Old September 8th 20, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Fires and smoke

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 23:09:22 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

How well would a decent gas mask work?
Cheers

I don't know. I have an old gas mask with a screw in filter canister
that expired perhaps 30 years ago. I'm not thrilled with the prospect
of breathing fumes from whatever bugs and spiders have been living
inside the canister all those years. Also, no photos for a while
because I'm busy replacing my failing home machine to a better and
faster computah. The gas mask is something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Israeli-Mask-Straw-Specifications-Filter/dp/B089JMCTCS

I suppose with a proper filter, a gas mask would work quite well. The
catch is that while the shelf life of the filters is 10-20 years, once
the air seal is broken on the filter canister, I believe that the
filter is only good for perhaps one day. It might be better to find a
full face respirator as used by fire fighters, will certainly be
suitable for smoke and combustion byproducts.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D