Old March 20th 17, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default The University of Aalborg Study on Daytime Flashing Lights for Bicycles.

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 16:54:07 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 3/19/2017 4:02 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Do it thyself flashing tail light:
https://dr2chase.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/lights-for-a-beater-bike/

I read 'lights for beater'. Twice. Then did a page search
for coil, magnet, dynamo and battery. Found nothing. What
powers the lights?

The top photo of the bicycle shows a hub dynamo on the front wheel.
Directly under the photo is:
"Note that there’s no off switch and no way to disconnect
anything but the hub without wire clippers or a soldering iron."
So, I guess it's powered by the hub. Since there's no on/off switch,
it's also a daytime tail light.

Bonus question- What does the mirror do?

Go to:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dr2chase/11425296075
and drag the mouse around the photo. The captions for the mirror say
"Acrylic mirror to keep light down towards the road" and "Aluminum
angle - mirror glued to top, lights glued to front, holes drilled for
zip-tie attachment to basket".

The rectangular stick jammed between the mirror and basket is labeled"
Vertical aiming adjustment".

The cylindrical contraption is labeled "Greinacher-ish rectifier and
voltage doubler in corked tube". Schematic? Nope.

Other labels around the tangle of Romex electrical wire are "white
wire to hub AC power", "white wire to taillight", and "Connection of
rectifier to headlights, headlights to taillights, and taillights to
rectifier".

It's now kinda, maybe, sorta, almost, somewhat clear. If you want a
hub powered tail light to light up the road, that is how it can be
done.

His flickr page also has his helmet mounted headlight and tail light
combination:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dr2chase/with/11425296075/
Soon, everyone will be wearing an optical test bench glued to their
helmet.

Please remind me not to reference a do-it-thyself web page without
first carefully reading it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D