Search: Posts made by: Joy Beeson
Forum: General October 15th 18, 10:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Joy Beeson
Changing of the season

Today is washday, and my weight-lifting gloves are in the second load.
From last week until April or May I'll wear the plastic bicycle gloves
that fit under fuzzy gloves, and I like things to be...
Forum: General October 14th 18, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 862
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Two farmers' markets and a craft show

At last! Today's ride gave me not one, but *two* ideas! I'll
extravagantly use up both in one post.

The main street in town is lined with parked cars, but between the
Cerulean and the post office,...
Forum: Techniques October 10th 18, 12:45 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Joy Beeson
road bike questions

On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 11:55:54 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrKLGEOVRA

OMC! That guy isn't wearing a helmet!

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly...
Forum: General October 7th 18, 03:31 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc

No ideas harvested on today's ride.

Lousy day for a ride, but I was eager to buy onions -- and desperate
to buy a pair of sunglasses.

The weather started looking a little better when I packed away...
Forum: Techniques October 6th 18, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Joy Beeson
Chicago: Minus one cyclist

On Thu, 04 Oct 2018 14:48:37 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

I can imagine that new technology
will be used as a justification for allowing physical signs to fall into
Forum: General October 4th 18, 03:45 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Joy Beeson
Fall

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 22:32:22 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Getting out
of long-sleeved undershirts may not be as easy.

Turned out that I needed out of that shirt before...
Forum: General October 3rd 18, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Joy Beeson
Fall

Remarkable: fit riding weather tomorrow, and nothing I have to do
instead.

I washed my do-rag and put it away for the winter the washday before
last. While preparing my bike for tomorrow, I dug...
Forum: General September 29th 18, 04:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Joy Beeson
Bike traffic

It says in my notes, which I'm transcribing to clean up my notebook
for tomorrow's ride, that on Saturday, the fifteenth of September of
2018, I arrived at the library to find my preferred parking...
Forum: Techniques September 28th 18, 02:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 49
Posted By Joy Beeson
Interbike 2018 Report

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 10:52:11 -0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

I can’t imagine beer, bread and cheese in the middle of a ride.

A Panda Express "Kid's Meal" goes very well. But I...
Forum: Techniques September 27th 18, 03:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By Joy Beeson
BBC: Children to be banned from cycling to school without number plates

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 14:48:45 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

Case hardened chain if
you didn't mind the weight.

Late last century, the fence in front of the library at the...
Forum: General September 25th 18, 04:16 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 862
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: pickup trucks

Sunday, 23 September, 2018:

The car we acquired yesterday has a trunk that is easy to put my
walker into, if the back seats are down. I'm not sure that I can put
the walker into it on days when I...
Forum: Techniques September 18th 18, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Joy Beeson
Adjustable rubber rack straps, where to buy?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 00:27:20 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Grant Peterson recently publicized an interesting trick. In his example,
the delicate cargo was an expensive...
Forum: General September 16th 18, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 862
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: pickup trucks

Once upon a time I happened to mention somewhere on Usenet that
getting rid of one of our two internal-combustion vehicles would
increase our carbon footprint, because we can do car things with...
Forum: Techniques September 15th 18, 03:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Joy Beeson
Well lubed jockey wheels

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 15:23:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://78.media.tumblr.com/b594569c743afced078b0dd92b019ee9/tumblr_o02eijt7yB1qdw1kro1_1280.jpg

When I lived...
Forum: Techniques September 13th 18, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Joy Beeson
Well lubed jockey wheels

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 07:21:36 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

The reference shows three rather obese women. Homeless but well
nourished.

Amply, but not well.

--
Joy Beeson
Forum: Techniques September 13th 18, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 00:25:59 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

I tried bacon grease and paraffin, but it kept attracting bears.

Bacon grease is soft even when it's chilled. ...
Forum: Techniques September 12th 18, 03:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 203
Posted By Joy Beeson
Bus racks

I find that if I absent-mindedly bend over, I'll usually get away with
it if I bend my knees before straightening up.

But today, I got such a sharp twinge while setting a mug on a low cart
that...
Forum: General September 10th 18, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 862
Posted By Joy Beeson
oops AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Whoosh! After realizing that I'd said "fig bar" where I meant
"fruit-and-grain bar" -- they are very similar, but the
fruit-and-grain bar is equal to two or three fig bars -- I meant to
post a...
Forum: General September 9th 18, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 862
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

No time to write this week, so here's a ride report.

Weather Underground said there was a reasonable chance that I wouldn't
get rained on if I got home by twelve.

The weather has suddenly changed...
Forum: Techniques September 8th 18, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 96
Posted By Joy Beeson
Who is a real cyclist ?

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 11:03:27 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

But it's still considered very unusual.

When I lived in New York State, my friends finally stopped freaking
out...
Forum: Techniques September 4th 18, 04:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 96
Posted By Joy Beeson
Who is a real cyclist ?

On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 18:15:59 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

And yes, on my morning commute, I do keep up with vehicle traffic. A person in a wheel chair could keep up with...
Forum: General September 2nd 18, 04:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 862
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Face grease

Went to the farmer's markets today; didn't write anything, but this
scrap from the unfinished-drafts folder will be in season soon:

Getting ready to go for groceries this afternoon, I...
Forum: General August 26th 18, 04:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 862
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: expired note

Huh? It's Saturday! Didn't feel like it; I spent the whole day
grumping inside because of the pouring rain. No, I won't melt, but
grumping around the house is more fun than riding in a...
Forum: General August 23rd 18, 03:58 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 862
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: Yesterday's News

I nearly always read the paper the following day, because the
e-edition gives access only to the archives and I need a magnifier to
read the paper version. (I have an appointment to do something...
Forum: General August 19th 18, 02:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 862
Posted By Joy Beeson
AG: If you can't miss it

I'm sure I've said this before, but there might conceivably be a new
reader out there.

If you can't miss it, hit it square. A bump that you hit at right
angles is much less likely to steer the bike...