Old March 8th 19, 07:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

Default New Year's Resolution

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 00:29:07 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 13:58:50 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

What kind of cleats are you using? I use the Shimano SPD cleats and
you can walk in those shoes. Granted that the shoes are a bit heavy
and the soles are stiff but they are still "walkable".

Olde Tyme slot cleats. My main reason for not walking in them is that
I can't have new ones, and it wouldn't take many miles of walking to
wear the cleats off.

I was all gung ho when clipless cleats appeared, and vowed to get that
kind the next time I bought shoes.

But I'd just bought new pedals with replaceable bearings and they
never did wear out.

The last I heard, no clipless pedal works with a pedal that can be
used with ordinary shoes. I presume there are double-sided pedals
with cleat-holders on one side and toe clips on the other, but I
settled *that* way back when my first pair of "touring" shoes wore
out. I thought for a bit about being more careful with the new shoes,
and not walking in them -- and then realized that the best compromise
between walking shoes and riding shoes was to wear one and carry the
other.

Yes Shimano makes, or has made, at least two models of double sided
pedals that can be used with either cleats or flat shoes. I use them
on my "Bangkok Bike" as in heavy city traffic I prefer not to use
cleats.

I haven't heard of touring shoes for decades. They were stiff-soled
walking shoes with tread on the sole that kept them from sliding out
of the toe clips -- but the tread wasn't very deep, and soon wore off.

--
Cheers,
John B.