Showing results 1 to 25 of 94
Search took 0.81 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: TBerk
Forum: Techniques September 19th 10, 11:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By TBerk
Trigger Shifters for the Daily Ride

On Sep 11, 3:27*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
snip

[1] Per Sheldon Brown, you are allowed to spell it "derailer".

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Forum: Techniques July 19th 10, 04:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jul 16, 12:17*pm, yirgster wrote:

But I like to feel decadent.

Hence the 'utility' of say, Chocolate & Ice Cream.

I commute on my bike. I actually own a second...
Forum: Techniques June 16th 10, 11:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By TBerk
How silent is your bike?

Back in my childhood we used to use candle wax and though we were
pretty high tech.

TBerk
Forum: Techniques June 15th 10, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By TBerk
How silent is your bike?

As it turns out I have a very noisy bike at the moment. I am trying
to avoid putting plain bearing grease (or gasp WD-40!) on the chain.

Hell, I need a new chain.

But I'm looking to 'dry lube'...
Forum: Techniques June 10th 10, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By TBerk
Is TREK's web site down?

On Jun 10, 2:11*pm, Jobst Brandt wrote:
How's this for TREK:

*http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/

... especially riding on salt flats with no pedals and 16 spoke air
foil...
Forum: Techniques June 10th 10, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By TBerk
Is TREK's web site down?

On Jun 8, 10:23*pm, TBerk wrote:
I was looking to find out more on the bike I had seen over the weekend
but the site, and this further link;

Forum: Techniques June 9th 10, 06:23 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By TBerk
Is TREK's web site down?

I was looking to find out more on the bike I had seen over the weekend
but the site, and this further link;

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/

don't load on my system.

Perhaps it's a...
Forum: Techniques April 15th 10, 10:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 90
Posted By TBerk
good helmet-mounted mirror?

Fraaaaaank!

(a bow in your general direction...)

Great build.

berk
Forum: Techniques April 15th 10, 10:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 90
Posted By TBerk
good helmet-mounted mirror?

On Apr 14, 8:58*pm, SMS wrote:
On 14/04/10 8:29 PM, Mike Elliott wrote:

I've tried bar-end mounted mirror but they don't give a good view of
approaching giant...
Forum: Techniques March 8th 10, 06:49 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By TBerk
Creeping seatpost

On Mar 4, 9:07*pm, " wrote:

I can only repeat that I am a plumber.

Where, in general? I think the two mentions of a generational and
geographical...
Forum: Techniques March 8th 10, 06:39 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By TBerk
Creeping seatpost

Jobst Brandt wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:

Well, plumbers tape (ain't tape) is thick steel.

Geez, Jobst, for a humorless pedant you sure are funny sometimes.

A) It's plumber's tape...
Forum: Techniques February 27th 10, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 30
Posted By TBerk
Goggles

Yep, not Google, but Goggles. I was thinking about all the wind that
whips around my glasses while riding, the tearing the dry eyes, etc.

Besides I was also thinking of the bouncing and potential...
Forum: Techniques February 25th 10, 06:58 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 74
Posted By TBerk
Flashing lights cause accidents -- police experience

Before I read the rest of the thread I want to preface my reply with
"I was just going to post a quick one to ask folks to stop flashing
bright white headlights.".

I predicted resistance and claims...
Forum: Techniques February 20th 10, 10:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By TBerk
What type of Crank Bearings set did the guy install?

On Feb 20, 2:20*pm, AMuzi wrote:
TBerk wrote:
I had grinding crank bearings and the local bike shop mech I was
talking to sold me on replacing them with a low cost...
Forum: Techniques February 20th 10, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By TBerk
What type of Crank Bearings set did the guy install?

I had grinding crank bearings and the local bike shop mech I was
talking to sold me on replacing them with a low cost option; $35 if I
recall correctly.

As it is Spring time (well, the trees think...
Forum: Techniques February 10th 10, 09:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By TBerk
SetBack From Hell: Tall Guy's Workaround

Given that you already have your body weight on the thing, why did you
attach that kind of 'rack' to it?

A conventional rack would be called for, wouldn't it, esp on a 'hard
tailed' bike such as...
Forum: Techniques January 14th 10, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 88
Posted By TBerk
Copenhagen Wheel - Anybody actually try one yet?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27083_3-10417864-247.html

http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7y3qIQu3Gc

it's supposed to bring Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards...
Forum: Techniques January 12th 10, 02:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By TBerk
Anyone doing anything current with Three Wheelers?

I find them curious but have never had my hands on one for too long.

I esp like the potential (light duty) hauling capabilities and the
possibilities for augmented power (batteries, internal...
Forum: Techniques December 5th 09, 04:42 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By TBerk
Is cycling really carbon-efficient?

On Nov 27, 11:03*am, Norman wrote:

... a TDI Golf...

Taken out of context but that's the point; I read your description as;
"a (VW) Golf TDI" .

A decent choice,...
Forum: Techniques May 8th 09, 03:58 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By TBerk
Drag force

So, with all the math being thrown around and talk of drag and all I
pose the question;

Are fairings practical additions to a road bike? (I'm thinking along
the lines of 'nose cone' & 'tali cone'...
Forum: General April 15th 09, 02:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 65
Posted By TBerk
If you know him, you should call... severely injured rider inSacramento area

On Apr 13, 10:35*am, Peter Cole wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
OK, just so it's clear, in case somehow it isn't, the reason for
carrying ID etc., isn't...
Forum: Techniques March 31st 09, 08:30 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 33
Posted By TBerk
effect of tire width on rolling resistance

On Mar 30, 12:37*pm, Tom Reingold wrote:
I remember Jobst saying that rolling resistance decreases with tire
width UNTIL you reach 28mm, and thereafter, rolling resistance...
Forum: Techniques March 27th 09, 07:07 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By TBerk
Spotted a very unusual Bike

In Palo Alto Ca, near the local Fry's Electronics store was a familt
out biking around. Most were on what looked like convetional bikes but
Dad and a young girl were on a custome job-

Pops drove...
Forum: Techniques March 21st 09, 05:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By TBerk
from MAKE magazine: Bike Contrails

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/03/bike_accessory_leaves_a_trail_of_ch.html

Contrail is a device that applies chalk to the rear tire of your bike,
leaving a trail behind you. It leaves trails...
Forum: Techniques March 13th 09, 08:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By TBerk
What good does a 'horn' do for a traditional bike seat?

Thoughtful input, to you and some others- thank you.

TBerk
Showing results 1 to 25 of 94