Search: Posts made by: Ned Mantei[_2_]
Forum: Techniques June 18th 18, 06:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 86
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Helmet News

On 18-06-18 04:11, Frank Krygowski wrote:
In reality, brain injury while bicycling is very rare. It's more common
while traveling as a pedestrian. And helmets have not caused any
significant...
Forum: Techniques February 27th 18, 09:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 66
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
The lone 26er in a forest full of 29ers and 27.5ers

On 26-02-18 21:34, Joerg wrote:
My experience is the opposite. Horses leave their poop all over but that
ain't so bad.

I agree. Horse droppings dry quickly, leaving only something like hay...
Forum: Techniques February 25th 18, 10:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
v-brakes

On 25-02-18 00:07, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Here are a couple of pics to facilitate the
discussion:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/brake/

I've heard that

1) the long...
Forum: Techniques February 18th 18, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
muck on chainring/sprocket on 1SP/internal gear hub bikes

On 18-02-18 01:26, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Almost always there is a pattern of dirt, like
the "negative" of the chain, on the
chainring/sprocket. This is often very loose,
a wood stick and then...
Forum: Techniques January 28th 18, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
bike shedding most boring trend

On 28-01-18 06:35, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And I agree with the concept. As I've mentioned before, we were staying
with (new) friends in Zurich, and they took us on a walking tour of the
Forum: Techniques January 1st 18, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
postcard

On 01-01-18 16:06, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/1/2018 1:11 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
avagadro wrote:

Forum: Techniques November 27th 17, 07:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 81
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Bike Share graveyard

On 2017-11-25 06:57, wrote:

Forum: Techniques November 26th 17, 01:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 81
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Bike Share graveyard

On 2017-11-25 06:57, wrote:

Forum: Techniques November 23rd 17, 07:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Spoking wheels

On 23-11-17 16:36, Frank Krygowski wrote:

About thicker spokes: I do believe that butted spokes (thinner in the
middle) make stronger wheels.

In his book "The Bicycle Wheel" Jobst Brandt...
Forum: Techniques November 16th 17, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 67
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Discs

On 16-11-17 14:43, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/16/2017 12:47 AM, Tosspot wrote:
Why do they have holes in them?

Car discs don't, motorbike discs don't, aircraft discs
don't.* Why do bicycle...
Forum: Techniques September 17th 17, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 55
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

On 17-09-17 16:54, Joerg wrote:
Thinking about doing rides farther away without carting the bike there
in my car. Or riding out farther and using a bus for some of the way
back. Buses out...
Forum: Techniques September 10th 17, 12:24 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 251
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Road Discs

On 10-09-17 00:28, jbeattie wrote:
So, my SuperSix was crushed in a roof-rack accident and last weak my Roubaix was stolen out of the garage that I left open all night. I've done that many times...
Forum: Techniques August 20th 17, 07:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 164
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Octalink ES25 replacement?

On 20-08-17 16:19, Joerg wrote:
No argument there. If I needed a new bike and one with shaft drive was
available I'd certainly prefer that over chain-driven. There are many
reasons why BMW...
Forum: Techniques August 20th 17, 09:53 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Towing carbon-frame bicycles?

On 19-08-17 22:15, jbeattie wrote:
Wow, is the tow rope in the pannier pocket next to the heart-lung machine, or is that in another pannier? I carry a full selection of shop tools, derailleur...
Forum: Techniques August 8th 17, 03:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 59
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Speaking of Brakes

On 07-08-17 23:07, Ian Field wrote:
My rear brake broke a couple of years ago and I never got around to
fixing it. On motorcycles; I have to service the rear brake more often
because it...
Forum: Techniques August 7th 17, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Integrate Shimano Tourney V-brake/shifters trouble shifting.

On 07-08-17 20:23, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/7/2017 12:56 PM, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 07-08-17 00:05, AMuzi wrote:
There are various years/models but generally lift the
plastic cover plate by...
Forum: Techniques August 7th 17, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 07-08-17 00:05, AMuzi wrote:
There are various years/models but generally lift the plastic cover
plate by removing three very small screws. Sounds as if your lever
doesn't go all the way...
Forum: Techniques July 16th 17, 10:59 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Hazard on the roads and trails for bicyclists

On 16-07-17 05:21, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
A number oftimes in the last couple of months I've noticed extremely dangerous riding by these newfangled electric scooter/bike riders. In our area these are...
Forum: Techniques July 16th 17, 10:21 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
What makes soft tires creep on rims?

On 15-07-17 18:03, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:28:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Jeff, the exact same thing will happen if you use the
locking screw on the...
Forum: Techniques June 28th 17, 08:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Grizzly vs. roadie

On 28-06-17 01:26, Joerg wrote:
On my rides through the boonies I am less concerned about mountain lions
but more about bulls. They are out there grazing. If one of those gets
p....d off by...
Forum: Techniques June 20th 17, 07:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Electrolytes

On 20-06-17 18:00, wrote:
I have rather a serious problem. When I ride I usually eat and drink nothing more than a pastry and a cup of coffee. The results of this are that I get...
Forum: Techniques June 13th 17, 07:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 19
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Change in design of SRAM "powerlink"?

A year or so ago I installed a new SRAM PC71 9-speed chain, and found
that the "powerlink" didn't easily slip to the closed position as they
had always done previously. I assumed that this was a...
Forum: Techniques June 3rd 17, 11:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 159
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
hydraulic oil

On 02-06-17 21:33, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 9:28:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 6:34:09 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
The other day I...
Forum: Techniques May 26th 17, 08:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 44
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Noticeable difference on steep hill 20.3 vs 25.3 gear inches?

On 2017-05-24 15:46, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 07:06:22 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
On Wednesday,...
Forum: Techniques April 21st 17, 06:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By Ned Mantei[_2_]
Blowing tube descending

On 21-04-17 17:12, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 10:23:43 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Snipped
And I do not think that going too slow is a problem. Going too fast and...