Search: Posts made by: Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Forum: Techniques October 12th 18, 10:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I also think you could learn by reading
something more general, like this:
Forum: Techniques October 12th 18, 10:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I had in mind something like this:
Forum: Techniques October 12th 18, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
"torque wrench" pump/compressor

AMuzi wrote:

As a 10th grade dropout, I understand the
limits of an autodidact education.

When was the last time you were wrong about
a bike issue?

I mean a principle matter, not grabbing the...
Forum: Techniques October 12th 18, 10:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
"torque wrench" pump/compressor

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Well, I've mentioned that you might research
your questions before asking them and Frank
has even given you a list of books that might
enlighten you and now Sir has...
Forum: Techniques October 12th 18, 10:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
MTB 29*2.20 65 PSI

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Thank you!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Replies: 35
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
"torque wrench" pump/compressor

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

You need to understand that a lot of your
"questions" sound suspiciously like trolling.
Why not get a GOOD book on bicycle repair and
learn the proper basic terminology...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 18, 06:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
small plastic washers on wires

Mark J. wrote:

I'm guessing you mean a brake /cable/ runs
under your top tube. ("Cable" is the common
term for brake and derailleur-control wires.)

If the washers are soft and rubbery,...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 18, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
"torque wrench" pump/compressor

AMuzi wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is there a "torque
wrench" pump or compressor? I.e., you would
screw on the presta valve, set the gizmo to
e.g. 35psi, engage it, and instead of
Forum: Techniques October 11th 18, 08:07 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
small plastic washers on wires

On my racer, there is a wire under the
top tube. On this wire hangs three very small
plastic washers. Unless someone forgot to
remove them, the only thing I can think of is
they are there to prevent...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 18, 07:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
"torque wrench" pump/compressor

Just out of curiosity, is there a "torque
wrench" pump or compressor? I.e., you would
screw on the presta valve, set the gizmo to
e.g. 35psi, engage it, and instead of watching
the indicator,...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 18, 07:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
MTB 29*2.20 65 PSI

Roger Merriman wrote:

3 yes that’s the maximum pressure, unwise to
go beyond it really, though since most pumps
will give slightly different readings..

What I meant was, I understand if it...
Forum: Techniques October 11th 18, 07:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

Joerg wrote:

In the end it's all the same, whether you
call it zero plus some propelling or reduced
drag plus no propelling.

I'm sorry, what are drag and propelling in
this context?

--
Forum: Techniques October 11th 18, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Careful with acetone. It will attack some
paints and any plastics:
http://www.plasticsintl.com/plastics_chemical_resistence_chart.html
Click the "Acetone" check box...
Forum: Techniques October 10th 18, 11:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
MTB 29*2.20 65 PSI

Today I had the first flat tire with the
29*2.20 MTB. This presta valve stuff is
obviously alien to me at this point, but
I managed to make it full again.

1) Some people say you don't even need an
Forum: Techniques October 9th 18, 08:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

Joerg wrote:

Yes, it will increase the speed but it'll be
miniscule. By reducing the ratcheting effect
a tiny bit, not by propelling.

OK, so it doesn't! Why not?

But don't be stressed to...
Forum: Techniques October 9th 18, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

Joerg wrote:

It's a) and b). a) is as I explained above,
you'd be conteracting the ratcheting of the
freehub a ltlle bit but likely too small to
even measure.

b) is the lion's share....
Forum: Techniques October 9th 18, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm curious: Have you ever read a book on the
fundamentals of bicycling? There are several we
could recommend. They might answer many of the
questions you keep...
Forum: Techniques October 9th 18, 08:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

Joerg wrote:

It must be supported by muscles.
Otherwise you run a real risk of neck pain.
That is something I've heard road bike riders
complain about.

Great, this has been my intuition as...
Forum: Techniques October 9th 18, 08:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

Joerg wrote:

Head must be up. Else ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrKLGEOVRA

Head must be up but should it hang down like
into your body, or should it be "supported" up
by muscles? It...
Forum: Techniques October 9th 18, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Scott Scale 960 commuter/utility

When I went to the bike shop the other day and
asked for a kickstand, all guys laughed long
and loud and said no one EVER wants a kickstand
for this kind of bike. You are supposed to run
like a...
Forum: Techniques October 9th 18, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
road bike questions

1) When you ride a road bike, should your upper
back/neck section be "concave", i.e.
just hang on the shoulders, or should it be
"convex", like an arc from one shoulder
to another?

2) Is...
Forum: Techniques October 9th 18, 06:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
reflective tape

Today I put some white reflective tape front,
and some red rear, on a bike. Pointing a 38lm
flashlight at it from ~1.5m makes for a very
visible reaction.

The only downside was that the tape gave...
Forum: Techniques October 9th 18, 04:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 226
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

AMuzi wrote:

Some friendly advice, Frank. Don't go into
Marketing. Maybe try something like
Engineering maybe.

I think Frank should be a coach for a women's
football/soccer team. His...
Forum: Techniques October 8th 18, 10:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 226
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Nice. There's another difference. He had
years of experience, while you seem to be
limiting yourself to what you can learn from
a garage full of old bicycles and...
Forum: Techniques October 8th 18, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_2_]
Duomatic rims

AMuzi wrote:

The rim maker has no relationship to the hub
maker. Zero.

I mean: the *usage* of the Duomatic with the
constant gearing back and forth by pedaling
backward and then...