Old September 8th 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Fires and smoke

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 9:22:28 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 8:04:11 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 10:34:05 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 17:16:41 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

And further to my last, all the fires in California -- and
some in Oregon -- have turned the skies dark around here.

View from GEOS-17 of smoking California on Labor Day afternoon.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CZU-Fire/20202511851_GOES17-ABI-psw-GEOCOLOR-1200x1200.jpg
Notice how a small area around Santa Cruz county has no smoke, while
everything around it is smoky. The white stuff off the San Diego
coast is fog, not smog.

The smoke can be views after the sun rises. Start at:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php
Select an area of interest. Then select any size image in the
GeoColor box.

I can barely breathe, and my eyes are stinging.

Non-surgical face mask helps a little. 3m "dust" mask with P100
filters are better.

Eye drops help.
https://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-care/wildfire-smoke-and-vision/
For the sore throat, I use Hall's cough drops (lemon flavored). What
really bothers me is the mild headache from breathing the CO (carbon
monoxide) mixed with the smoke. My best fix seems to be breathing
some clean air. If desperate, I've taken nitroglycerin or Isosorbide
Mononitrate ER pills, which are prescription vasodilators I take for
improving blood flow. Fortunately, I haven't had any angina symptoms,
just headaches:
https://health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/air/smoke_from_fire.htm

I also bought a Winix C535 Air Purifier at Costco for about $120.
Looks like Costco is out of stock, but does have the C545 (with Wi-Fi
controls):
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html
It will only clean the air in one 360 sq-ft room at a time. During my
12 day evacuation experience, I had trouble sleeping because of the
smoke and strange smells. The air purifier made it possible to sleep.

It really look apocalyptic outside. No view beyond a few hundred yards.

Same with the election. The view beyond November is rather hazy.

A lot of wind, too. 30mph sustained and gusting above 65mph. That's not a lot for the Gorge, but it is significant in-town. Power went out briefly last night, but so far so good. The lunch ride is going to be interesting. Wish I had some of TK's cheap Chinese aero wheels.

-- Jay Beattie.

Get ONLY the clincher versions with straight pull aero spokes and they are pretty damned good. I don't remember your weight but 28's mount really easily on real clincher rims. DO NOT over-inflate because that will delaminate the rims but that takes 120+ psi and they do not delaminate at 90 psi on the hardest bumps. The roads here are now so bad that 25's at 90 psi ride too hard for my 190 lbs. The 28's not on ride softer but on these bumpy roads they ride faster.

Just kidding about the aero wheels. In this wind, I'd get blown over. If I crack my home-office window, it sounds like screaming cats with a subwoofer -- and I get the smoldering camp fire smell. Very atmospheric. At least my house doesn't sway like my office tower. Big wind days could make me sea-sick.

-- Jay Beattie.