Showing results 1 to 25 of 151
Search took 0.39 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Bill
Forum: Techniques March 3rd 12, 06:21 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Bill
What's up with Clark's green brake pads for Campy?

So I bought some Clark's road brake pads on the 'net. They say they
are "compatible with all Campagnolo caliper brake systems", but they
sure as heck won't fit old-fashioned Campy calipers. They are...
Forum: Techniques October 31st 11, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Bill
Ever have problems getting your patches to stick to the tube?

thirty-six wrote: "So is it possible to bond a patch using heat
alone? After all the "sticky side" does have a foil covering alowing
one to use an alcohol flame directly upon it to preheat."

Yes,...
Forum: Techniques October 21st 11, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Bill
Ever have problems getting your patches to stick to the tube?

Yesterday I couldn't get them to stick. I roughed up the puncture with
sandpaper and used the Schwinn repair kit marketed by Pacific Cycle. I
did let the cement dry completely, and can't figure out...
Forum: General October 15th 11, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Bill
Pic of 1947 start of annual Bob Brown race in Berkeley, CA

The camera is pointed north on Shattuck Avenue. It's fairly high-
resolution, so you can enlarge it for the details pretty well:

http://www.directcon.net/retroguybilly/1947_Bob_Brown_Race.jpg
Forum: Techniques October 15th 11, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 57
Posted By Bill
Does this give me bragging rights?

Chalo wrote: "Most of the pedals I sell at my shop have flatted stops
that peel shavings off of the cranks when they are tightened."

Aren't you supposed to re-tap the cranks with the correct thread...
Forum: Techniques October 14th 11, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Bill
Chain Slips with new SRAM chain and "slightly used" Ultegra Cassette

If you ride the bike about 100 miles on the flats, the chain will most
likely start running on the cogs OK when climbing.
Forum: Techniques September 24th 11, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 57
Posted By Bill
Does this give me bragging rights?

thirty-six inquired: "It is an early 80's Campag record, isn't it?"

Mid-'80s Super Record.
Forum: Techniques September 22nd 11, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 57
Posted By Bill
Does this give me bragging rights?

I did get a little road rash out of it:

http://www.directcon.net/retroguybilly/crank.jpg

And let's not hear any Nattering Nabobs of Negativism say the only
reason I put so much stress on the crank...
Forum: Techniques September 5th 11, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Bill
Converting Dura Ace drivetrain from 8 speed to 10 speed

Right now the drive train on my road bike consists of a Dura Ace 7800
crankset, an Ultegra rear derailleur, Dura Ace STI shifters and an 8-
speed cassette.

Would you guys please be so kind as to...
Forum: Techniques September 3rd 11, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Bill
Preserving Sheldon's legacy

I think the best way to honor Sheldon's memory would be for everyone
to grow a long, scraggly beard that looks like a dog ****ed on it, and
never trim it.
Forum: General August 29th 11, 05:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 8
Posted By Bill
Driving is like Smoking

But Monkey, you aren't addressing the pertinent issue: if nobody else
is going to stop driving, why should I? I'm not a masochist, after
all! The amount of pollutants emitted by my cars is...
Forum: General August 11th 11, 02:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 2
Posted By Bill
Does the Near-Default signal the End of Democracy?

Wow, your thinking is really ****ed up, Monkey! It wasn't George W.
who stole the 2000 election; it was Algore who TRIED to steal it.
Remember, Algore was the one who filed suit in the Florida...
Forum: Techniques July 13th 11, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Bill
Unusual Cycling Hazard

"...my Dodge broke electrically so much they bought me a new Chevy"

I'll bet you let the bulkhead electrical connector on that Dodge get
all dirty and corroded. Chrysler uses quite a high-quality...
Forum: Techniques July 13th 11, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Bill
Unusual Cycling Hazard

"So much for Mopar quality."

"It's the axle retaining clip..."

Wrong. The Dodge dually uses a Dana 70 differential and axle assembly.
Did you ever see one? It's a really huge mofo with a 10-1/2"...
Forum: Techniques June 24th 11, 12:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
Posted By Bill
MORE OIL ! MORE MORE !

Thanks, Tom, for demonstrating more convincingly than I could ever
have done, that you are nothing but a kook conspiracy theorist.
Forum: Techniques June 24th 11, 03:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
Posted By Bill
MORE OIL ! MORE MORE !

"According to PNACish types, Bush's contrived military adventure in
Iraq was supposed to secure a healthy supply of cheap oil under US
control."

Wrong. There were two primary reasons why the U.S....
Forum: General May 28th 11, 08:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.politics.correct
Replies: 18
Posted By Bill
There's more to riding than being politically-correct

"Sheesh, get over yourself, already."

WTF? You're telling other people how to live their lives, and you want
ME to get over it? Wow, the smell of your own fresh farts in the
morning must be really...
Forum: General May 28th 11, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 18
Posted By Bill
There's more to riding than being politically-correct

(Sorry, hit the wrong key and posted before I was done)

On May 28, 9:49*am, Bill wrote:
Mike, with all due respect, I think you're making several typical smug
cyclist...
Forum: General May 28th 11, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 18
Posted By Bill
There's more to riding than being politically-correct

Mike, with all due respect, I think you're making several typical smug
cyclist assumptions.

I've been riding seriously for 40 years. I ride my bike a lot. The
point is, though, that I ride it...
Forum: General May 28th 11, 02:56 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Bill
Prius= "Clean Air Vehicle?" What are we then?

Smug alert! Smug alert!

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s10e02-smug-alert

(Substitute the word "bicycle" every time you hear the word "hybrid".)
Forum: General May 28th 11, 02:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 18
Posted By Bill
Price points: you've got to shop around

People may be riding public transport in New York, but around here
everybody drives. I'm certainly not going to limit my driving so long
as nobody else is doing so. That would really be shooting...
Forum: General May 26th 11, 06:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 18
Posted By Bill
Price points: you've got to shop around

"At 55 I'm beginning to become a bit more sensitive to what we're
doing to the planet and the bicycle's role in mitigating some of it."

I think it is rather meaningless for cyclists to ride their...
Forum: General May 25th 11, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 18
Posted By Bill
Price points: you've got to shop around

"Hopefully you were able to ride your bike to the various shops in
Sacramento and not drive a car while you're looking for something
cheaper. :-)"

Nope, I drove, of all things, my Mopar muscle car...
Forum: Techniques May 25th 11, 02:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Bill
700c rim recs

If you can find the Velocity Aerohead OCs as Andrew Muzi suggests, I'm
sure they would be the top choice. I've never used one, but have heard
a lot of good things about them. I couldn't find one...
Forum: Techniques May 25th 11, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Bill
Looking for an O ring for my Planet Bike Beamer 5 white LED light

Large O-ring assortments are very cheap:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=o+ring

Remember that they are made in both SAE and metric varieties.
Showing results 1 to 25 of 151