Showing results 1 to 25 of 223
Search took 2.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Rex Kerr
Forum: Techniques November 8th 09, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Rex Kerr
Downtube interference with cartridge BB

On Nov 6, 8:28*am, Hank wrote:
How about you use a proper french BB, now that they're available:

http://www.velo-orange.com/grcrufrthbob.html-Hide quoted text -

-...
Forum: Techniques November 8th 09, 11:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Rex Kerr
Downtube interference with cartridge BB

On Nov 6, 3:49*am, thirty-six wrote:
Cut the thread off your cartridge unit to length to match your bottom
bracket shell. *Use a file. *Scrape the threads in the shell...
Forum: Techniques November 8th 09, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Rex Kerr
Downtube interference with cartridge BB

On Nov 7, 1:39*pm, "
wrote:
One would think so, but then again:

http://www.velo-orange.com/grcrufrthbob.html

More threads than a random BB cup...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 09, 07:52 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Rex Kerr
Downtube interference with cartridge BB

On Nov 5, 7:05*pm, Rex Kerr wrote:
I recently purchased a french BB for my Peugeot and was installing it
when I found that the downtube protrudes into the BB shell such that
Forum: Techniques November 6th 09, 04:25 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Rex Kerr
Downtube interference with cartridge BB

On Nov 5, 7:07*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
I personally don't - but a Dremel may take a while, do you have a friend
with a die grinder?

I have an air powered one, 100 miles...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 09, 04:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Rex Kerr
Downtube interference with cartridge BB

I recently purchased a french BB for my Peugeot and was installing it
when I found that the downtube protrudes into the BB shell such that
the cartridge cannot be installed.

Does anybody see any...
Forum: Techniques October 23rd 09, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Rex Kerr
Largest Tire Size on 2005 Trek 520??

See if the LBS will let ya put them on just to see(not ride them).
Pictures worth lotz of words.

Yeah, the LBS said that I could do that, but I'd rather avoid the work
if possible. :-)
Forum: Techniques October 23rd 09, 01:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Rex Kerr
Largest Tire Size on 2005 Trek 520??

On Oct 22, 3:40*pm, landotter wrote:
On Oct 22, 5:27*pm, Rex Kerr wrote:

The Bontrager racelight hardcase tires that I have on my Trek 520 have
Forum: Techniques October 22nd 09, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Rex Kerr
Largest Tire Size on 2005 Trek 520??

The Bontrager racelight hardcase tires that I have on my Trek 520 have
gone 5300+ miles and after my last loaded tour are missing some fairly
large chunks of rubber. (BTW, they did almost all of...
Forum: Techniques July 14th 09, 07:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 78
Posted By Rex Kerr
Botranger Maverick Rim cracked?!?

While cleaning the rear wheel on my 2006 Trek 520 today I noticed a
number of 1 to 1.5 cm long cracks that are bisected by the spoke holes
and run parallel to the edges of the rim... about half of...
Forum: General April 7th 09, 12:21 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 65
Posted By Rex Kerr
If you know him, you should call... severely injured rider inSacramento area

I was just riding home a few minutes ago and came across a rider who
had fallen. He was riding on the American River bike trail between
Sunrise and Hazel. Late 30s/Early 40s, balding, riding an...
Forum: General March 15th 09, 07:21 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 9
Posted By Rex Kerr
Intriguing road find

As we all know, cyclists tend to find a lot of stuff along the road
while riding. I just had my all time most interesting road find
yesterday.

While riding home on my usual route, about five miles...
Forum: Techniques March 1st 09, 07:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Rex Kerr
Chainring alloy

Which alloy is better for chainrings, 2014 or 7075? I'm not as
interested in weight or shifting performance as I am in durability.

Thanks!
Forum: Techniques December 10th 08, 06:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Rex Kerr
"Professional" fit pet-peeve

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
For once, a non-rhetorical question: if you were designing a bike fit
system, what would you use as the reference point?

My guess is BB spindle,

I've always...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 08, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Rex Kerr
wind pants for tall riders?

Dave wrote:
Any of you tall guys have a recommendation for wind pants? My current
pair leaves a gap between the top of my booties and the bottom of the
pants; exposed skin can be kinda cold...
Forum: General November 19th 08, 03:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 11
Posted By Rex Kerr
Road Hazard! (this one was a first for me)

I was riding to the store the other day during lunchtime and was looking
over my left shoulder to prepare to move over to the left turn lane.
When I looked back the car that'd just passed me had...
Forum: General November 17th 08, 08:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 6
Posted By Rex Kerr
A visit to my LBS

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
I suppose I could have done it online--but I like my shop better.
They know me there, they know my bikes. And I like having them in
the neighborhood.

I like the...
Forum: General November 14th 08, 02:55 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 9
Posted By Rex Kerr
No More Mr. Nice Guy

DennisTheBald wrote:
I used to get as far left as I could so that right turners could
continue to make their right on red...
But a few months ago I had two incidents where a moron with a motor...
Forum: General September 23rd 08, 01:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 33
Posted By Rex Kerr
iPhone to the rescue!

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
My son & I did a ride around Lake Tahoe yesterday,[...]
[...]So I took out my silly iPhone, brought up the Google Maps[...]

I can't afford an iPhone (or, rather, choose...
Forum: General September 23rd 08, 01:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 33
Posted By Rex Kerr
iPhone to the rescue!

Tom Keats wrote:
thereby averting the need to seek out a pay phone with
a Yellow Pages dangling on a chain

When's the last time you saw one of those? Payphones are scarce enough
these days,...
Forum: General August 27th 08, 09:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 32
Posted By Rex Kerr
incident with bicyclist today

gpsman wrote:

State laws may differ regarding what constitutes a collision that must
be reported, or "hit and run".
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd10c1.htm

Yes, that's true... but...
Forum: General August 27th 08, 07:06 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 32
Posted By Rex Kerr
incident with bicyclist today

wrote:
In California, at least, I remember reading in the drivers' manual
that one is supposed to occupy the bike lane before turning right
(which is usually no longer...
Forum: General August 23rd 08, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 54
Posted By Rex Kerr
Saying Hi on the Bike Path

Wayne Brown wrote:
I take my cue from the other person. If he doesn't look at me, I respect
his apparent wish for privacy and do nothing. If he looks but in a
blank or abstracted way, I...
Forum: General August 22nd 08, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 54
Posted By Rex Kerr
Saying Hi on the Bike Path

Tom Sherman wrote:
I use my "ring-ding-ding-ding" bell a few seconds before I catch up. The
bell is automatically interpreted as "cyclist overtaking" by most
cyclists and many pedestrians....
Forum: Techniques August 20th 08, 11:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 194
Posted By Rex Kerr
Fork installation - How stupid is this hack?

Bret Wade wrote:
I have a steel Marin cross frame that I'm building up as a commute bike.
I bought an uncut 1" threadless steel fork on eBay only to find that the
steer tube was too short. So...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 223