Old August 8th 19, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Trek/Bontrager Wavecell Technology Helmets

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 11:41:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/7/2019 2:31 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 23:16:41 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

As I've said befo I shoot on occasion. I'm not bad at it, and it's
kind of fun. But I see no need for a civilian to own a gun that can fire
off more than a few rounds in one minute. (John got very confused on
this, measuring rate of fire over a time period of two seconds or
something - which was clearly not what I had said.)

Actually I spent several posts trying to educate you that rounds per
time period is not a valid measurement, for any practical purpose,
that is. For example: Jerry Miculek sat a record in 1999 of 8 rounds
fired from a revolver in 1 second, which translate to a firing rate of
480 rounds per minute. An AK-47 (an assualt rifle) has a firing rate
of ~600 RPM.

And no it wasn't what you said, but how else do you measure any sort
of speed of fireing in order to make a rule?

Hmm. Wow, that IS difficult. Because there's no possible way any
government official could take a sample firearm to a shooting range,
fill it and/or its magazine with its maximum round capacity, start a
stopwatch and see how many rounds could be fired in a minute. That would
be so darned complex!

Ah, O.K. So it is what is usually called "effective rate of fire" or
the number of rounds that can be fired in a specific length of time.

But I used to shoot with a State Police Sergeant who used to shoot the
Practical Police Course (PPC) now called something different and he
could, with a S&W 6 shot revolver, fire 5 rounds, reload and fire 5
more in 10 seconds or less. The 5 rounds was simply because 10 rounds
was one target's worth.

If you extend that a little and disregard the need for aimed shots one
could probably easily fire 12 rounds in 10 seconds, or less, or about
72 rounds in one minute.

So is a firearm that can be fired 72 rounds a minute all right?

The point that I am trying to make is your simple take the gun to the
range and shoot it is over simplistic and hardly a reasonable
assessment of firepower.

I see no justification for a gun that can fire a dozen rounds in five

How about 8 rounds in one second? Out of a commerically made S&W
revolver?

Sheesh, an elementary mathematical logic fail! Obviously, John, I see no
justification for that.

But Frank that is a record, fired with a standard S&W revolver. Are we
to ban all revolvers?

Frank, any semi-automatic weapon can be modified to fire fully
automatic until the magazine is empty. and it isn't rocket science.

I know that. I see no justification for doing it or permitting it. What
nut case wants to play with fully automatic guns? Why didn't they grow
out of that before they were 18?

Using the 1911 Colt as an example, you don't have to actually file the
interrupter, it will wear away in use :-)

In short, while I do hear what you say, gun laws made based on your
posts would be ludicrase.

I understand you don't like it. But I think a literal "rounds in one
minute" limit is easy to understand, easy to justify and not technically
hard to conform to.

Actually I have few complaints of much more stringent gun laws that
any that you have stipulated so far. I am merely trying to point out
to a very opinionated and generally ignorant of the subject individual
that over simplistic laws are not very effective.

But from your posts, I wonder if there are _any_ gun laws you would not
consider "ludicrase" [sic].

I asked about the gun laws where you now live. You seemed give data
indicating they work. Is it hell on earth living under those laws?
Should we adopt them in the U.S.? Or are there others that you would
propose?

Well, to apply Thai Gun laws to the U.S. would require the removal of
the 2nd amendment to the Constitution, probably a largely impossible
action.

But, to repeat my previous arguments, why do you worry so much about
22 people getting shot, occasionally, when you complacently accept
~100 daily deaths on the roads?

Or to put it another way, in 2018 there were 323 "mass shootings" in
which 387 people lost their lives. HORRORS! BAN GUNS! TERRIBLE,
TERRIBLE!

And, 36,750 died in Motor Vehicle Deaths in 2018....

--

Cheers,

John B.