Showing results 1 to 25 of 140
Search took 0.05 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: phil
Forum: Unicycling January 12th 09, 08:29 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 15
Posted By phil
Too many flats... here's one solution.

My muni has a tubeless tyre; I don't see me ever converting it back,
given the feel of the ride and the puncture resistance is much better. I
haven't converted my 29er yet but it's on the list. I use...
Forum: Unicycling January 12th 09, 01:03 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 235
Posted By phil
Pictures of your latest ride

I only kept the one of John's muni, but they were all...
Forum: Unicycling January 7th 09, 07:54 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 11
Posted By phil
Duro Wildlife Leapord tire pressure

If you run a big downhill tyre like the Duro in a tubeless setup you can
keep the same pressure to resist bottoming out and making it roll easily
while making it smoother over lumps and bumps...

--...
Forum: Unicycling December 24th 08, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 7
Posted By phil
Has anyone Stretched a 20" tube to fit a 24" wheel?

I've stretched a 20"x2" tube over a 24" muni rim in order to tubelessify
my muni; it was a bit of a tight fit, and I must confess to half
expecting it to go BANG as I inflated it to seat it properly....
Forum: Unicycling October 6th 08, 12:52 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 2
Posted By phil
Unicycle club or people in the Wolverhampton or Dudley area of West Midlands U.K.

Hi there,

I'm not far from you in Cannock, a couple of miles from Cannock Chase.
I mainly ride cross country and the like around the Chase; it's a great
spot for muni riding as there are easy trails...
Forum: Unicycling October 2nd 08, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 8
Posted By phil
Lights for night riding

Apparently Tesco are selling a 2xAA powered Cree LED light for a tenner
that's supposed to be quite good; you can rig up a helmet mount with an
old inner tube or velcro or something and bob's yer...
Forum: Unicycling September 26th 08, 02:49 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 85
Posted By phil
A warning on pipe-cutters

sp4rky-m4rky;1103242 wrote:
Fine for steel or cromo posts but grinders dont work so well on non
feris metals. The disks kind of clog and dont cut as well.

It's worked perfectly well on steel...
Forum: Unicycling September 26th 08, 01:59 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 85
Posted By phil
A warning on pipe-cutters

After a particularly cheesy batch of saw blades I invested in one of
these:

[image:
http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50254123/Angle_Grinder.jpg]

Quicker, easier, straighter, louder,...
Forum: Unicycling September 22nd 08, 12:52 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By phil
(UK): Peaks Muni Trip 2: Early Midlife Crisis 19th-21st September 2008

...and not forgetting Sam's entry for the "how far can I drop my
unicycle" award:

[image:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/philhimsworth/SNa0ZtBVGBI/AAAAAAAAEI4/kqB7BMYMwE0/s720/CIMG2572.JPG]

:)

Phil
Forum: Unicycling September 22nd 08, 12:50 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By phil
(UK): Peaks Muni Trip 2: Early Midlife Crisis 19th-21st September 2008

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend, I thought - well worth the creaking legs
and walking difficulties today!

What's currently making it seem even better is that it's raining here
at the moment - we had...
Forum: Unicycling September 18th 08, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By phil
(UK): Peaks Muni Trip 2: Early Midlife Crisis 19th-21st September 2008

Gadge wrote:
Write out 100 times - "real barbeques use charcoal - it's the future!"
;)

Yebbut this way I can be cooking things instantly rather than in four
hours, the heat lasts more than...
Forum: Unicycling September 18th 08, 07:06 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By phil
(UK): Peaks Muni Trip 2: Early Midlife Crisis 19th-21st September 2008

I'll bring our barbecue. It is from the future - it has no need of lowly
things like charcoal.

If I remember rightly last time Tue and I turned up well after dark but
still managed to get something...
Forum: Unicycling September 18th 08, 12:58 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By phil
(UK): Peaks Muni Trip 2: Early Midlife Crisis 19th-21st September 2008

I hope the act of asking won't break the weather, but:

...would anyone fancy a barbecue on Friday or Saturday evening?

Phil

--
phil
Forum: Unicycling September 12th 08, 10:59 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling

joemarshall wrote:

I use 'this stuff' (http://tinyurl.com/4ncqam) from Halfords

I've used some of that stuff on a few bikes, unicycles and the back of
my helmet; it is indeed silly bright....
Forum: Unicycling September 11th 08, 10:12 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 60
Posted By phil
1000km Charity ride across the Roof of the World to Everest

What?! Surely Joe's weekend would be a nice gentle wind-down before
setting off! I don't know, part-timers... :)

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little...
Forum: Unicycling September 8th 08, 12:09 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 9
Posted By phil
"Green Bean" camera at Best Buy--Any Opinions?

It could charge through the USB connection too, which would mean you
wouldn't need a separate charger. The charger for my cheap-as-chips
satnav exploded while we were on holiday, but as it can be...
Forum: Unicycling September 3rd 08, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 34
Posted By phil
Digital SLR Camera discussion thread

One thing to remember about using flash is that cycling clothes, bags,
helmets, pedals and whatnot often have reflective bits on them - mind
you don't end up with a nice picture spoiled by shiny...
Forum: Unicycling September 3rd 08, 12:23 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 34
Posted By phil
Digital SLR Camera discussion thread

I find the problem with photographing muni rides is that someone on a
unicycle is very tall and thin! It's difficult to get a picture where
the unicyclist fills the shot sufficiently, especially if...
Forum: Unicycling August 27th 08, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 2
Posted By phil
Tubeless muni tyres (part 2)

A few weeks ago I was ponderin' about converting my muni to a tubeless
tyre system, after being so impressed by how well it works on the
bikes. Today I finally got round to trying it...

I was half...
Forum: Unicycling August 22nd 08, 09:14 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 13
Posted By phil
Tubeless Nightrider!

Eroick wrote:

10) Inflate! This will require an air compressor. I tried many times
with a very good pump (Joe Blow Sport) but had no luck.

When I've converted bike tyres in this way I've...
Forum: Unicycling July 21st 08, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 0
Posted By phil
Tubeless muni tyres?

That sounds promising. I've just bought a 16" inner tube; assuming I've
got enough sealant left I'll see if it works!

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little...
Forum: Unicycling July 21st 08, 01:02 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 1
Posted By phil
Tubeless muni tyres?

It was partly Ken's posts that made me ask... I can see what he means
about tubeless cokers; I think it would be a superb upgrade for the
reliability and weight saving aspects of it. I've only been...
Forum: Unicycling July 20th 08, 08:02 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 1
Posted By phil
Tubeless muni tyres?

Recently I've converted both my bikes to use "poor man's" tubeless
tyres, using just a strip from a smaller inner tube as a rim strip and
some sealant. I think it's a noticeable improvement; when...
Forum: Unicycling April 7th 08, 03:11 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 7
Posted By phil
World's Steepest Streets

There's a street in Harlech, Wales, which is signposted as 1:2.5 (40%).
It's one way in the downwards direction however, so riding up it would
be a bit cheeky (although it's also signposted...
Forum: Unicycling March 4th 08, 12:42 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 23
Posted By phil
Mountain Mayhem 2008 (UK 24hr race)

If there are only three of you I don't think there's anything to stop
you racing, but your results won't "count" as your imaginary team
member won't have done any laps.

You might be able to find...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 140