Old May 10th 04, 10:35 PM
Chalo

Default First Helmet : jury is out.

Walter Mitty wrote:

Hmm. Just bought a cycling helmet for my last short tour which
encompassed quite a bit of city cycling. Never wore one before : don't
think I will again.

The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than offsets
the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting from my
usual spacial awareness.

I agree with your cost/benefit analysis, however as a regular
motorcyclist I will say this:

You can make peace with your helmet if it is important to you to do
so. You will have to meddle with it to obtain a scrupulously thorough
fit, even to the point of using the back of a spoon to squish your
helmet where it squishes you. And you will have to wear it, a lot,
until you are no longer annoyed by its particular sensory inputs.

I say this as a person who does not wear a helmet when riding a
bicycle unless in jest, and who often went without a motorcycle helmet
whan that was an option. I'm not fond of helmets, but I can attest
that they do not have to spoil the pleasure of riding if you are
willing to fit them properly and get used to them.

Chalo Colina