Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John Dunlop[_2_]
Forum: General July 11th 17, 07:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.usage.english
Replies: 1,065
Posted By John Dunlop[_2_]
AG: Cleaning agent

Joy Beeson:

That explains why I say "big ring" and "small ring", but my internal
editor balks at "chainring".

Over here we sometimes say "granny ring" for the wee ring.

--
John
Forum: General July 10th 17, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.usage.english

Peter Duncanson [BrE]:

"chainwheel" is used by the British company Brompton Bicycle Ltd.

Indeed, a reputable firm, but still only one example.

It is used to refer to the whole "wheel" to which...
Forum: General July 9th 17, 12:14 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.usage.english
Replies: 1,065
Posted By John Dunlop[_2_]
AG: Cleaning agent

Richard Heathfield:

But when it's hammering down with rain and the traffic thunders past
you at 60 mph and your chain has wrapped itself around the spokes of
your rear wheel and you were...
Forum: General July 9th 17, 09:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.usage.english
Replies: 1,065
Posted By John Dunlop[_2_]
AG: Cleaning agent

Joy Beeson:

I'm tempted to cross-post this to alt.usage.english -- I dithered so
over whether to say "unshipped" "shipped" or "re-shipped". The
incident was unshipping, but it was shipping...
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4