Old March 10th 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default 6'6" beginner rider wonders: 62cm or 64cm Trek frame?

SMS wrote:

At least get a true 62 cm frame, like the Jamis Aurora. Also, in those
large frame sizes, you should think about steel, not aluminum. As others
in this thread have stated, you start to have frame cracking issues with
aluminum in bad places.

That's not what people said, they said that particular dropout style
than Cannondale used may or may not have reliability issues.

The OP is 6'6", Chalo is 6'8", I'm 6'10", how tall are you? Aluminum is
actually a pretty good frame material for big frames, it makes for a
light stiff bike. It may crack, but so many anything else. Nothing lasts
forever. So far, I've gotten better longevity from my Cannondale frame
(hasn't failed) than my Raleigh's (2 failed), nor have either of my
aluminum mountain bikes failed. Lots of miles, lots of rough service.
Frame failure isn't worth obsessing about, cranks, seat posts,
handlebars and stems worry me much more, and they're almost always aluminum.