Old March 11th 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default 6'6" beginner rider wonders: 62cm or 64cm Trek frame?

Tim McNamara wrote:

snip

The larger frame will make a big difference- I would recommend
considering an even larger frame, a 66 or 68 at your height. In order
not to feel cramped and uncomfortable with a 62 or even a 64 you would
need to resort to very long seatpost and stem.

I'm 6'4" and a 64 is about right for me.

66 or 68 are _really_ hard to find, while there are still some true 64
cm frames being sold. Probably need a custom frame for something that
big. Koga-Miyata makes 66 cm road bikes but they aren't sold in the
United States.

But it's true that a larger frame would be better (depending on the leg
length too). There's a tendency for bike shops to steer customers toward
frames that are way too small.

Very good article about all this, and a good sizing chart, at
"http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_fit/choosing_a_frame_size"

Well one good thing is that short people now have a much better
selection of bicycles than in the past.