Old May 30th 14, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

No, Ed, your very immodest desire to annex a public resource, for

which everyone pays, for your sole use ..

Edward Dolan wrote:

It doesn't matter that it is a public resource or that
everyone pays. Irrelevant and immaterial - which I have explained to you many
times before.

No, you've not done a single thing to validate such a position ... you've simply stated it, again and again, because it is what you would like to be the case. The general population is not going to pay for a parks service which doesn't cater to their needs.

Nonsense, the public pays for all sorts of things which they either don’t use or can’t use because dedicated to special purposes – such as trails for hiking.
[...]

Am I smarter and better than you?

Very much doubt it. If that were the case you wouldn't make

so many logical errors. Your whole position devolves to "I want this, I
used to have it ... therefore it's right".

Since you did not include my entire paragraph to which you
were responding above, allow me tell you to go **** yourself. You did not even
indicate that you had deleted some of what I had said. Only a scoundrel picks a
sentence out of a paragraph to respond to. Keep doing this and you will get some
profanity that will not stop.

Then I will simply ignore you. I have no time for foul-mouthed bigots.

You will either post correctly or you will reap my whirlwind. Learn how to delete and don't pick out single sentences from my paragraphs to respond to. You have been warned. I have no time for scoundrels!
[...]

All travel and hiking is best done alone. Otherwise one is too
busy interacting with others to give proper attention to what it is you are
there for in the first place. If you had ever read any travel books by travelers
(not tourists), you would know this.

If that's how you like to enjoy your hiking and travel then fine. I prefer, usually, to enjoy experiences with friends and family. It is simply a preference, not axiomatically better or worse.

All the great travel books have been written by lone travelers (Paul Theroux). After all, they are traveling, not touring. Hells Bells, you can’t even bike alone. Pathetic and pitiful!
[...]

The "best" of anything is left to the experts to tell us what
it is. As always, you are confusing and conflating "best" with "most". If you
thought about it more, even you would not want that.

Sometimes, this is correct. And the professional land managers (experts) have made their determination and come up with compromises which don't entirely suit you, or me. However, that's probably the best that can be done in the circumstances.

The land mangers are not the experts on how the natural environment and wilderness should be managed. I could give you a whole list of names of prominent wilderness conservationists who know best what the natural environment is for, but it would go right over your head.

Anyone walking a trail for recreation belongs to a universe of

common experience.

What total and utter nonsense. Everyone who goes hiking has

the same experience ? What about family groups, ramblers clubs, trail
runners, dog walkers and the numerous other users ?

I think only trail runners don't know why they are doing what
they are doing. Everyone else is wanting to connect with nature the same as me.
The experience may be qualitatively different for everyone of course, but they
are all wanting to do the same thing - to connect with nature. It is only bikers
who do not fit this profile.

You're not even consistent within one post. A few sentences above you stated that hiking and travel was best done alone. Now, you claim that social groups are actually seeking exactly the same experience as lone hikers ?

They are, but they are not achieving it as effectively as lone hikers.

Some bikers are seeking to enjoy the natural environment, others are looking more for 'thrills' ... but to assume you know what everyone wants is errant nonsense.

Bikers are interfering with what everyone else is doing. Bikers can enjoy the natural environment by getting off their bikes and walking like everyone else. But they are seeking thrills, a gross and base conflict of purpose with what hikers are doing.
[...]

" Mountain biking accidents happen because they are doing what all

mountain bikers do. The only stupidity is taking up mountain biking in the first
place. If you do it, you will suffer an injury or death. It is just a matter of
time. It is in fact inevitable."

Whereas, as I showed and you eventually were forced to concede,

the risk of a fatality or serious injury in a lifetime of mountainbiking is, in
reality, very low indeed. So, if you take up mountainbiking you will
probably live a long and healthy life.

I conceded no such thing. Where did that come from?

"You really have to work at it to manage to kill yourself" - Ed Dolan

Written shortly after you claimed that death was a near inevitability.

QED.

I claimed that accidents were inevitable, not necessarily death. If you knew how to read, you would know that I am saying that mountain bikers are so god damn ****ing dumb that they do indeed manage to kill themselves whereas if they weren’t so god damn ****ing dumb they would have to work at it. But you do not know how to read.

A paragraph will have a central thought. If you knew how to read, you would know that you must respond to that central thought. Instead you get lost on peripheral details and waste everyone’s time, including your own, because I can’t be taken in by that kind of stupidity. Most of the points you like to make are on details and not worth a response. I will simply delete your nonsensical details in the future since I value my time even if you don’t value your time.
[...]

I suggest you not argue derails with me since you do not know
how to do it. You have never refuted a single thing I have ever said. All you do
is just disagree with a **** poor argument that makes no sense at
all.

Suggestion rejected. You make so many detail errors and outright contradictory posts that someone has to highlight your nonsense.

I will no longer bother with what you consider “detail errors” or “contradictions”. Go for my main thought every time or else go **** yourself. I have wasted enough time on an idiot like you who does not know how to read anything.
[...]

It is OK if I call you a Numskull? It is hard to contest such
stupidity as yours. I want to know why you are excluding motorcycles from
trails. Everything I have against bikes on trails is equally applicable to
motorcycles on trails. What a god damn ****ing selfish lout you
are!

I didn't say I was excluding motorcycles from trails totally ... stop misrepresenting me. I said that their access had to be much more controlled because of their environmental impact. There need to be some resources where people CAN ride motorcycles.

Motorcycles need to be excluded from all trails totally – you dumb jackass – just like bikes need to be excluded from all trails totally - you dumb jackass! There are plenty of roads for bikes and motorcycles. That fact that you don’t think so marks you as the dumbest jackass I have ever encountered on any newsgroup. Ask your fellow mountain bikers if they want to share trails with motorcyclists? Your jackassery passes all understanding!
[...]

Yep, there is indeed only one natural environment and those of
us who care about it do not what it destroyed by the likes of you and your ilk.
You can ride your bikes on streets and roads of which this world has an infinite
number. Nature is precious and must be preserved above all else.

Oh, so you'd be happy to give up hiking would you Ed since that would preserve nature far better ?

We hikers take only pictures and leave only footprints.

Mountainbiking is similarly impacting on nature as hiking so we are 'destroying' it to the same degree. In actual fact, of course, both hiking and biking are the tiniest pinpricks in terms of natural degradation in comparison with all the other indignities inflicted on nature by the human species.

Mr. Vandeman is the expert on the physical impact of bikes on trails. I am concerned solely with the impact of bikes on hikers – period! We don’t want bikes on trails because what they are doing is a conflict with what we are doing.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great