Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
Search took 0.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: acl
Forum: Unicycling January 8th 09, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 13
Posted By acl
Looking for some Trial Unicyclist at Cambridge

I´ve just returned to Cambridge myself after being away for over a year,
so also keen to find out what´s happening now.

The community circus used to be pretty good sometimes if you were more
into...
Forum: Unicycling November 27th 08, 03:43 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 53
Posted By acl
KH / Schlumpf Geared 24" mountain unicycling

critter;1138737 wrote:
Didn't think of that. Because you're going fast on a smaller wheel? Like
a short board vs a long board on a wave?

Well, there may be something to that - you are...
Forum: Unicycling November 26th 08, 05:14 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 53
Posted By acl
KH / Schlumpf Geared 24" mountain unicycling

I recommend a geared 26"....I've built my (admittedly non-KH) schlumpf
into 24", 26" and 29" wheels so far, and that's the one I like the most.
Whilst the 29er clearly *would* take me further/faster,...
Forum: Unicycling August 29th 08, 03:38 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 10
Posted By acl
Specifications of your dream unicycle

Realistically, I just want something I can do some tricks on, jump up
and down stairs, go up and down steep single track, and knock off a
century all in one versatile machine.

I second...
Forum: Unicycling January 29th 08, 12:07 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 3
Posted By acl
Lightweight 29er

So I recently acquired a schlumpf 29er (the road/square-axle version,
'coz it was much cheaper!), and after a while trying (none too
successfully) to ride it with 125 cranks, I've now put 140s on it....
Forum: Unicycling December 19th 07, 06:22 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 4
Posted By acl
Cranks on my 29'er

I think the results may depend substantially on your choice of tyre (and
yes, intended usage!)...

Last year I was doing a lot of road riding on a 29er with a 2.35" Big
Apple tyre. I started with...
Forum: Unicycling November 29th 07, 12:50 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 9
Posted By acl
Getting commuter cranks double drilled?

Well, I have double-drilled cranks (on a 26er, but I hope that doesn't
make much difference), and yes, it's a lot easier than using a crank
puller etc. Nonetheless, it still takes me long enough to...
Forum: Unicycling November 14th 07, 09:22 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 32
Posted By acl
Schlumpf 36er Update

tholub wrote:
Here's Mike on the v54:

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but - is that the new KH/Schlumpf
hub? or a "standard" schlumpf? Specifically, does it have a reaction
arm, or a...
Forum: Unicycling July 20th 07, 09:21 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 19
Posted By acl
Best Long-Distance Street Unicycle

A 36" will be the best for long-distance riding. Period.

I've ridden long distances on a 29er, and it's manageable, but there's
no doubting that the 36" is better. However, 29ers have advantages...
Forum: Unicycling July 18th 07, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 11
Posted By acl
NY Times article due out tom'w!

So is the club meeting this month (July 2007)? The website says first
Sunday and third Saturday, whereas the NYT article says "every other
Sunday". Presumably the latter is a simplification of the...
Forum: Unicycling May 11th 07, 12:19 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 10
Posted By acl
Just learning to wheel-walk

Tips for doing it? sit tall.

Tips for learning?

- Patience. I reckon learning to WW (from being able to e.g. one-foot
idle) took as long as learning to ride the uni in the first place
- Get...
Forum: Unicycling November 13th 06, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 9
Posted By acl
Koxx Cranks - 135s vs 140s

I thought the major difference was one of Q-factor---the tubular cromo
135s put your pedals much wider apart than the solid aluminium ones
(140, 160, whatever). How much Q-factor you want is a matter...
Forum: Unicycling October 31st 06, 06:46 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 35
Posted By acl
1 foot wheel walk. need tips

I think my furthest is about 40 metres, at which point my leg starts to
get tired, and I'd suggest

- start from a wall; transitioning from one-foot-on-frame idling
isn't difficult once...
Forum: Unicycling July 19th 06, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 7
Posted By acl
Hybrid tyres?

GhettoSmurf wrote:
you should make it a 700 wheel and build it up with a simalar cross
type tire

Why do you say 700? One of the attractions of 26" is the *enormous*
choice of tyres,...
Forum: Unicycling July 19th 06, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 7
Posted By acl
Hybrid tyres?

johnfoss wrote:
My guess is that you'd get best results with your third link....But that
one might have the least-flat center section, which means it may tend
to pull to either side. The first...
Forum: Unicycling July 18th 06, 03:49 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 7
Posted By acl
Hybrid tyres?

Has anyone had any experience using "hybrid" tyres - smooth in the
middle, knobbly at the edges - on a uni? I'm looking to build a nimble,
cross-country and road-capable 26" uni, and am thinking of a...
Showing results 1 to 16 of 16