Search: Posts made by: James[_8_]
Forum: Techniques Yesterday, 10:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By James[_8_]
Rear derailleur help

On 18/09/18 23:58, AMuzi wrote:

Yes, that's right.
In practice, a drop of Blue on a screw will set in a few hours once the
threads are engaged (anaerobic). Alternately for a simple...
Forum: Techniques September 13th 18, 10:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By James[_8_]
Slow down rusting of chain

On 14/09/18 03:36, Andy wrote:
On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 6:03:55 AM UTC-5, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Andy wrote:
On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 2:59:58 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Forum: Techniques September 12th 18, 11:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By James[_8_]
Well lubed jockey wheels

On 13/09/18 07:55, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 2:25:08 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 12/09/18 12:34, jbeattie wrote:

Dude, these are the ONLY pulley wheels you will ever...
Forum: Techniques September 12th 18, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By James[_8_]
Slow down rusting of chain

On 2018-09-11 10:20, Andy wrote:
I have been using a silicone spray on my chain, but it isn't long
before it rusts.

Anything better?

What about...
Forum: Techniques September 12th 18, 10:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By James[_8_]
Slow down rusting of chain

On 12/09/18 10:25, Ralph Barone wrote:

I tried bacon grease and paraffin, but it kept attracting bears.

Maybe that is what Joerg uses?

--
JS
Forum: Techniques September 12th 18, 10:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 13/09/18 05:50, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 12:54:54 AM UTC+2, James wrote:
I recently got annoyed by the propensity for my jockey wheels to
run out of...
Forum: Techniques September 12th 18, 10:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By James[_8_]
Well lubed jockey wheels

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 3:54:54 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
I recently got annoyed by the propensity for my jockey wheels to run out
of lube. The...
Forum: Techniques September 11th 18, 11:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By James[_8_]
Well lubed jockey wheels

I recently got annoyed by the propensity for my jockey wheels to run out
of lube. The trouble I suspect is that it is difficult to adequately
lubricate them during assembly, so I made it possible...
Forum: Techniques September 11th 18, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 54
Posted By James[_8_]
THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW ?(IN THE UNITED STATESOF AMERICA)

On 11/09/18 14:29, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:11:48 +1000, James
wrote:

On 11/09/18 10:34, Andre Jute wrote:

About separate...
Forum: Techniques September 11th 18, 10:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By James[_8_]
Slow down rusting of chain

On 12/09/18 03:20, Andy wrote:
I have been using a silicone spray on my chain, but it isn't long before it rusts.

Anything better?

What about about Squirt Long Lasting Dry Chain Lube ?
Forum: Techniques September 11th 18, 05:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 54
Posted By James[_8_]
THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW
(IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

On 11/09/18 10:34, Andre Jute wrote:

About separate facilities for cyclists: where are the votes in it?
Even less likely is votes for making automobiling less convenient in
favour of...
Forum: Techniques September 10th 18, 06:09 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 54
Posted By James[_8_]
THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW
(IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

IF mandatory helmets law could save those lives, but it puts off a large
portion of the cycling public from cycling at all (50% of school aged
teens stopped riding with the introduction of the...
Forum: Techniques August 27th 18, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By James[_8_]
Tubeless Revisited

On 28/08/18 06:02, wrote:
Did a nice ride yesterday. Did a 1000 foot climb and then was riding
along Foothill towards the town of Sunol when riding under the shade
of a tree...
Forum: Techniques August 17th 18, 03:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 165
Posted By James[_8_]
Flat repair

On 17/08/18 07:50, wrote:

Well, I can't argue that people want to ride what they want to ride.
I just find it curious that they complain about flats and then won't
change...
Forum: Techniques August 10th 18, 09:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By James[_8_]
Single Rear Gear with Double Chainring and shifters

On 09/08/18 05:39, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/8/2018 5:48 AM, Max Nosugar wrote:
Hello Guys,

I have set up a time trial bike single gear its very fast 50t
chainring and 14t rear. However, the...
Forum: Techniques August 10th 18, 09:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 29
Posted By James[_8_]
Single Rear Gear with Double Chainring and shifters

On 08/08/18 23:40, Max Nosugar wrote:
I totally agree with you mate, thanks very much! I think it would all depend on one's strength. I usually go uphill with a fixie coz I had no choice..lol

Forum: Techniques August 1st 18, 04:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By James[_8_]
Tubeless Tires

On 01/08/18 12:32, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2018 11:00 AM, wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 5:02:58 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/27/2018 7:36 PM, Frank...
Forum: Techniques July 25th 18, 11:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 144
Posted By James[_8_]
drill/tap in frames

On 26/07/18 04:19, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi writes:

Today I finally spent some quality time on my own
bike again, and I put on the plastic Zefal bottle
cage...
Forum: Techniques July 23rd 18, 10:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 86
Posted By James[_8_]
question about climbing

On 23/07/18 17:30, wrote:

Agreed. It was of course a joke that you are not allowed to stop
during a climb. I don't but that is just me. This years I start using
a...
Forum: Techniques July 23rd 18, 05:39 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 86
Posted By James[_8_]
question about climbing

On 23/07/18 04:33, wrote:
I live in the flatlands and not a great climber but pretty solid
rider. I have done some climbs according to various categories that
are 3 and 4...
Forum: Techniques July 18th 18, 11:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By James[_8_]
Marginal gains

On 18/07/18 18:34, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 8:23:56 AM UTC+2, James wrote:
I have three generations of shoes at the moment. I just bought a new
pair...
Forum: Techniques July 18th 18, 07:23 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By James[_8_]
Marginal gains

I have three generations of shoes at the moment. I just bought a new
pair because the pair I was using have started to fall apart. I'm
slowly ripping the upper from the sole.

All three pairs are...
Forum: Techniques July 18th 18, 06:42 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 144
Posted By James[_8_]
drill/tap in frames

On 16/07/18 01:06, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/14/2018 10:20 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

:Some builders at the cusp of change between 'no brazed bits'
:and...
Forum: Techniques July 14th 18, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 144
Posted By James[_8_]
drill/tap in frames

On 13/07/18 15:30, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 00:10:02 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

James wrote:

Then you should definitely not just drill
and...
Forum: Techniques July 14th 18, 04:24 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 144
Posted By James[_8_]
drill/tap in frames

On 14/07/18 00:41, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. Slocomb wrote:

And the mid-bottom part of the down tube?
The screws are interchangeable in size
and length.

Well that depends....