Search: Posts made by: Chalo
Forum: Techniques October 9th 19, 03:30 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By Chalo
Mechanical Failure?

jbeattie wrote:
Frank and Andrew can check me on this, but the reason the bolts back out
has nothing to do with the direction of the crank rotation but
rather has to do with the application...
Forum: Techniques October 4th 19, 09:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Chalo
Shipping of Bicycle Framesets

I just got a Shipbikes online quote for shipping a frame-sized box (42" x 27" x 7") with a weight of 25 lbs. from Boston to San Diego. It was $58.
Forum: Techniques October 3rd 19, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Chalo
Shipping of Bicycle Framesets

At the bike shop where I work, we only ever use Bikeflights or Shipbikes anymore. It's contracted to the usual parcel services, but the cost is a small fraction as much. In most cases, we can have...
Forum: Techniques October 2nd 19, 06:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 76
Posted By Chalo
John Forester Speaks

I don't want special bike-specific infrastructure. I want the cars gone, restricted to special motorsports facilities during limited hours and with extremely heavy taxation to help mitigate their...
Forum: Techniques September 26th 19, 07:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 30
Posted By Chalo
Drop Bar Hydraulic Disk

AMuzi wrote:

Cable to hydraulic can be done with elegance if that's what
he wants:
http://www.yokozunausa.com/ulrodibrimo.html

My limited experience with those is that they're unreliable...
Forum: Techniques September 24th 19, 07:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Chalo
Magic Pills

Perhaps your demonic possession is interfering with the drug?
Forum: Techniques September 21st 19, 11:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By Chalo
cycling in Chicago

When I saw they had named their suspect "Michael Blackman", I felt they were working their angle a bit too hard.
Forum: Techniques September 21st 19, 07:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By Chalo
Article about SRAM in Forbes

Frank Krygowski wrote:

jbeattie wrote:

My feet are also killing me, and I'm going to start a thread one day
on insoles, metatarsal pads and foot issues. That's my next round of...
Forum: Techniques September 21st 19, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By Chalo
cycling in Chicago

https://wgntv.com/2019/09/21/chicago-police-officer-shot-on-south-side-officials/

The really important details have been omitted so far, though. What kind of bike was he riding? Was it...
Forum: Techniques September 15th 19, 08:31 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By Chalo
Article about SRAM in Forbes

They came up with one crappy product that ruined countless bikes, and then they used borrowed money to buy up a bunch of more serious manufacturers and make those products crappier.

I'm not as...
Forum: Techniques September 14th 19, 06:37 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 44
Posted By Chalo
Sirect Mount Brakes?

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I think driving a car competently is at the top limit of human
capability. Everyone thinks they can do it, but very few can do it well.

Nobody can do it so well that...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 19, 09:07 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Chalo
Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

John B. fails to understand ethics.
Forum: Techniques September 9th 19, 07:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 43
Posted By Chalo
Problems with upper gears

6 speed freewheel and 8 speed shifter/derailleur are never compatible. 7 and 8 speed are compatible with Campagnolo parts, but for the love of God don't do that.

7 speed Shimano pattern freewheel...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 19, 07:30 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Chalo
Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

John B. wrote:

"California Highway Patrol data from 2012 show there were 5,090
collisions
in LA County that year involving bikes and cars. In 2,759
of those cases, the CHP determined the...
Forum: Techniques September 9th 19, 07:21 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 75
Posted By Chalo
Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

Joerg wrote:

Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow tires
the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it. Harumph,
grumble. Why on earth ... well,...
Forum: Techniques September 6th 19, 06:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Chalo
No bearing = no bearing problems

Tom Kunich wrote:

Chalo, What do you call those crank standards that fit the
press-in bearings BBs? They are narrower than the 386.

There are too many Johnny-come-lately nonstandard BB...
Forum: Techniques September 5th 19, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Chalo
No bearing = no bearing problems

David Scheidt wrote:

I have not noticed that quality and price are well correlated in the
pedal market.

That's true. However, it seems that cheap (sub-$30 retail) pedals use loose ball,...
Forum: Techniques September 5th 19, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Chalo
No bearing = no bearing problems

David Scheidt wrote:

jbeattie wrote:

:There are bearings, but they're encased in magical plastic stuff. I was thinking someone came up with a bushing BB.

They're not unheard of on...
Forum: Techniques September 4th 19, 09:16 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Chalo
Possible to get a low spot out of a TUBULAR tire?

John B. wrote:
Maybe like them old guys riding those pedal bikes things when e-bikes
are just so much better - carry more, go faster, etc. :-)

Sure, I can get on board with that thinking. ...
Forum: Techniques September 4th 19, 08:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Chalo
Possible to get a low spot out of a TUBULAR tire?

AMuzi wrote:

Road tubulars are so cheap now I don't cry over them.

Any sewup tire these days is such egregious folly that it makes me want to cry. Might as well take the Angry Samoans'...
Forum: Techniques September 2nd 19, 04:55 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By Chalo
28 mph e-bikes

The problem isn't e-bikers going 28mph. It's *anyone* going 28mph in a real city. I think 20mph inside city limits (under pain of death) is plenty fast enough where there are humans and other...
Forum: Techniques August 25th 19, 10:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 65
Posted By Chalo
WTB Suntour CYCLONE BB Spindle

Tom Kunich wrote:

Out of curiosity - why would you use an old and not very efficient
way to do things then you could buy a normal cartridge BB that will
last you the rest of your life...
Forum: Techniques August 23rd 19, 09:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Chalo
internal wrenching bolt

jbeattie wrote:

Note that stem bolts also come in a conical configuration, too.
https://tinyurl.com/yxo9pvyb

To Tom, that makes them "internal wrenching bolts", despite the fact that they...
Forum: Techniques August 22nd 19, 06:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Chalo
internal wrenching bolt

AMuzi wrote:

Tom has a point in that most linear ("V") brake anchors do
not
have cylindrical heads and actually do look more like an
'internal
wrenching bolt':

Tom misses the...
Forum: Techniques August 21st 19, 08:17 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 93
Posted By Chalo
Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Nope. The "NAS" number has changed but the same old bolt is still
available. A NAS 147-53 is now called a MS25007-40

The AN- Army Navy specification series...