Old August 15th 19, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 10:31:49 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
wrote:

I suppose that being Hyperglide chains, Shimano only intends for them to be
used with 6/7/8 speed Hyperglide sprockets. I guess Hyperglide's ramps
take over the role of protruding pins snagging adjacent sprockets when
shifting.

In practice, I find that 8-speed compatible modern chains usually shift better on ancient freewheels than old style chains did. Whether that's due to increased lateral flexibility or beveled sideplates or both, I don't know.

My daily rider these days uses a Z72 8 speed chain, a Suntour 14-38 5 speed freewheel, a Microshift 9 speed rear derailleur, and Shimano 6 speed index thumbshifter. It all works fine together, which is more than you can say for a lot of newly produced stuff.

I will second that. I just put a 9 speed chain on a 6 speed with Shimano hyperdrive freewheel and it operated pretty good. Also the older heavier chains virtually lock solid with dirt whereas the newer chains just get harder to pedal.