinions. I will tell my friend that his 29er pedals easier because he must be riding over zombies but just doesn't realize it!
Forum: Techniques July 15th 18, 06:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By [email protected]
29er "pedals easier"

I have a friend who just bought a new 29"-wheel Motobecane MTB and swears that, due to the larger-diameter wheels, it "pedals easier" than his old 26"-wheel MTB did.

Have you ever heard anyone say...
Forum: Techniques July 4th 18, 10:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 392
Posted By [email protected]
Making America into Amsterdam

I've cycled from Amsterdam to Paris and back several times, and the biggest problem I had with Dutch bike paths was that the signs would say the path went through to a certain town, but it did not,...
Forum: Techniques May 19th 18, 11:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By [email protected]
Today's ride

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/19/cougar-attack-in-washington-kills-1-biker-injures-another.html
Forum: Techniques March 8th 18, 02:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By [email protected]
No powder coating for aluminum?

"Yeah I could be very wrong too."

OMG Andrew, that's a heavy-duty breach of internet etiquette. No one EVER admits they're wrong on an internet forum!
Forum: Techniques February 4th 18, 09:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Are some of these old racers riding track bikes?

In this picture of the starting field of the 1947 Bob Brown road race on Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley, CA:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrnfqhjgu32qlfx/1947_Bob_Brown_Race.jpg?dl=0

Can you guys tell if...
Forum: Techniques January 17th 18, 02:49 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
1940's bicycle clothing

FWIW, here's the start of the 1947 Bob Brown road race on Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley, CA:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrnfqhjgu32qlfx/1947_Bob_Brown_Race.jpg?dl=0
Forum: Techniques January 9th 18, 04:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By [email protected]
flat (or dare I say it: hi-riser) bars on my old Paramount

I am such an old coot that I don't feel comfortable bending down over my drop bars anymore, and I never seem to ride down in the drops. So I am thinking I'd be better off with a moustache or North...
Forum: Techniques December 22nd 17, 04:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By [email protected]
Road Tires: Width vs Speed Penalties?

"take the horn out of your mouth."

"I like my cigars, too, but I take them out of my mouth once in awhile!" - Groucho Marx on his "You Bet Your Life" TV show.
Forum: Techniques December 5th 17, 10:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By [email protected]
Chain Reaction closes Los Altos store.

You're f****** nuts....All these places beat the **** out of Cameron Park.

Jay, you really don't know what you're talking about. As one who has lived in both places, I am here to attest to the fact...
Forum: Techniques November 24th 17, 04:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Spoking wheels

FWIW, a few years ago I was breaking rear spokes on the freewheel side, and the guys on here told me to check my spoke tension more carefully when I built the wheel (I had not been checking it...
Forum: Techniques November 22nd 17, 07:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By [email protected]
Spoking wheels

So John B., what method are you using to equalize the tension on all the spokes?
Forum: Techniques November 19th 17, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions of Gates Carbon Drive system?

Both the Pope automobile and the Pope bicycle were made and priced as rich men's toys, before cars and bikes became commodities. The Pope was a quality vehicle and was supposedly a lot more...
Forum: Techniques November 16th 17, 04:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By [email protected]
Opinions of Gates Carbon Drive system?

Sounds like the Gates Drive is a solution to a problem yet to be invented!
Andre Jute
"Because we could." isn't a reason, it's an excuse

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, Andre. So why are...