Old January 8th 17, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: Helmets

On 1/7/2017 11:14 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

All summer I've been scolding myself for not getting down on the drops
often enough. There has been many a hill that I wouldn't have needed
to walk if I hadn't tried to take it sitting up.

Last Saturday (3 Dec. 2016), the dime dropped. I realized that when I
get down on the drops, the fixed eyeshade on my fancy new helmet
becomes an efficient blindfold; in order to see anything at all, I
have to twist my neck to an un-natural angle.

Quite clearly, what I have here isn't a bicycle helmet at all; it's a
BSO helmet.

Fortunately, it was about time to change back into my old helmet
anyway -- the new one is easily adjustable, but only in circumference;
the width is fixed, and that means that I can't wear it with a heavy
scarf, let alone a balaclava.

So the "helmet" is also designed only for butterfly riders who never
need to wear anything under the plastic hat.

I hate my old helmet, but it supports my Chuck Harris mirror, it fits
over winter clothing, and it provides some protection from the sun
without blocking my vision. I think I'll wear it all summer -- either
that or take a pair of tin snips to the new one.

Since discussions of helmets tend to degenerate into
"'tis,'tis not,'tis,'tis not,'tis,'tis not,'tis,'tis not, . . ."
and "you're an idiot, no you're an idiot, no you're an idiot, no
you're an idiot . . .", I'd appreciate it if you'd play by Flame
Extinguisher rules:

1] No opinion may be stated more than once. When you post your
opinion for the first time you must write it carefully, let it cool
off while you read another thread, and examine it to be sure it is
clear and complete before you post it, because you won't have another
chance.

2] No insults. No matter how stupid a post is, you may not say that
the writer is an idiot.

3] Ignore them unless they are right. (If a statement is totally
without merit, just leave it gently swinging in the wind.)

4] Never post for the sole purpose of saying that another post ought
not to have been posted. (Exception: You may say "oops, I didn't
mean to send that.".)

I greatly prefer a classic cycling cap. Or a new-ish Walz version, in
wool. The brim position is very adjustable, especially handy in these
days when the sun is low in the sky (if it happens to ever be visible).

And my mirror clips onto my normal glasses. That works with any hat, or
with none at all.

The three speed has a handlebar mirror, which is not as versatile. But
that bike is specifically designed to use immediately, with zero i.e.
ZERO preparation. Not even pinning pants cuffs.

--
- Frank Krygowski