Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 1.54 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Leo Lichtman
Forum: Techniques November 6th 08, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 45
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Reflections after the election: Lacunae in the education of engineers

"Andre Jute" wrote:
Don't they teach engineers any history, Scarfie? (clip) The Roosevelt New
Deal policies were all foreshadowed by the relief policies of the Hoover
Administration....
Forum: Techniques November 1st 08, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 129
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Jobst Brandt wants your opinion (was Freewheels)!

wrote: (clip) If you can understand
where individual
parts fit in an exploded view, you must be clairvoyant. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Or perhaps have an...
Forum: General October 31st 08, 07:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 9
Posted By Leo Lichtman
saddle life

"Tom Keats" wrote: Nothing like a brisk ride to put a li'l colour
in your cheeks.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but which ones?
Forum: General October 30th 08, 11:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 9
Posted By Leo Lichtman
saddle life

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote: (clip) essentially non-wearing in the face of
padded lycra bike shorts. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Face?
Forum: General October 29th 08, 06:59 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 12
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Please don't ride wrong-way on the sidewalk.

"Luigi de Guzman" wrote: (clip) a cyclist, riding the wrong way on the
sidewalk, enters the
intersection. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is no *right* way to ride a bike on a sidewalk. We...
Forum: Techniques October 29th 08, 03:00 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Death wobble in front bars!

"Tom Sherman" wrote: I do not know, since I have not been rude enough to
ask. (Referring to poor families that can't affort to buy bicycles for
their chilodren.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tom, you have...
Forum: General October 24th 08, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 2
Posted By Leo Lichtman
OTBS

"Tom Sherman" wrote: ONLINE TALENT BOOKING SYSTEM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh. I thought it was "Off-topic bull slurry."
Forum: Techniques October 24th 08, 12:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Death wobble in front bars!

wrote: Only people who tried it too late
in life need to learn how to ride a
bicycle. From my experience, it is a natural control problem and a
pragmatic...
Forum: Techniques October 22nd 08, 06:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Death wobble in front bars!

"Michael Press" wrote: It is not the bicycle.
It is not the rider.
This is a system.
An illuminating model of the system can be built
from mechanical engineering. Mass, spring, dashpot.
Forum: Techniques October 22nd 08, 06:45 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Death wobble in front bars!

Even heavy motorcycles, including Harleys, sometimes shimmy.
Forum: Techniques October 21st 08, 10:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Death wobble in front bars!

" wrote: I see it in nursing homes
all the time. Some frames get skinnier as they get older :
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And they wobble, which further confirms...
Forum: Techniques October 21st 08, 05:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Death wobble in front bars!

"sergio" wrote: By repeatedly experiencing relativistic contractions, you
stupid
idiot. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So now I think I understand why Albert Einstein looks so worried in the...
Forum: Techniques October 21st 08, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 71
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Death wobble in front bars!

Keith Parker wrote: (clip) just recently it has developed a wobble in the
front end.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"jim beam" wrote: (clip) this is function
of that old frame having skinny main...
Forum: General October 20th 08, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Emergency single-speed forcing chain to larger sprocket

"Johan Bornman" wrote: (clip) In spite of the
chainline appearing to be straight, the chain would still force itself
onto the larger sprockets (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It can't be caused by...
Forum: General October 16th 08, 08:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 39
Posted By Leo Lichtman
United charging $350 r/t for bicycles

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote: For that price, on many routes, it could be
cheaper to buy a seat for
your bicycle and put it in the cabin.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Especially since the bicycle, ticketed as a...
Forum: General October 8th 08, 01:21 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 26
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Compensation options?

"Tom Sherman" wrote: (clip) The dog owner is morally responsible for
compensation. As for legal
options, many attorneys offer a free initial compensation. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tom, your...
Forum: General October 7th 08, 10:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 26
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Compensation options?

"PatTX" wrote: Bill, suing for what you are owed does
not make you a bad person. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You may not have to sue. This looks like an open-and-shut case...
Forum: Techniques October 3rd 08, 06:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Cateye Triple Shot battery charging problem.

"Garry Lee" wrote: (ckip) After a summer on the shelf the battery will
only charge for a few
minutes. Unplug and keep doing it. It will eventually fully charge.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ni-cad...
Forum: Techniques October 1st 08, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Leo Lichtman
A Bicycle Can Cut Friction in Half, called "Half Bicycle"

wrote: (clip) This means friction between
wheels and the ground is cut in half. In other words this bicycle only
needs half amount of human power to travel in same speed...
Forum: Techniques October 1st 08, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Chain ring remains stationary when cranking hard.

wrote: (clip) If I recall the chain ring (sprocket)
is alloy and the crank is
chromed steel thus unweldable? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Chromed steel is weldable. When...
Forum: General September 27th 08, 08:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Good driver report

"Tom Keats" wrote: (clip) But for the most part, life is
pretty good, and so are people. It doesn't hurt to be
reminded of that.

l'Chaim,
Tom
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you have that...
Forum: Techniques September 26th 08, 02:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 32
Posted By Leo Lichtman
When to change the seatpost ?

"agcou" wrote: Aluminum has no fatigue limit and should be replaced every
4-6 months. For
steel every 1 to 2 years and for carbon fiber seatposts every 4-6 years.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Does...
Forum: Techniques September 23rd 08, 06:35 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Handcuffs as bicycle lock

"Mike Rocket J Squirrel" wrote: Do what now?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Put the cuffs in a lock box?
Forum: General September 22nd 08, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 16
Posted By Leo Lichtman
Maybe it's safer to run red lights than to wait for green lights.

"Peter Cole" (clip) As a friend said when I complained about an oncoming
driver not using
their turn signals: "I wouldn't have believed them anyway". (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's kind of like...
Forum: General September 17th 08, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 33
Posted By Leo Lichtman
iPhone to the rescue!

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote (clip) Phone book? What's that??? Hey, they made
great sandwiches, (clip)
You must use LOTS of mustard and mayo. Mine came out too dry and chewey.
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500